Boards Back Online

VertigoXX

Mid Boss
The SX Message Boards are back online.

I was attempting to merge the Nintendo Xtreme boards into the SX forums. I ran into several problems, and when I attempted to simply restore the backup, I found that the backup was messed up. (It did not place slash marks in front of apostrophes, I'm sure anyone with any programming knowledge knows what that causes.) I had to manualy edit the entire file, adding slashes in front of every apostrophe that anyone has ever typed on the boards since sometime in 2000.

I apologize for the long down time this has caused.

I intend to complete the merger, however I will be running all processes on copies of the database until all the bugs are worked out.

Sincerely,

Vertigo Xi'an Xavier

Originally posted by VertigoXX@May 23, 2004 @ 10:03 PM

I had to manualy edit the entire file, adding slashes in front of every apostrophe that anyone has ever typed on the boards since sometime in 2000.

WoW :eek:

I'm glad everything is 'okay' now (at least posts weren't lost :) ).

Originally posted by gameboy900@May 24, 2004 @ 03:04 AM

Erm...couldn't you have just done a search and replace on all appostrophes?

Seems like that would have made it easier.

I guess it's because there was a lot SQL insert like this :

Code:
insert into MY_TABLE(ID,DESCR) values (1,'it's a beautiful life');

insert into MY_TABLE(ID,DESCR) values (2,'it's a beautiful life(bis)');

Thanks VertigoXX for putting back the forums :thumbs-up:

You can use regular expressions to exclude SQL queries, HTML, and other stuff from the replacements...

Originally posted by VertigoXX@May 23, 2004 @ 05:03 PM

I had to manualy edit the entire file, adding slashes in front of every apostrophe that anyone has ever typed on the boards since sometime in 2000.

you're the fucking man, cheers! :cheers

I did for obvious ones, like contractions. However, an SQL query uses apostrophes to seperate each item in the table, reading something like this:

INSERT INTO `sx_posts` VALUES ('messagenumber', '0', 'dateedited', '14', 'postername', '1', '1', 'iii.ip.address.here.iii', 'dateposted', '0', ' Your message goes here, ain\'t that neat? ', '0', '820', '43', '', '0', '', '', 'NULL', 'NULL, 'editedby');

So I could search for things like "e'r" and "i'l" and "u'r" but not " 's" because there are more usernames here beginning with the letter S than any other letter.

Anyways, it is now fixed, and I've figured out how to do enough manual commands in SQL that I can make a copy of the database to work on (the copy command was missing from SX's PHPMyAdmin program) without having to touch this one until I know it is done right. And even then, I'll just use the RENAME command to keep the existing database intact while I test whatever needs tested.

I should have thought of all this before beginning, but I was just trying to do something that needed done and occupy my brain.

Now that SX and NX is merged, shouldn't the website be renamed and everything merged? Like ConsoleXtreme, or Sega-Tendo Fusion or something like that?

Just my 2p.

Now that SX and NX is merged, shouldn't the website be renamed and everything merged? Like ConsoleXtreme, or Sega-Tendo Fusion or something like that?

Nahhh, unless it's something like "SegaXtreme +nintendo" or the like. ;) SX is more popular, anyway.

Only the forums are merged so why changing the name of the site? The Sx forum includes already the 3DO Xtreme forum and it kept his name. Maybe a logo before each main part(SX forum, NX forum and 3DOX) of the forums could be great :)

Originally posted by racketboy@May 25, 2004 @ 11:50 AM

yeah now that we will have t-shirts that say SEGAXTREME!!!

Yeah, but the last time I checked there's only a handful of people that will have them. :(

Yeah, but who says the next year's shirts will say SEGA on them???

Besides, don't we have to change everything to SAMMY XTREME now anyhow? (joking)

Originally posted by VertigoXX@May 25, 2004 @ 03:14 PM

Yeah, but who says the next year's shirts will say SEGA on them???

Besides, don't we have to change everything to SAMMY XTREME now anyhow? (joking)

D'oh!

Back