Cd burn quality or faulty saturn laser?

I recently burned a copy of SF3 scen 2 and 3, however scen 2 freezes during the first fight when it loads the first character battle animation and says "cant read cd check cd or laser." Now initially i figured my laser was shot, since ive used it so much and for long periods of time but when i play scen 3 it almost never has that problem and when it does it usually catches up and continues going. Now do I have a bad burn of scen 2 or is it just my laser is weird, or maybe is it both?

Also if youre still reading this somehow, when using a cd-rw drive, if you slow it down intentionaly does it help to make a better copy?

Now do I have a bad burn of scen 2 or is it just my laser is weird, or maybe is it both?

Probably a combination of both, but could also be a problem with the burner or media. How does your Saturn fare reading originals?

Also if youre still reading this somehow, when using a cd-rw drive, if you slow it down intentionaly does it help to make a better copy?

Depends on the drive and media. Some drives do well at all speeds, speeds, some do better at slower speeds, and at least one (an older Yamaha one IIRC) does fine at its slowest and fastest speed, but has tons of errors at its middle speed. You'll have to experiment to be sure. Likewise, some media handles high-speed burning better than other media. Also, if you have an older drive, there might be dye compatibility issues - an older drive is more likely to be optimized for cyanine dye rather than phlalocyanine (I probably misspelled that just now; edit: it's "phthalocyanine" - try saying that ten times fast :biggrin:) dye. Check your burner manufactuer's website to see what media brands they recommend. If you can't find that information, the following seem to have a good track record:

- TDK (but steer clear of lower-priced "TDK" discs made in Taiwan, as these are not made by TDK)

- Taiyo Yuden (produces the "That's CD-R" brand, and is used by some other companies)

- Mitsui

- Kodak (I heard they're getting out of the media business though)

Hope this helps...

(Edited by ExCyber at 11:10 am on April 1, 2002)

I haven't had any issues with Imation discs on different drives. I burn everything at the slowest speed after finding I get better general reliability/drive compatibility that way.

The only media I have tried that I would strongly recommend staying away from is Memorex. I had nothing but problems with them, and threw a full spindle of them in the trash a while ago.

Anyone know what manufacturer makes newer Imation discs? I'd like to be able to pick up some good ones locally... According to CD Media World's database, they've used Taiyo Yuden, TDK, and Kodak in the past, but also CMC Magnetics (which is a mixed bag; a lot of Memorex discs for example are CMC Magnetics or made from their masters).

wow thanks for the help, the thing is I thought about the laser strength and i did increase it to as strong as it could be to still read the discs correctly, and i did work, only it didnt work enough and I got fewer errors, but enough to screw me over, so that wasnt it

heres the other thing, it does seem to run reg saturn games but every now and then it still would give cd error (with laser at reg speed) but when i run scen 2 it screws up alot, and when i run scen 3 it got me to the fourth battle before any problems.....to me that sounds like i burned it wrong, but then again it still did it on my other games, and sometimes wouldnt read at all?

Thank you for the help, it think i'll try it at 4x speed, another forum said that would work best on saturn

Back