Dracula X Extended mod patch by paul_met

Hey Paul is there a way to replace the Japanese audio? I would love to have the English Psx version in it. I also used AI cloning to dub the Maria fight so the Psx voices are 100% to replace the Japanese. either you or Knight Of Dragon know how to do this.
There is always a way - if only you have the desire and free time. Once upon a time I already experimented with replacing the sound in this game, but that was all. If anyone wants to make sure that the sound replacement works, I have attached a file with the very first line in the game, which Richter says in English.
Installation:
  • Extract the file "SDF0.PCM" from the game ISO.
  • Open the file "SDF0.PCM" in a hex editor and update the data at address 222200h (using the attached file).
  • Save changes and paste the "SDF0.PCM" file back into the game ISO using the CDMage utility.

Attachments

• Test.zip
    35.3 KB · Views: 59
There is always a way - if only you have the desire and free time. Once upon a time I already experimented with replacing the sound in this game, but that was all. If anyone wants to make sure that the sound replacement works, I have attached a file with the very first line in the game, which Richter says in English.
Installation:
  • Open the file "SDF0.PCM" in a hex editor and update the data at address 222200h (using the attached file).
  • Save changes and paste the "SDF0.PCM" file back into the game ISO using the CDMage utility.
While on that thought, can you point in the general direction as to where I can find the Japanese text dialogue for the game? I would spend some time and see if I can cook something.

It's sad there's aparently a silent competition instead of cooperation hacking this game. Would be much better to have one patch working with another like we see with several games on other systems.

While on that thought, can you point in the general direction as to where I can find the Japanese text dialogue for the game? I would spend some time and see if I can cook something.
As far as I remember, all dialogues consist of a separate set of tiles and tile maps (each dialogue has its own set like "*.CHR +*.PTN")

Installation:
Wow someone actually replied! very cool.
Thank you so much for the information. now I need to look into learning to use a hex editor. lol
I gave up think no one would help at all. and so been gone for a minute. thank you again, now at least I have a bit of info and a place to start. again I cannot thank you enough Paul_met

The Extended version is no longer relevant because there is now an Ultimate version.

Oh this is really good. PSP redub and retranslation is only second to the original for me. Noticed you've improved many things compared to your previous work too.
As a side note I think the text and item name boxes are a bit too bright.

The Extended version is no longer relevant because there is now an Ultimate version.

Fantastic work. Will probably be one of my go-to ways to replay this game again and again for the foreseeable future (outside of Romhacks that really change the base game) due to the extra areas, and extra content in general over the PSX/DXC versions.

Will keep up with whatever gets added as QoLs and any other optional add-ons/variations (such as old english VA & JP VA to name simple variations) to this incredible and already, in many ways, a finished project that seemed to be a pipe dream many years ago, and it must have been a pretty big undertaking to get to this point overall. That being said. Thank you for your efforts, those efforts we're all going to be thankful for... for years to come, for such a beloved entry in the Castlevania Metroidvania-style series.

A versão Extended não é mais relevante porque agora existe uma versão Ultimate .

O trabalho ficou lindo, Paul, maravilhoso.
Agora tenho uma pergunta e um humilde pedido.

A questão é que a nova roupa de Richter é obrigatória para que ele apareça com a nova roupa ou podemos escolher isso ao iniciar um novo jogo com Alucard na introdução da luta de Richter contra Drácula ou com o próprio Richter em seu jogo?

Meu humilde pedido seria, se você puder, é claro, colocar a dublagem em inglês da versão clássica do PSX/PS1 e mudar a foto do perfil de Richter na luta contra o Drácula para uma foto mais jovem dele de Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, então faça isso mais bonita e fiel com a história dos acontecimentos deste jogo ocorrendo antes dos acontecimentos de Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Como a montagem da imagem;
Castlevania SOTN2.png

baixar.jpg

MV5BZGM3ZTVhNzktODhiZi00OTY2LWFiMzctZDQ0MTFiNzM5NWQzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk1MjA5MjM@._V1_.jpg

baixar (1).jpg
E quem sabe, trocar os sprites da roupa alternativa de Richter por uma mais fiel à sua imagem no jogo que fizeram um mod para PSX tirando do jogo mugen Castlevania Fighter.
Eu teria preferido que o sprite New Richter aparecesse após a luta de flashback.
Já que eles usaram o hack Mem para muitas modificações de RAM no PSX, não há uma maneira de carregar o novo sprite no lugar do antigo, trocando-o pela RAM do Saturn?

15585375_154762365005851_3710063996080842477_o.jpg

Cores PSX SotN:
PSX SotN Colors.png

Núcleos derivados do PSX
PSX Derived Colors.png

E ainda mude a tela de título para o nome da versão americana. Obrigado pela atenção e desculpe por qualquer coisa.

00294.23ZGip3.gif

Attachments

• proxy.gif
    proxy.gif
    47.7 KB · Views: 14
  • proxy.gif
    proxy.gif
    47.7 KB · Views: 13
  • PSX SotN Colors.png
    PSX SotN Colors.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I restored the original Japanese audio to the Ultimate mod, but it doesn't sound good at all.
Lines are cut mid-speech, probably due to them being much shorter in English.

Don't know if Paul is completely aware, maybe he is, but there's still some Japanese Audio for important characters still left in the game... such as Dracula's transformation from 1st to final form in the prologue, Maria coming in to aid Richter in the fight when your health reaches zero, she is still talks in Japanese & the Librarian shopkeeper speaks in Japanese when you go in and out, buy, etc from his menus.

There may be more instances that need to be patched out to fully have English audio in every instance that the PSP/PSX port had english audio. Not that far into the game, but these are the ones that I've noticed... seems like a lot of these lingering Japanese audio files are in-game gameplay audio voice acting instances that still need to have their audios switched to English... outside of cutscenes.

Hopefully this is of any help.

EDIT: When you die to Maria in the Saturn/DXC exclusive fight, her last words to you in the Game Over screen are also still in Japanese, like I said before... audio bits outside of cutscenes like battle/in-game audio bits, some are still in Japanese.

Last edited:
I restored the original Japanese audio to the Ultimate mod, but it doesn't sound good at all.
Lines are cut mid-speech, probably due to them being much shorter in English.
Please tell me how you did this. I was told once a game is patched it can not be repatched. maybe that only goes for lines of code??? and not the files in the ISO. I plan on learning to use a hex editor to put the psx voice in it. if you have any other tips more than what Paul was such a great person to tell me. please help me out. not asking for a full walk through. but just a overview of steps I need to use. like what hex editors and any other programs. far as the text being to long or short. I know my way around audio editing, and willing to try to make it work. any details would be a god sent to me. and maybe a youtube video if you know of one that works with the same kind of audio replacement. I'm a total newb with hex editing. I'm assuming save edits are the same as hex editing in new audio? I seen a lot of video's on that. anyway you and Paul have gave me hope of having the greatest version of NITM ;) thank you both.

Please tell me how you did this. I was told once a game is patched it can not be repatched. maybe that only goes for lines of code??? and not the files in the ISO. I plan on learning to use a hex editor to put the psx voice in it. if you have any other tips more than what Paul was such a great person to tell me. please help me out. not asking for a full walk through. but just a overview of steps I need to use. like what hex editors and any other programs. far as the text being to long or short. I know my way around audio editing, and willing to try to make it work. any details would be a god sent to me. and maybe a youtube video if you know of one that works with the same kind of audio replacement. I'm a total newb with hex editing. I'm assuming save edits are the same as hex editing in new audio? I seen a lot of video's on that. anyway you and Paul have gave me hope of having the greatest version of NITM ;) thank you both.
you are not going to hex edit your way into patching these games. That will only help you change value. You need to learn the machine language and how the machine works.

When it comes to the audio, it is a type of ADPCM. You can get the algorithm at vgmstream/src/meta/sat_dvi.c at 5de0d0553790d1f05437397d35560c699eaa9a2f · vgmstream/vgmstream. You also need to handle all of the pointers (It is why the person you commented on is having issues)

@paul_met I'm almost over with the normal castle and found some things to report.
- All the familiars are speaking in japanese, as well as Alucard, Maria and Richter while performing their movesets.
- When you get the Gravity Boots, the text is displayed above it's window.
- Corrupted word when playing Maria and facing these gates:
20240105_233856.jpg

- After the text intro in the prologue, it takes a long time to the word "Dracula X" to materialize. Maybe if you slow down the texts before, it should aleviate the wait and synch better.

About the hack in general, it's already my favorite way to play sotn on saturn but I think you should consider doing one or all of the following:

- Offering a version without the black bars removal. It's jarring to see backgrounds and things we are not supposed to see at the top and bottom of the screen. It breaks imersion too.
- Using the USA Castlevania SoTN name and logo since this is a completely localized patch.
- Include the original enlarged FMV like KoD did on his patch because the saturn ones are severely cropped.
- Don't change the Richter outfit at the prologue. It doesn't make sense plotwise.
- At last revert the portraits at the select screen to the original ones. The new ones are ugly and clash with the game graphics and art.

Oh, I can swear the Long Library has less slowdowns now. Playing this version via Saroo is a bless, the loadings are even more shorter.

- All the familiars are speaking in japanese, as well as Alucard, Maria and Richter while performing their movesets.
In this case, a different audio format is used, which has not yet been mastered.

- When you get the Gravity Boots, the text is displayed above it's window.
I'd like to see a screenshot.

- Offering a version without the black bars removal. It's jarring to see backgrounds and things we are not supposed to see at the top and bottom of the screen. It breaks imersion too.
I'll fix this when I solve the problem with the compressed tilemaps.

I'd like to see a screenshot
Thanks for the reply. About the gravity boots, it caught me off guard and sadly I didn't take a photo. It's located above the clock room, middle passage. I'll see if I can catch one on the many playthroughs on YT.

Found it. It's bellow the text window. You can see it at 2:00:28 here.

Editing this post to report more issues.
-Skull lord is glitched in the inverted castle
20240107_001026.jpg

-Maria's teleport light pillar is dithered. About Alucard's teleport light pillar, there are many visual artifacts, not present on his magic pillars.
20240106_000846.jpg

-There is a glitch on the Castle Center's teleport room map. It is completed but the map prints it black. Loaded the same save with the original game and it's fine.
20240107_001650.jpg

About the Godspeed Shoes. It's fantastic now you can actually run without slowing down the game to a craw. This item was always a monkey's paw and now it's usable.

Last edited:
- After the text intro in the prologue, it takes a long time to the word "Dracula X" to materialize. Maybe if you slow down the texts before, it should aleviate the wait and synch better.
There's nothing special here. It's just that the English text is shorter than the Japanese. Therefore, it seems to you that the inscription Dracula X takes a long time to appear. I don't think it's a problem to wait an extra couple of seconds.

-There is a glitch on the Castle Center's teleport room map. It is completed but the map prints it black. Loaded the same save with the original game and it's fine.
View attachment 9292
This is not a bug. This room is just painted a special color. On a map of a regular castle, this color is different from the color of unvisited rooms. But on an inverted map, due to Gouraud's shading, the color of this room becomes darker and blends in with the unvisited rooms. I'll change the color to a lighter one.

Back