I just don't get it.

Taelon

Established Member
Greetings y'all! I'm posting here for the first time ever... and something just perplexes me about you guys and the whole Saturn scene. Apparently people want to share games as CD images and spend their time trying to get into FTP's or get lucky enough to go to websites such as www.saturn.best.cd at the right time and find a 'download of the week' there or whatever.

WHY - I ask you - isn't anything sharing their Saturn games in WinMX or Gnutella or other such networks??

I have been trying for a long time to find games there, without success... and in fact I decided I would be the first one to do the sharing myself. So, off I went, downloaded a few ISOs from saturn.best.cd just days before it mutated into a redirector for www.yahoo.com ;-) and am sharing them on WinMX as we speak. In the past few days, only two ppl have downloaded 'em (OK, I have a meagre selection so far anyhow) and they were Japanese users, apparently. SOMEONE must want Christmas NiGHTS, which I have :)

So, c'mon people ... forget the whole FTP thing ... people share tons of PSX and even Dreamcast games, why not Saturn?

I just don't get it.

For the record, I'm online on WinMX (+ all major OpenNap servers) as much as possible and you can find my games by simply typing "sega saturn" into the search field and looking for .zip archives (no .ace or .rar nonsense) ....

cause you have no #### control over who downloads what and how much, and cause most file sharing services suck bigtime half the time, servers being down or slow as fuck, etc.

and that "ace and rar nonsense" often has a MUCH higher compression, compared to zip.

Well, geez. First of all, who cares who downloads what and how? You don't have that control with websites or even FTP either (you don't know who you're really giving out logins to etc.) ...

Second, I didn't say ace and rar weren't as good or better than zip... I don't dispute they are... but I find downloading triple-packed archives a pain, personally. (If you're going to voice subjective opinions, then so am I :p)

Third... Filesharing services are slow and hard to use? Oh, and FTP servers are easy to get into!!?? At least filesharing networks don't get taken offline by half-assed companies etc...

But I want to reiterate that this isn't meant as a discussion of the merits of filesharing vs. FTP/HTTP. I'm just wondering why no one is USING filesharing for Saturn images, and only Saturn images?

I guess filesharing just didn't catch on for Saturn images. Keep in mind that the user base for this would depend on the number of Saturn game (disc or ISO) owners who know how to rip Saturn games into image files and or burn them.

I guess I'll insert a plug for Freenet at this point. Hopefully the brilliant guys behind it will conjure up something that works a bit more smoothly in the not-too-distant future. As it stands now, it's really not up to the task of hosting Saturn games, but someday... :).

If you like file sharing programs then use Direct Connect and log onto classicsega.dns2go.com. There, tons of people share Saturn/Sega CD Isos. But I still prefer FTPs, because whenever I upload something my download decreases to nill. I'm not against uploading, in fact if I ever did come across a game not on the FTPs I would upload it for everyone to download. It's just that being on 56k really sucks to upload the game to everyone everyone who wants it.

you have TOTAL control over who downloads what on ftp. you can see the hostmask and IP, so it's quite easy to detect if the login is given out, and you can even restrict the login to certain IPs only.

and every single file sharing service that got big was taken down in the past, with most of the current ones already being sued too.

Taelon: your words make me sad, and also make me laugh. Arakon and ExCyber: your words make me laugh at Taelon. I make my words simple so Taelon can understand them, as simple as single packed compression files. Keep talking Taelon!!

Back