I need some basic info about Neo geo (cart) home version ...

Hi! I wanted to know some basic things about a neo geo home system (cartrigde version, not neo geo cd), it is also known as "AES", isn´t it?

Ok, I want to know if japanese or american cartrigdes will work on a pal system, or if this system has some type of territory lockout ....

And the last thing ... I have read that I can use pcmacia cards as memory cards for this system, if this is true, what model & type of pcmacia cards??

Yes, the home system is commonly called AES (the arcade system is MVS). Cartridges should work on systems of different territories, although there might be some exceptions (not sure about this). One of the neat features of the Neo-Geo is that the carts have all the territory versions and detect which to use based on the system's territory though some do not have translations for all territories. As for memory cards, PCMCIA Type II (in theory Type I would work also, but see my sig for more on that) flash or SRAM cards should work; complex beasts like disk drives probably won't.

there's no lockout at all, since the games are all identical for all regions and even AES and MVS (except for the cart size and different connectors between arcade and home).

pcmcia type 2 sram carts work for sure, not sure about flash.

Well, thanks for the info ..... but I have one more question ...

I have read that there are two types of neo geo, (something like model 1 & model 2 in saturn) ... the first release (the old one) only have RF output and mono sound and has less visual quality (some colors look strange), and the second release (the newest one) outputs A/V, stereo sound (and no problem with strange colors)... so, anyone knows if PAL neo geo are release one or release two?? I want to know, because I can buy for the same price a ntsc-j or a pal neo geo ... (I think I will pick the jap. one (60 hz as default), because I don´t want to modify the pal one (50-->60 hz)

How can I identify a neo geo from release 1 to release 2 (serial number, or anything else?) ....

there's actually 3 different ones, none have stereo other than over the headphone jack, and all have RGB and AV. the oldest model has good av, bad rgb, the middle ones have good rgb, bad av, the last ones have good output on both. the power supplies also differ, some use 5 V, 3A, others use 9 V, 1.2A.

the pal models aren't really pal models anyways.. all neogeos are identical (between countries), except for some jumper and/or bios settings. all models were released everywhere. try going for a high serial number.

Back