Interesting Read on the Dual Shock Fiasco

So Immersion either:

1) Is actually so stupid they just assume Nintendo's technology is different without even checking, forfeiting millions of dollars.

2) Made a deal with Nintendo off the books before taking Sony/Microsoft to court

3) Looked at Nintendo's claim to be first to the rumble technology and feared getting counter-sued and/or losing credibility going up against Sony/Microsoft.

I'm thinking number 3, but its a bit of a guess. Isn't it a tad bit peculiar they just "never analysed Nintendo products" when so much money is at stake?

Actually, i do believe that Nintendo's technology does work differently and i think that Immersion knows it. I just don't see the reason why they don't say that.

I bet that Sony's pissed that Johnny Cochran's dead now >.<

Man, this has gotta be the dirtiest, most underhanded scheme to bring down a videogame competitor ever... and i'm glad that Nintendo ain't any part of it :)

Man, i can't wait until the revolution hits store shelves... Free Wireless Internet is gonna CRUSH anything that MS or Sony can put out :ph34r:

How I bloody love it!!!

I think I'll buy a slim PS2, just to make Sony pay Microsoft!!!

Maybe not but you get my point...

Rumble Pak technology rules...

How is Nintendo's rumble technology different? I've seen Sony's and Microsoft which are quite similar but I've never had a Gamecube controller break on me :)

But **** rumble technology, Wavebirds rock.

Ammut said:
How is Nintendo's rumble technology different? I've seen Sony's and Microsoft which are quite similar but I've never had a Gamecube controller break on me :)

But **** rumble technology, Wavebirds rock.
Preach it brotha!

Yeah, but imagine this... wavebird + rumble! Of course, that'd reduce battery life to like... 10 hours :(

I wonder if MS and Immersion were in this together from the very beginning... CONSPIRACY THEORY!

From what I read the only difference that they pointed out was that XBOX and PS pads were dual shock (two motors) Nintendo was always uni motor. Interesting in seeing the results :D

When I look at the issue generally, I see a not so big japanese game company, a quite big electronics company, and a gigantic software company. You would think suing the bigger companies would prove more beneficial, wouldn't you?

I'm liking. Capitalists turn the world into a less-than-perfect place (even more so) to live in. Although, I have a feeling this doesn't really put a big dent in either of their wallets...

The world will never be perfect... there will always be greed and as such there must always be capitalism. Unless we can deprogram ourselves from using money.

But whatever, Immersion did begin by suing the big companies, but Microsoft settled out of court. That's why they got the sweet deal. Now sony's not being offered the same deal (i assume) and are pretty much forced to win the case (which they won't).

If Immersion truely has the patent and Sony is infringing on it; Sony is liable. In the very begining, Sony could have negotiated; they just chose not to. Lately, MS has been loosing all their lawsuits, and it has cost them heavily. The probably looked at this case and realised how weak an argument they had.

However, I am sure when MS was negotiating a settlement, they veiwed the stock purchase as a strong profit making move. If they new they were going to lose, they could assume Sony would too.

Back