Internet Connection Sharing with DC

I was wondering if there is any way to share my internet connection between my PC and DC using XP's ICS. Any ideas or anyone done something like this? Unfourtuntly I have a USB ADSL modem, hence the whole ICS thing, though I do have an enthernet card.

Any info would be great, plus what would I use? The Lan, BBA or dial up adaptor?

Thanks for your time.

Well, you could use the BBA if you had one,; you'd basically need to configure your computer as a router and plug the DC directly in. It takes some tweaking for each game you plan on using though (unless you're going to just use it for web surfing).

You can do the same thing with the DC's modem, however it is a bit of a pain and probably you'll have to build a small device to get it working (the parts only cost about $5 though and it's very simple). Google for "PC-DC connection" or "PC-DC Server", I think the page is probably still around on consolevision or something but it's been forever since I've looked at it.

edit - oh yeah, also note you'll need a modem in your pc as well if you want to use the second method.

Stuck on the complicated bit :damn: , trying to get the modem to answer the phone line without it actually ringing.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I use just a bog standard modem, nowt special.

Are you talking about with the PC?

Use Hyperterminal (comes with Windows) to send the command ATA to the modem. ATH should hang up.

Yes, the ATA command will answer the line, but as I said before, you might need to build that little device (schematics are on the site). Basically what it does is provides the voltage that a normal phone line provides; if your modem doesn't detect this it will refuse to answer at all (actually, that depends on the modem, but most are like this). If it says NO DIALTONE or just refuses to do anything after you type ATA, this is what's happening.

Also note that auto-answer mode won't work- there is no actual ring, so you need to do it manually.

Right, I have done all the steps on the website apart from that editing the registry for the modem bit. Is this ATA thing away around it? :huh

If so it looks like I will have to build that voltage simulator thing. :(

Also I tried the Hyperterminal thing, it doesn't find a dail tone, but a few seconds later the hyper terminal says it is connected. I then tried the ata command, the modem makes some screeching noises, stops and hyper terminal says "No Carrier". Anyone understand this?

Looks like I'm gonna fire up the old dual booting again :( Worth a shot

Anyone knows if there is a hardware store/chain in the UK that'll make me the Voltage line simulator?

Don't bother with that, it's seriously like five or ten minutes worth of work. I didn't even solder mine. It's very easy if you build the simplified version which they have on the page.

Although, reading your post, you may not have to do any of that. If you're getting screeching noises it means your modem is actually attempting to answer the call. Don't pay attention to the 'connected' message in HyperTerminal, that just means that HyperTerm is 'connected' to the modem.. nothing more. I suggest you get a list of Hayes modem commands as it may help you tweak some settings.

The screeching noise comes from the answering modem first; you should hear the other modem start to train itself once everything is working.

Basically, what you need to do is have your DC start dialing out, then when you think the DC has finished dialing, have the PC pick up the line. It should connect on its own and everything should work from there if you have routing set up correctly.

If you can get HyperTerminal to CONNECT to the DC modem (even though the connection is essentially useless), then you don't need any other line thingies or shit like that. The problem is that there are two disctinct DC modem types. The early modems allowed this direct connection to work properly. Later models removed the capability (and there is no work around really) and just plain refuse to work.

Ok I've tried Hyperterminal, still get nothin'

I tried editing the registry exactly like the website said, all that happens is that my PC modem continously clicks when I open the port, But my dreamcast just sits there "Dialing Modem" for a year or two.

Anyone got any ideas?

Just out of curiosity, would this work with my Saturn? But I'll Focus on the Dreamcast first

Well, trying out the voltage thing is about the only thing I can think of at this point (even though I said in my last post you shouldn't need it, heh).. it's hard to say if that's the problem or not without knowing the exact order and method you're using, especially with my memory being a bit hazy on what I did when I was screwing around with this. Gameboy is somewhat correct as far as the two modem types go, but the line simulator does in fact enable those later modems to work as well, IIRC.

As for the Saturn, it should work if you have the right hardware, but it also depends on whether the modem is capable of ignoring dialtone or not.

BTW, what software are you using on the DC to try and connect?

I have several of these units that plug into the usb port of a computer and allows standard phone lines to be used as a 10BT ethernet connection between computers. I wonder if one could be used to connect a DC to a cable modem or connect to the net through a pc? Their made by SMC.

I have serveral to use. I'm using the US web browser, I think it is version 2.6

I also have:

DreamKey v.3.0

XDP Browser

It aslo should be mentioned that I am using a UK console, I think that means the modem is 33.3Kps, so different from USA ones.

Ok, just asking because there were certain pieces of software I coudn't get working using this method (Bomberman Online springs to mind). Any of the browsers should work fine however.

Sadly, however, I think I've given all the advice I can think of. There may be some difference with the UK modem (specifically, the voltage required may be different -- not sure how phone systems work in the UK), but I would suggest you keep plugging away at it and hopefully you'll come up with something. I can't recall if the DC modem has a speaker or not, but if it does you should probably enable it so you can tell what it's doing as well.

It doesn't have a speaker. Also not all games can be made to work this way. Only the ones that support blind dial can and even then some still don't work.

Well I've done the dual boot thing, hence tryin to get this to work on WindowsME :puke: but ssdd, I am gonna now try building that Voltage line simulator thing, I have bought most of the parts but I do not know what a "4 Cond. Surface Jack Dual-Surface Mount-U.L. (Dual Jack housing mount)" is, nor do the staff at B&Q :blink: , can anyone tell me what this is in simple terms?

Thanks again

It's just a wall plate with two phone jacks on the front and four screw terminals on the back.

Back