IP banning from Invision Boards

Jaded God

Established Member
When you have multiple accounts on an invision board and you cannot login then they did an IP ban right? Subnet ban.. Or what?

Isn't there a way to change your ip... I am not on a static 56k, WOW cable.

So do they ban your IP from your ISP?

IP bans can be quite specific or very broad. It depends on what the admins for that board have set.

on a 56k modem, just restart your computer, to change the IP address.

on broadband, some can, some can't. depends on the ISP.

dial-up services have a limited number of IP addresses (cheaper since not everyone is on at the same time), called a Pool. when you log on to your ISP, you get a random number from the pool.

unfortunately, when dial-up user is banned, usually the IP is broad to cover this.

for Broadband, the ones you have to dial up may have an IP pool just like dial-up.

for always on connections, it is usually a static IP that never changes. thus, the board can just use a specific IP ban.

Fool around with your mac address, I've scene that often times your ISP assigns your ip to your mac. Meaning you still use DHCP to get your ip, but it's reserved for you, so you basically always get the same one.

My cable company uses the MAC ID of my cable modem, so even if that would change my IP, it's a major pain. I'd have to call them and tell they that I "Got a new modem", so they could put it on their service and kill the old ID. With these people, who knows how that would end...

Also, I don't know if it would even matter. My IP occasionally changes anyway.

Well I know if I reformat or whatever it usually changes, but any other options. I know I have a an IP that doesn't change.. I use WOW cable. I know that they just banned that IP address, I am sure of it.

Anyways to get around it without screwing up my comp?

Contact your ISP and ask them. The ISP I work for, we can temporarily remove and IP from our pool if a person is having issues with it. They might be able to help you out. Just tell them someone keeps hacking your system by using your IP address.

Back