Mega Man 8 Saturn & PSX... Rock Man Forte..

I’m going to try to complete Mega Man 8. I have both the Saturn & PSX versions. Apart from the PSX having better quality videos are there any other differences (Graphics, better gameplay, extra/secret levels) between the 2? Which one should I complete?

One thing I noticed is that the Saturn version seems to be a bit slower than the PSX version?! But I’m not sure… Is it my idea?

Also the sound effects to music ratio seem to be a bit better on the PSX.

What do you guys think?

I have a modded PAL Saturn (Euro) & modded PAL PSX (Euro) & 2 USA copies of Mega Man 8. (Saturn & PSX)

I have completed all the original Mega Man games & the X series.

The only ones left are Mega Man 8 & Rockman & Forte (Mega Man 9)? Should I 1st beat MM8 or Forte? Or it doesn’t have any impact to the story line?

Also which one is harder?

For me it seems to be the PSX as I beat GrenadeMan on the Saturn with my 1st go, where as on the PSX I lost 3 lives. It could be incidental though.

I’m seeking the ultimate story line-combo experience from the Mega Man Saga So your answers will be appreciated.

Unless you've done the video mod on your Saturn it's going to run at 50Hz while the US Playstation version will be running at 60Hz. Given the usual developer apathy regarding PAL conversions it's not a big surprise the game would run slower as well.

Originally posted by antime@Tue, 2005-05-24 @ 12:27 AM

Unless you've done the video mod on your Saturn it's going to run at 50Hz while the US Playstation version will be running at 60Hz. Given the usual developer apathy regarding PAL conversions it's not a big surprise the game would run slower as well.

[post=134442]Quoted post[/post]​

No I havent done the video mod on the Saturn. I only installed a mod chip to play backups.

But yes you're right. That's why it's slower.

But how come the US PSX MM8 runs at 60HZ on my modded PAL PSX console, while the US Saturn MM8 runs at 50HZ on my PAL modded Saturn. I'm using an Action Replay 4M plus to play non PAL games on the PAL Saturn & havent done any video mod for the PSX, only the mod chip & the SCART cable to play in colour.

Cart-AReplay4MB.gif

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=&products_id=1694

Thanks in advance.

On the Playstation the display frequency is set by the software, on the Saturn it's determined by a hardware jumper.

I personally like the saturn one more not for the game itself but I like the controller more.

Originally posted by antime@Tue, 2005-05-24 @ 11:35 AM

On the Playstation the display frequency is set by the software, on the Saturn it's determined by a hardware jumper.

[post=134456]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks for the info

the saturn version has some extra bosses I believe, and the sprites seem a bit bigger.

Yup. Cut Man and Wood Man, IIRC. Also, Rock Man & Forte is much more challenging and fun, IMO. It comes after MM8 storyline-wise, and a couple of bosses are reused from MM8 (but with different attacks and stages). RM&F is the best Mega Man game, IMO. There's a good translation patch out there.. make sure you get the one that patches the CD database. There's an English GBA version as well, which is pretty good, but the music doesn't sound good compared to the SFC version.

The only thing better about the playstation version of MegaMan 8 is the FMV quality. The Saturn version is better every other way. It looks slightly better, plays a little better, has extra bosses as already mentioned (one which is located in an extra room), and has a bonus mode which is not the playstation version. The bonus has a sound test for the music and voices, a movie wiewer, and artwork gallery. The Saturn version is a bit more challenging since some areas have more enemies than the playstation version.

Rockman & Forte is not part 9, but it does take place after part 8. But to be more exact, it takes place after Mega Man 2 The Power Fighters (which happens after part 8.) Confused yet? :D

Back