NeoGeo CD emu for DC - new version 8!

racketboy

Established Member
This just in from DCEmulation.com:

NeoCD/SDL DC, the port of NeoCD/SDL to the Dreamcast, has been updated. Here's what's new:

- PVR rending no longer using SDL for video.

- PVR filtering grafix smoothing. *BILINEAR*

- No Frameskip needed code removed.

- UP to 10fps faster.

- All clipping problems sides of screen fixed.

- VGA support should be center now.

- Code reduction optmizing.

- Many games have hit fullspeed now

- Not all games are fullspeed

- No SFX

- Seems to be some CDDA improvement now with some game tracks

- cdaudio(kos) used By Troy Davis (GPF)

- loading times are faster there is no loading screen any more not needed

- splash screen stays to the game has loaded no black screen and more

Official Site

Great to see more progress on this emulator!

Long live the Dreamcast!

It's a great emu, and although this version has some substantial speed improvements, I actually don't like it very much because the display is now hi-res, stretched and filtered. I just can't stand the way the Neo games look when displayed like that.

why, what does it look like?

(I haven't tried it yet)

just was reading through the thread at DCEmu -- aparently filtering will be optional in a future release

It doesn't look bad; you probably wouldn't notice it if you're not used to playing the games in their native resolution. But basically it looks blurrier, and the scanlines are smaller... similar to the Xbox release of Metal Slug 3, or Street Fighter 3:TS on the DC with the default display mode (btw, you can switch that game to true low-res). Hopefully there will be an option in the future to not stretch the display at all.

I can't seem to find any good explainations of what NeoCD/SDL actually is on that website.

Is it a NeoGeo emulator that runs on the PC, is it a Dreamcast emulator that runs on the pC, or is it a NeoGeo emulator that runs on the Dreamcast?

JMT.

Originally posted by it290@Jun 15, 2004 @ 12:18 AM

It doesn't look bad; you probably wouldn't notice it if you're not used to playing the games in their native resolution. But basically it looks blurrier, and the scanlines are smaller... similar to the Xbox release of Metal Slug 3, or Street Fighter 3:TS on the DC with the default display mode (btw, you can switch that game to true low-res). Hopefully there will be an option in the future to not stretch the display at all.

Filtering will be optional. The stretching won't be an issue once that is option-only. The only other choice (when relying on KOS) is to run at a resolution slightly higher than a real NGCD, which isn't a good solution. It leaves black borders on all sides. If you stretch it while running at that res, you end up with serious ugliness because the resolution you are stretching TO is only slightly higher. But if you run at a high res and then stretch the low res image, it looks pretty normal actually - with the filters off. Quzar is supposed to be working on a menu in the future with filtering and other options.

I will say that the speed is awesome considering he removed the frameskip code. Soon they'll have to consider how they are going to throttle the speed.

Yes, I know the DC can't exactly replicate the Neo's 304x224 resolution (or whatever it is; it's some weird number like that), but I would still prefer a low res display with no stretching whatsoever. The borders would be quite unsubstantial anyway. Even with filtering off, the games just don't look as good in hi res. You can certainly see the difference in the perceived size of the scanlines, the sharpness/clarity, and of course the interlaced flicker. I don't mind it so much on NES games or the like, but on something with a lot of detail it's really noticeable.

I know it quite off topic, but could anyone tell me what different Emu's of different systems are there for Dreamcast? I'm kinda cuirious about that, I wasn't following the developement of those emus for quite a while now...

thx

Well, there are quite a few. The good ones, IMHO, are the NES, SMS, and GB/GBC color emulators, along with this emu. There is also the illegal Genesis emulator that works quite well, but with poor sound. The C64 emulator is also pretty good. I haven't tried the IIe one yet or any of the other classic computer emus, so I can't comment on those. DreamSNES, the SNES emulator, runs pretty decent but is pretty much dead in the water. Someone else is working on an emu called Super Famicast that shows some promise, however.

What I'd really like to see is a PCE CD emu; hopefully someone will code one at some point.

yeah that would be cool/

there is also a GBA one in development that is working decent (for smaller roms) considering it was considered impossible for the longest time.

I've tried NESTERDC, it's great :D but I can not get the Lightgun support from the Version 7.1pb to run... actually I'm not sury where to put the files from the NESTERDC 7.1pb.zip (LightGun.elf, nester.elf, NesterDC.bin)

can someone help me with that? sry for offtopic stuff, but I've already searched the forum on this matter but found nothing...

Hmm, I haven't used it in a while, but IIRC you have to define your controller type as lightgun when you start the emulator.

Originally posted by it290@Jun 15, 2004 @ 04:13 PM

The good ones, IMHO, are the NES, SMS, and GB/GBC color emulators, along with this emu. There is also the illegal Genesis emulator that works quite well, but with poor sound.

So, then the NES, SMS, GB, and NeoGeoCD emulators are legal?

JMT.

It's illegal because Sega made the emu themselves for the Smash Pack.

Emulation itself isn't illegal, its the use of Sega's code for that particular emulator that's illegal.

Their are other genny emus in the works that are perfectly legal

Originally posted by Jedi Master Thrash@Jun 16, 2004 @ 12:37 AM

So, then the NES, SMS, GB, and NeoGeoCD emulators are legal?

JMT.

Yes. Pirating games is not, but that's an entirely different issue. Most companies don't even care with regards to old systems like that.

Originally posted by it290@Jun 16, 2004 @ 04:10 PM

Unless you're talking about Nintendo and their 'emulation is evil' stance, heh.

Which is why I said most. Nintendo would just murder you in your sleep, that's all.

Back