Outrun 2 on PS2 ONLY

here's a quote from www.phuck-ign.com

"Today, reports are coming in that Sony have grabbed the exclusive rights to Sega's upcoming arcade racer - Outrun 2. PSW (PlayStation World) is reporting that the Xbox has been overlooked (even though the arcade ver runs off the Xbox based Chihiro hardware); and will instead hit the PlayStation 2 in early 2004. Although there has been no official word from Sega...this will come as a blow to Microsoft and it's attempt to gain ground in the Japanese market.

Oh, and just incase you didnt know...the original Outrun will also be appearing on the PlayStation 2...via the Sega Ages range."

They provide a link to a scan of the article here

ouch -- what an insult to MS

"This game was designed to originally run on your hardware, but your system's games don't sell well enough so we won't produce it for your system after all. You suck."

Hey, I understand everbody's disappointment in this. I want the best possible version of Outrun 2 as well. Yet, we still have some Xbox exclusive games from Sega. Also, we have to remember, Sega has to make the sound business decisions to keep them out the red and staying in the black. Just my thoughts.

Remember that Sega first said Outrun 2 wouldn't be converted to consoles at all? A PS2 version certainly makes the most financial sense and has been rumoured for a while now.

Looking at the magazine the scan is from I don't think this news is very reliable. Although it would make sense to release only on PS2 as I cant see Xbox sales being too high. A GC version might do alright though.

lol, I was wondering if I was the only won who found that even remotely funny.lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

it's actually not a bad gaming news site, they have a lot of news that other places wouldn't cover, plus they usually have higher quality pictures and videos of new games like FFXII.

Well, that would suck if we got a less-than-arcade perfect conversion and had to wait years for a perfect conversion. Hmm.... didn't Yu Suzuki say at one point that he disliked working on PS2? I guess that's not the most important thing though.

They should release a PC version, after all, back in the day, Outrun was on pretty much every console and computer imaginable.

Couldn't we please wait at least until a console version is officially announced before we start ragging on it?

First of all I can't necessarily believe this yet, as their is no official word coming from SEGA yet. But if this is true this is how I will feel about it...

Well I can understand wanting to bring Outrun 2 to the PS2, but not bringing it to the X-box also has to be one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. Why would you not release a game that can be ported over and ready to print in about 3weeks and with a very, very, very low development costs... Right now I'm horribly disappointed with SEGA and all their empty promises... like going multi-platform with their games. Yes, I know Sonic Heroes and the ESPN are multi-platform, but where the hell is multi-platform release of Virtua Fighter, and all of their other big franchises that we were promised???

SEGA may be out of the red, but they sure as hell aren't winning me over.

It's not only developing that costs money (and Sega would still have to add at least some degree of Live-support, meaning another round of testing etc.), there's also stuff like marketing etc.

As for platforms, when Sega dropped the Dreamcast each studio were given free choice of which platform(s) to develop for. I don't remember them ever claiming the actual games would be multiplatform. Concentrating on fewer platforms lets the studios develop their technology and push the hardware instead of doing least common denominator-style hardware-neutral games, something they have spoken out against in the past.

Couldn't we please wait at least until a console version is officially announced before we start ragging on it?

Hey, don't get me wrong, I've been looking forward to Outrun 2 for a loong time, I just don't want to have to buy a PS2 to play it- not to mention the fact that when you have a name that means as much as 'Outrun' does, it doesn't really make sense to only release the game on one console. I agree with the least-common-denominator thing, but in this case the PS2 is it, especially when the arcade game was developed for a completely different platform.

I've got to say I'll be quite disappointed if this news is true, I've been looking forward to playing outrun 2 on Live for quite some time. Plus the fact it would look the sweetest on Xbox, so degrading it to ps2 - especially when it's being developed on Xbox based hardware- is stupid. I also thought Yu stated that he preffered ps2 the least, making this decision make even less sense. While releasing it on ps2 would obviously make Sega more money, dropping the Xbox altogether doesn't make much sense in this case.

---Ammut

Hmmm.. so adding the X-box logo to an ad in a magazine, or the line, "also available on X-box" to a commercial is going to bump the marketing costs to astronomical proportions?? I get your point on the Live support, but on the same not the testing would not be huge burden to SEGA's bottom line.

I can understand wanting to push the hardware, and perfect port of Outrun 2 for PS2 is certainly pushing it, but if you already have a X-box compatible version completed why not release that also? It only makes sense.

And I'm not saying that SEGA should rule out console exclusives, but the big guns of the SEGA arsenal deserved to be played by all, no matter what system you own(not everyone has the cash to buy all 3).

Originally posted by Mr. Moustache@Nov 24, 2003 @ 05:08 AM

And I'm not saying that SEGA should rule out console exclusives, but the big guns of the SEGA arsenal deserved to be played by all, no matter what system you own(not everyone has the cash to buy all 3).

Agreed. I like online games as much as the next Live! user, but if its a port of Outrun 2, who gives a damn? I'd take a straight port without any live, or maybe content downloads at most. Especially with the other option being NO Xbox release, and an inferior (though still probably very good) port for PS2. They should release it on both, it'd get them more money on PS2, but it would be cake to get it running on Xbox. I hope Sony has paid them well for such exclusivity. Bah, their plan for being multi-platform has indeed (with a few exceptions) gone bye-bye.

Back