Project L Unmasked

BlueCrabs Project L has been unmasked revealing a Sega Saturn emulator!

The first shot out there is of the BIOS which can be found at his website here

Bluecrab said this about the project:

Originally posted by BlueCrab@Friday, June 18, 2004 at 1:35 PM EDT

Well, I finally got Project L to do something, and as promised, there will be a screenshot (keep reading). However, much has changed since project L's inception, the biggest of which being that this is a port now.

I'm just curious, why do people start new emulators when there are already a few well underway? Why don't they contribute to those?

I could be wrong, but from what it says on the website this emulator is running on the Dreamcast.

Cool to see someone might be attempting to accomplish such a task!

I'm just curious, why do people start new emulators when there are already a few well underway? Why don't they contribute to those?

If you're talking about Project L, it's not a new emulator, but a port of Yabause.

If you're talking about Yabause, it's hard to contribute to the development of a program when studying and modifying it requires a disassembler and a hex editor.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Jun 18, 2004 @ 06:20 PM

If you're talking about Yabause, it's hard to contribute to the development of a program when studying and modifying it requires a disassembler and a hex editor.

Why?

Something looks strange about this screenshot.

Attachments

• 2004_06_06_21_50.png
    2004_06_06_21_50.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 2004_06_06_21_50.png
    2004_06_06_21_50.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 2004_06_06_21_50.png
    2004_06_06_21_50.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 124
What, like it's pasted on? Sort of looks strange.

There's about 500 Saturn emulators and they all do relatively little in terms of emulating the saturn. Except for Satourne, which had a lot of promise, but the author seems to be on a hiatus at the moment.

In fact there's some difference between yabause and others saturn emulators :

- it is open source, you can view, modify, distribute source as you wish (that's what BlueCrab did by porting it to the Dreamcast).So you don't need a hex editor to modify yabause, but only the source, a text editor and a compiler.

- it is portable, it's main target is Linux, but it also run on Windows, on OS X and now on Dreamcast.

For more info go to the yabause web page : http://yabause.sf.net

Originally posted by Resident_Lurker@Jun 19, 2004 @ 01:27 AM

What, like it's pasted on? Sort of looks strange.

No, I was comparing it to this screenshot from Project L.

Attachments

• 2004_06_18_Project_L.png
    2004_06_18_Project_L.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 115
    2004_06_18_Project_L.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 116
    2004_06_18_Project_L.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 114
That yellow ball ain't the cursor. The cursor is a semi-transparent rectangle (that doesn't seem to be emulated properly). The ball simply displays the active language.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Jun 19, 2004 @ 01:03 PM

Racket asked why someone would start a new emulator, and I was giving that as a good reason to start Yabause.

Ah. Your meaning was not immediately obvious, because I thought he WAS referring to Project L. But then again, I read his comments over at DCE first, so I didn't realize that when he posted here (earlier) that he thought it was another emu for PC.

Update:

BlueCrab has released the source and binaries of his port of the Sega Saturn Emulator, Yabause, to the Dreamcast. BlueCrab has said Project L shall be know now as Yabause-DC. To talk about Yabause-DC, go here.

http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic...er=asc&start=20

Screen shots I've taken from my actual TV running BlueCrabs emu are on there. I've spoken to him and he doesn't know why he can get to the language selection and I can't. Maybe due to different bios revisions? For those uninformed, for those who create emus for the dc such as this that don't have digital cameras or anything useful, implant code and pull vram data, which tends to look a bit fake.

Originally posted by APE992@Jun 19, 2004 @ 11:53 PM

For those uninformed, for those who create emus for the dc such as this that don't have digital cameras or anything useful, implant code and pull vram data, which tends to look a bit fake.

Exactly, APE. Thanks for sticking up for me until I got here. And for those non-believers, why not just try it out. All you have to lose is a CD-R.

Taken from the topic over at http://www.assemblergames.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=990

Quoted from antime post

-----------

I heard the author of emulator will have some problems getting this emulator work because of the way the saturn and dreamcast work. One uses big indian the other little indian format.

The Saturn is big-endian and the Dreamcast little-endian.

Overview =

-----------

Little-endian and big-endian refers to the order values are stored in memory (the names come from Gulliver's Travels.

Consider the following sequence of bytes in memory:

0x11 0x22 0x33 0x44

When interpreted as a single 32-bit number a big-endian machine will see the number 0x11223344 (ie. the most significant byte is stored first in memory) while a little-endian machine will see the number 0x44332211 (ie. least significant byte stored first). Since the same mapping is done on both code and data there is simply no way to run native Saturn binaries on the Dreamcast even though the processor would otherwise allow it.

Back