PS2 Overtaking Dreamcast as "King of Fighters"

man this is bullshit.:rant Sega needs to pick up their loses and make a new system and get back in on the game already. They should keep picking up money and tabs for their rights and games from other platforms like ps2/gc/xbox/etc and move on to overtake with a new system. :smash :smash :smash

Wow, the KOF packs look awesome. So does the LB 1+2 pack. A 3d Metal Slug, although it could be interesting, just doesn't seem right IMHO. What they need to do is redraw all the sprites in hi res and do a game that way, but we all know that'll never happen.

Also, maybe I'm not following the links correctly, but it looks like Maximum Impact 2 and the 3d Slug game have merely been announced. Although the article seems to imply that they'd be for PS2 (especially MI2), and they likely will be eventually, it seems obvious that they will be released on the Atomiswave first and then be ported to home consoles later.

I don't know about you guys, but I really really don't want new games that I might actually want to buy to be released on the PoS2.

1. I'm happy only having to pay an average of 5$ per game for my higher-quality retro systems. I don't want to have to start chucking out/wasting 30-50$ per game.

2. I don't want to give any of my hard earned money to the evil corporation that singlehandedly killed both Sega and 2D gaming. It's bad enough my wife buys the DDR games for it.

3. I'd feel much better chucking out the money for a Neo-Geo and play it the way it was meant to be (like watching the original original versions of Star Wars). It's an easier choice of which system to get the game for when it's only available on one system. But how do you decide when it's available on multiple systems?

My friend was just telling me about how great this "gradius IV" is that was just released for PoS2. It's a new-school style 2D shooter. I purposfully don't keep up with new console games so pardon my ignorance. Man, it's already starting.

:blink:

JMT.

Take a look at games now... "Def Jam Vendetta" WTF? is that crap... All these rap games and shit. "Battle with your fav DEF JAM ARTIST!!?! OMFG #l33t

argh... where are you 16 bit?

Originally posted by racketboy@Sep 24, 2004 @ 03:05 PM

As a follow-up to my My previous commentary, it's been announced that SNK is going to release a TON of it's older 2D goodies on the PS2 along with some new stuff.

Read it and weep

You're assuming DC was ever the "King of Fighters". It saw a lot of good fighters, but think about it. Although technically if you include emulators, the DC was and still is the king. :p

Originally posted by it290@Sep 24, 2004 @ 11:09 AM

Also, maybe I'm not following the links correctly, but it looks like Maximum Impact 2 and the 3d Slug game have merely been announced. Although the article seems to imply that they'd be for PS2 (especially MI2), and they likely will be eventually, it seems obvious that they will be released on the Atomiswave first and then be ported to home consoles later.

I wouldn't bet on it, to be honest. KOF:MI went straight to PS2 and SNK doesn't seem to have any plans to port it to Atomisware.

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of Xbox ports of the KOF 3-in-1 packs (and Garou, Last Blade, etc.). The Sponge article never says that they are PS2-exclusive. Only that they've been announced for the PS2. Additionally, SNK has announced that all future console games (after Re-bout) will have online capabilities, which makes the Xbox a good candidate.

So far, the PS2 and Xbox are evenly matched in terms of their SNK port count. The PS2 has Metal Slug 3, Metal Slug 4/5, KOF 2000/2001, and KOF 2002/2003, and Samurai Shodown 5 Bundle. The Xbox has Metal Slug 3, Metal Slug 4/5, KOF 2002/2003, Samurai Shodown 5 Bundle and SvC: Chaos.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Uh..

Well...

Crap...

I'll just get KoF 95 - 97 for Saturn, and 98 - 2002 for DC. That was my original plan anyway.

But what about 2003 and later? :ph34r:

Also, I saw a rumor somewhere than said Metal Slug 4 was supposed to be released on the Gamecube. Can anyone confirm that?

while the GC thing would be cool, I have not heard anything of the sort and I don't think its likely. XBox probably

Well, Metal Slug 4&5 is already announced for the Xbox. I don't see the Cube thing happening, but it would be cool (although I probably wouldn't buy it anyway - Metal Slug 4 leaves a sour taste in my mouth).

Actually, Metal Slug 4 has been announced for Japanese Gamecubes. Famitsu confirmed it.

Releasing a Metal Slug game for the Gamecube does make sense, considering how much better the GC is doing in Japan compared to the Xbox. What doesn't make much sense is the decision to release 4, as opposed to 3 or 5, both of which are considered superior by most fans.

Oh well. Time to save up some importing money, Rolf. ;)

Yeah well, I'm saving up for a more important import.

Although I will get it sometime for me beloved 'Cube.

Back