Pseudo Saturn Kai official thread

_CARTDMPDAT and _CARTDMPHDR are saves generated by "indirect dump" feature of Save Data Manager. This feature allows to export the contents of a backup memory cartridge to another cartridge on the same slot by using Saturn internal backup memory as a temporary copy area.
As a consequence, the saves that were initially in this temporary area (Saturn internal backup memory) are deleted.

Indirect dump feature was convenient when I developed it (around 2017 IIRC) but now that Satiator and Fenrir allow to write to their SD cards, the contents of backup memory cartridge can be exported to SD card without the need of this feature.
Maybe indirect dump feature should be removed (so that the problem of backup memory being cleared won't happen) but on the other hand I prefer to keep it in the case someone wants to make a backup of their old memory cartridge without having to mod their Saturn with a Fenrir or to afford a Satiator.
-> Similarly to the format of Gamer's Cartridge SD card from Pseudo Saturn Kai, I will make Save Data Manager to request a "triple confirmation" before using this indirect dump feature so that hopefully this problem should never happen again.
I understand. SDM's first choose is export / import first choose is the gamer's cart i/o the satiator SD card. But actually, that's a nomal one. It was stop try the satiator's SD card. I think add 'export to where' and 'import from where' choose will be resolve this issue. That's great.

_CARTDMPDAT and _CARTDMPHDR are saves generated by "indirect dump" feature of Save Data Manager.
Thanks for saving me from having to explain the Indirect Dump feature :)

1. when cart out: everything all OK. Both the statiator using SD card, and 2 new ones just formated. All OK.
Ok, so when a backup memory cartridge is inserted, Save Data Manager can import/export save files from/to the Satiator SD card.
Should be some stupid things happened. Especially: the saroo.
Not sure what you mean by this...

2. but when cart insert: import option still just give me a flash. Stop nothing happened.
For whatever reason, Save Data Manager isn't detecting the Satiator SD card when you have a backup memory cartridge inserted. Therefore, nothing happens when you select "Save Data Import" because it can't find the SD card from which to import save files.

Then, I tried "export save(s) from memory device(s)". it not looks like the manu like 'no cart'. It creat 2 files in my saturn ram:
As above, Save Data Manager isn't detecting the SD card and hence is falling back to indirect dump mode. I tested two official memory carts in Satiator SDM v6.545 and I'm able to transfer saves between the carts and the SD card just fine, so this is very strange...

About the MiSTer, save is 64KB. but SDM dump is 32KB. So, it doesn't work. (change *.bin to *.sav) I must export single save, and use other tools insert into the MiSTer's save.
Pseudo Saturn Kai can export internal memory into a 64KB file with dummy bytes at even-numbered addresses, but IIRC it can only do it in the full firmware (Main Menu -> Extra -> System Info & Dump -> Press Start).

@cafe-alpha : Perhaps it would be a good idea to add an ini file setting to choose between 32KB and 64KB dumps, or add an extra menu after the user selects "Export Saturn Backup RAM" ? Something like :

Select Dump Size
32 KB
64 KB

The menu approach would be beneficial for Fenrir SDM users since the ini file doesn't work there.

-> Similarly to the format of Gamer's Cartridge SD card from Pseudo Saturn Kai, I will make Save Data Manager to request a "triple confirmation" before using this indirect dump feature so that hopefully this problem should never happen again.
If possible, how about removing the indirect dump feature from Fenrir SDM and Satiator SDM? Then again, I'm not sure this would fix the underlying issue of Satiator SDM not detecting the SD card when a backup memory cartridge is inserted...

For whatever reason, Save Data Manager isn't detecting the Satiator SD card when you have a backup memory cartridge inserted. Therefore, nothing happens when you select "Save Data Import" because it can't find the SD card from which to import save files.

As above, Save Data Manager isn't detecting the SD card and hence is falling back to indirect dump mode. I tested two official memory carts in Satiator SDM v6.545 and I'm able to transfer saves between the carts and the SD card just fine, so this is very strange...
I spent some days to dig out my original cart. AND, you're right!
On that original memory cart. the SDM works very fine like I tested before in 'no cart'.
So, my failed cart is a multi cart, it can flash in the PSKAI (or AR or GS or something like those), have 1M DRAM, and 4M DRAM, and memory. Is that mean, the SDM detected that cart as a gamer's cart? Then, doesn't work like the original cart?

Last edited:
I spent some days to dig out my original cart. AND, you're right!
On that original memory cart. the SDM works very fine like I tested before in 'no cart'.
Ah, glad to hear that it's working with your official backup memory cartridge :)

So, my failed cart is a multi cart, it can flash in the PSKAI (or AR or GS or something like those), have 1M DRAM, and 4M DRAM, and memory. Is that mean, the SDM detected that cart as a gamer's cart? Then, doesn't work like the original cart?
No, it seems like Save Data Manager is falling back to indirect dump mode when the multi-cart is inserted. SDM only supports save data export from Action Replay to SD card via the "Export Save(s) from Action Replay" feature (it can't import saves from SD to Action Replay), but it should still allow you to export saves from the Saturn's internal memory via "Export Save(s) from Memory Device(s)" with the multi-cart inserted.

When you turn on the Saturn with the multi-cart inserted, does it look like this? If you could please take a picture, that would be helpful :)

ARP_202C.PNG

Ah, glad to hear that it's working with your official backup memory cartridge :)

No, it seems like Save Data Manager is falling back to indirect dump mode when the multi-cart is inserted. SDM only supports save data export from Action Replay to SD card via the "Export Save(s) from Action Replay" feature (it can't import saves from SD to Action Replay), but it should still allow you to export saves from the Saturn's internal memory via "Export Save(s) from Memory Device(s)" with the multi-cart inserted.

When you turn on the Saturn with the multi-cart inserted, does it look like this? If you could please take a picture, that would be helpful :)

View attachment 9430
My cart attached.
Already flashed PSKAI lite. Have a switch on the top, Can switch between P/4M, P/1M, P/S. P=PSKAI. S=save. It has an original SEGA memory chip in it. So, when I switch to P/S, saturn will load the PSKAI lite + original memory chip. Saturn can manage the memory very well.
But SDM don't 'think' about that. That's the point.
So, maybe add an option in SDM like 'force to satiator's SD card' will resolve the issue? (fenrir should be also met this issue? My friends don't care about the save issue, they stop test for me. We Chinese now interested in saroo cart now...)

View attachment O1CN01Yw7Bmo1juy5UzRGqH_!!2495874609.webp
QQ图片20240126123321.jpg

QQ图片20240126123334.jpg

QQ图片20240126123340.jpg

Hey guys,
Found a potential issue with the latest PS Kai release and the Satiator using an Xband Modem.

I'm having an issue where the Xband Modem is inserted, and when I select a game to play from the menu, it tries to load the game, but kicks me back to the PS Kai menu.

EDIT:
Tried a completely different system (Model 1 Grey Saturn), and it still had the same issues.

Last edited:
Already flashed PSKAI lite. Have a switch on the top, Can switch between P/4M, P/1M, P/S. P=PSKAI. S=save. It has an original SEGA memory chip in it. So, when I switch to P/S, saturn will load the PSKAI lite + original memory chip. Saturn can manage the memory very well.
But SDM don't 'think' about that. That's the point.
  1. Set the cartridge switch to P/S and ensure that the official memory manager looks like this:

memory-manager.png

2. In Satiator Menu Kai, press the B button in the games list and then select System Info. What is the status of backup cartridge memory?
    (left = not detected | right = detected)
    sys-info-2.png
    sys-info-1.png

3. Download the attached zip archive, extract it, and run it on your Saturn. What value does it show? With a backup memory cartridge inserted, it should report "01".
I'm having an issue where the Xband Modem is inserted, and when I select a game to play from the menu, it tries to load the game, but kicks me back to the PS Kai menu.
  1. If you verify that the modem is seated correctly by playing an online game, does the issue still occur after that?
  2. When you load a game in Satiator Menu Kai, what does the IP header look like?
    (left = normal for Bulk Slash | right = abnormal)

header-1.png
    header-2.png
Note for @cafe-alpha : Satiator Menu Kai works fine for one user with a NetLink modem and also works for another user with an Xband modem.

Attachments

• utility.zip
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  1. Set the cartridge switch to P/S and ensure that the official memory manager looks like this:

2. In Satiator Menu Kai, press the B button in the games list and then select System Info. What is the status of backup cartridge memory?
    (left = not detected | right = detected)
  3. Download the attached zip archive, extract it, and run it on your Saturn. What value does it show? With a backup memory cartridge inserted, it should report "01".
1. yes, I hold L to turn on the Saturn, can see the cart very well.
2. show the right=detected, 512KB, 89% free
3. yes, show 01.

2. show the right=detected, 512KB, 89% free
Okay, so now we know that Pseudo Saturn Kai can detect the backup cartridge memory. As before, set the switch to P/S and ensure that you can see "Cartridge Memory" in the official memory manager. Then, press the left shoulder button in the Satiator Menu Kai games list, select "Save Data Manager", and follow these steps:
  1. Select "Delete" in the main menu - can you switch between internal memory and cartridge memory by pressing the shoulder buttons?
    delete.gif

2. Select "Info" in the main menu - what does the screen look like?
    (left = cartridge detected | right = cartridge not detected)
    info-1.png
    info-2.png

3. Press either shoulder button in the main menu - what does the bottom of the screen look like?
    partition-1.png
    partition-2.png

4. Go back to the main menu and select "Save Data Export" - what is displayed under "Cartridge CS1 contents" ?
    cs1-1.png
    cs1-2.png

5. Select "Export Save(s) from Memory Device(s)" - which of these does it show?
    save-data-export.png
    indirect-dump.png

6. Select "Export Saturn Backup RAM" - does it export internal memory to the Satiator SD card or does it show this screen?
    write-error.png

Okay, so now we know that Pseudo Saturn Kai can detect the backup cartridge memory. As before, set the switch to P/S and ensure that you can see "Cartridge Memory" in the official memory manager. Then, press the left shoulder button in the Satiator Menu Kai games list, select "Save Data Manager", and follow these steps:
  1. Select "Delete" in the main menu - can you switch between internal memory and cartridge memory by pressing the shoulder buttons?
  2. Select "Info" in the main menu - what does the screen look like?

3. Press either shoulder button in the main menu - what does the bottom of the screen look like?

4. Go back to the main menu and select "Save Data Export" - what is displayed under "Cartridge CS1 contents" ?

5. Select "Export Save(s) from Memory Device(s)" - which of these does it show?

6. Select "Export Saturn Backup RAM" - does it export internal memory to the Satiator SD card or does it show this screen?
1. Can do.
2. LEFT. Can see both BRAM and cart.
3. LEFT.
4. LEFT.
5. RIGHT.
6. Yes, SAME THAT SCREEN!

Thanks, can you try one last thing?
  1. Transfer this file from the Pseudo Saturn Kai archive to your Satiator SD card: tools\pskai_sdm.iso
  2. Launch the utility in Satiator Menu Kai.
  3. In the Save Data Manager main menu, press the right shoulder button and select "Firmware Flasher".
  4. Scroll to the bottom and select "Erase cartridge ROM".
  5. Once the cartridge is erased, select "System Reset" to return to Satiator Menu Kai.
  6. In the games list, press the left shoulder button and select "Save Data Manager".
  7. In the Save Data Manager main menu, select "Save Data Export".
  8. Select "Export Save(s) from Memory Device(s)" - what happens now?
  9. Select "Export Saturn Backup RAM" - what happens now?
Step 4 will erase Pseudo Saturn Kai from your cartridge, but you can re-flash it by selecting "Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite v6.545" in the firmware flasher. This will not delete your save files on backup cartridge memory, but I recommend backing them up with Save Game Copier just to be safe.

EDIT - I performed the following tests :
  • Save Data Manager v6.545 + Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite v6.545 on Action Replay cartridge :
    Satiator SD card cannot be accessed so unable to transfer save files between internal memory and SD card.

• Save Data Manager v6.545 + Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite erased from Action Replay cartridge :
    Able to transfer save files between internal memory and the Satiator SD card.
@mhmetalheart : After following steps 1-4, you should now be able to transfer save files between internal/cartridge memory and the Satiator SD card. As explained in section 4b of the Satiator Menu Kai readme, this is the correct configuration for your setup.

@cafe-alpha : This is a bug as the presence of Pseudo Saturn Kai should not prevent Save Data Manager from being able to access the Satiator SD card for save data import and export.

Thanks, can you try one last thing?
  1. Transfer this file from the Pseudo Saturn Kai archive to your Satiator SD card: tools\pskai_sdm.iso
  2. Launch the utility in Satiator Menu Kai.
  3. In the Save Data Manager main menu, press the right shoulder button and select "Firmware Flasher".
  4. Scroll to the bottom and select "Erase cartridge ROM".
  5. Once the cartridge is erased, select "System Reset" to return to Satiator Menu Kai.
  6. In the games list, press the left shoulder button and select "Save Data Manager".
  7. In the Save Data Manager main menu, select "Save Data Export".
  8. Select "Export Save(s) from Memory Device(s)" - what happens now?
  9. Select "Export Saturn Backup RAM" - what happens now?
Step 4 will erase Pseudo Saturn Kai from your cartridge, but you can re-flash it by selecting "Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite v6.545" in the firmware flasher. This will not delete your save files on backup cartridge memory, but I recommend backing them up with Save Game Copier just to be safe.

EDIT - I performed the following tests :
  • Save Data Manager v6.545 + Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite v6.545 on Action Replay cartridge :
    Satiator SD card cannot be accessed so unable to transfer save files between internal memory and SD card.

• Save Data Manager v6.545 + Pseudo Saturn Kai Lite erased from Action Replay cartridge :
    Able to transfer save files between internal memory and the Satiator SD card.
@mhmetalheart : After following steps 1-4, you should now be able to transfer save files between internal/cartridge memory and the Satiator SD card. As explained in section 4b of the Satiator Menu Kai readme, this is the correct configuration for your setup.

@cafe-alpha : This is a bug as the presence of Pseudo Saturn Kai should not prevent Save Data Manager from being able to access the Satiator SD card for save data import and export.
1-7 DONE.
8. now can export to satiator SD.
9. same as above.
Plus: now import can correct read the satiator's SD.
It 100% same as the original cart now.

I will flash back the PSKAI. Waiting for updates. : -)

I should report again. I had just reflashed that cart to GS 1.96. (then, an boot issue happened) Then, when I get into the SDM again. I found the cart save memory RAM could be READ! Can export both BRAM and CART RAM! Without any ISSUE! Worked fine.

But there's another strange issue: if I flash the GameShark or PAR in (or AR or ARP except the pskai lite). When I press C button, choose back to multiplayer. The satiator will stuck and won't jump into the PSKAI directly. If press A button, will told me no disc.
I need press the reset button, start GS again, press A button (no cheat start game). Then, I can start the PSKAI. Or C button back to multiplayer again, I can see a 'game' loaded, then, select the top left button (the game start button), start the PSKAI autoboot.

So, is that mean: that boot issue make the SDM worked because of now it think I'm started a disc, but not satiator directly? Because of the PSKAI lite can directly start the PSKAI autoboot. So, make the SDM stuck?

Last edited:
Hi. A potential bug, if anyone can reproduce it.

- Kai v6.541, downloaded from ppcenter website.
- fenrir 21 pin, FW 1.5.5 (as reported in kai menu)

1. I created a directory named "04_Homebrew" in the SD root.
2. I kept the directory EMPTY.
2. After booting, I try to enter the empty directory, then PSKai crashes (background star animation freezes, console not responding to pad inputs)

Last edited:
Hi. A potential bug, if anyone can reproduce it.

- Kai v6.541, downloaded from ppcenter website.
- fenrir 21 pin, FW 1.5.5 (as reported in kai menu)

1. I created a directory named "04_Homebrew" in the SD root.
2. I kept the directory EMPTY.
2. After booting, I try to enter the empty directory, then PSKai crashes (background star animation freezes, console not responding to pad inputs)
Last time I checked the official loader does this too, so this seems to be a bug in the firmware itself.

Last time I checked the official loader does this too, so this seems to be a bug in the firmware itself.
If I enter the official ffenrir firmware from the PSKai menu, the behaviour that I observe is the following:
- I put the cursor on the empty directory, then push button A.
- Nothing happens, but no crash.
- I can continue to navigate in/out other directories, I just cannot enter the empty one, nothing happens.

So it seems the fenrir firmware handles well this situation, but PSKai crashes.

@benclaff : Years ago, I found that selecting an empty folder in the official loader in Fenrir firmware 2021/07/02 causes it to load itself again in a glitched state. In this old video, the glitches occur when pressing the d-pad:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo8s6px8hcq938o/official-fenrir-loader-empty-folder-glitch.mp4?dl=1

Now that this bug is finally fixed in the latest official loader, that's a good reason to also fix Fenrir Loader Kai so thanks for reporting and reminding us about this :)

@cafe-alpha : In the latest official loader, the cursor goes back to the top of the list when selecting an empty folder or a folder not containing a valid disc image (e.g. a text file). If possible, it would be better to keep the current cursor position when performing these actions in Fenrir Loader Kai.

Hello, (I hope this is the good place to post this.)
I have a question about Pseudo Saturn Kai.
I have one and used it for playing official games from different regions so far.

But I recently bought a repro for an english translated game (Dragon Force 2) and for some reason it doesn't work. As far as I know Pseudo Saturn Kai allows to read CD-R, right?

I read online that it could be my lens but it seems to work quite well with any other official CDs.
If I close the lid from the begining and start the console the CD-R won't even spin. But if I close the lid once Pseudo Saturn Kai menu is on screen then the CD spins but it doesn't launch the game either. Either way the console gets stuck at the "cd read sector" line.

My Saturn is a model 1 US.
I attached a file of the message I have on screen.
Does anybody has an idea?

Attachments

• 428833766_725156346421809_3549181528787352287_n.jpg
    428833766_725156346421809_3549181528787352287_n.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back