San Francisco Rush freezes up

I bought San Francisco Rush at a gamestop a month ago. Never got around to trying it out until yesterday. And lo and behold it doesn't work...

It gets through the two initial logo screens, but when it gets to the screen that just says "press start" at the bottom, after about 5 seconds it just freezes. If you do press start, it just freezes immediately when you press it. Additionally, if there is no memory unit present in the controller, the game freezes at the start of the first logo screen.

Anyone ever encounter this before? The CD itself has minimal wear, and there are no obviously serious scratches, just regular light scratches that every CD has. So I was considering that it might be a problem with either my Dreamcast unit or memory unit. But all the other games I have (which is granted not very many) don't have any troubles.

The manual says that compatibility is not guaranteed with 3rd party controllers (which seems dumb, don't they all follow the same interface?), but for the record the behavoir is the same with both the official sega controller and a 3rd party controller.

I thought that the Dreamcast was supposed to play backups? So I figured it it was a problem with a scratch on the CD, my CD-RW probably has better optics and error correction, so I made a copy of it, and it reported no problems. However, the Dreamcast just makes noises like it has an upset stomach while trying to read the disk, and is never able to play it. Why is that? Is it just because it's low-quality media?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Good call racket :)

Could be your DC, mine doesn't like seaman for sum reason. Try it on Another DC. if it does the same thing, well then yer copy is done for. Maybe heat damage or sumthin?

If you wanna play imports and uh...you know, you needa boot disc. I use utopia boot disc.

and no backup talk....they dislike that VERY much.

Hmm....do you have a Euro/pal or jap/ntsc dreamcast ? If yes, there is a small problem with this game.....I can't give much details without talking of "backup" stuff, but you can just search the net for info :)

As Racketboy pointed out, dc backup talk is not allowed here. One other thing you should know is that dreamcast can not read rewritable cds, at least without some modification to the laser. I find it impressive when you say you just "made a copy" of the game, since I believe it requires quite a bit of know how and a bunch of tools to go from GD to cd.... :huh

But, as already mentioned, DC backup talk = no good here. If the original doesn't work in another DC as Pearl Jammzz suggested to try, take it back for a refund.

On a sidenote, I found SF Rush 2049 to be a great dreamcast game :)

---Ammut

ya, it's the best in the arcades though...I liek how the steering wheels jerks AND the shifter is actually where a shifter should be. Now all they need is a clutch.

Woah. Sorry guys I guess. I thought since I was just trying to get past possible scratch-issues on my original disk that making a ::shhh:: b.u. ::shhh:: was ok. Guess I was wrong. Sounds like I didn't do it right anyway.

For the record I've never put anything but originals into any of my consoles. And for all the talk that goes on on this board about emulation, modding, and reprogrammable cartridges, I wouldn't have thought that a legitemate, legal use of a ::shhh:: b.u. ::shhh:: would be so taboo.

Anyway, the DC is a US NTSC unit. I've got a friend at work with a dreamcast, I'll see if he can play it.

Since I bought it over a month ago, I was afraid gamestop would no longer take it back (they only give like 7 days or something, plus after reading that article about EBGames... ::shivers::). So I thought I'd try you guys first. If nothing helps, I'll see what kind of guilt trip I can pull on the local gamestop clerk. I also have a Genesis Grindstormer cart I bought at gamestop last summer, and I found out it didn't work too late as well. But luckilly I only paid 1.99 for that. But I'll probably never find one that cheap again.

I wouldn't worry too much about talking about your back up.

Because you have a faulty original I'm not worried. :)

Truth hurts huh?

I get enough forum rule nit-picking from the general population, let alone getting it from a moderator.

And no, a smilie doesn't make it better.

So to follow up, I took it back to Gamestop, even though it was nearly 2 months since I bought it, well past their 7-day returns.

Suprisingly, they gave me store credit for it. So that was good.

Of course about about 5 seconds after I started talking to the guy behind the counter, the gamestop phone rang, and he answers, and it was a personal call. But instead of saying "I'm busy with a customer, I'll call you back", he goes on to talk on the phone for about 5 minutes, while I'm standing there right in front of him waiting. Talking about what they're going to watch tonight and who's coming for dinner and whatever. If I wasn't about to get my 10$ back I've have acted more impatient.

They had a Berserk Dreamcast game there. It looked sweet on the box. If you remember for the post a picture of yourself thread, I dressed as Gatts with a homemade 7-foot sword for halloween. But as usual I never buy anything when I first see it; I always go home and research it first. Nearly all the reviews seemed to be negative. Awful camera angles (which I personally think plague all 3rd person games, which is why I hate and never play any modern games), and that even though you're blessed with the enormous dragonslayer sword, they say that most of the game puts you in narrow hallways where it's useless, and your other weapons suck. Anyone played it and have an opinion?

Even though Sword of the Berserk is basically a hack n' slash game I personally LOVE it!! The graphics are great and the story is good. It's true that the sword is big for some of the levels that are a little cramped but that is what the throwing stars are for. If you can get it cheap enough I recommend it. :D

Back