saturn switchless import mod

Sega Saturn Switchless Import Mod

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding this mod, mainly how the switch is done. I know the 'select' line must be changed from high to low or vice versa, but how is this done? Is there a point on the reset switch that changes from low to high after the Saturn is reset?

Also, cant this mod only switch between two regions? as there are only two outputs?

Any help would be really appreciated :)

See what happens is this.

When you push the button to open the CD tray or Reset button during the press a connection is completed allowing 5v through.

The ground and 5v is connected to the chip, and when the circuit is completed 5v is sent to the select pin. When this occurs the chips logic swaps the output of the xY (where x is a numeral) between either inputs of xA and xB. Basically meaning that every time you hit the reset button it changes JP6/7 between ground and 5v. (witch is why there are the wires on the chip, sending ground and 5v to all the xA's and xB's needed).

That design their does only do 2 regions... but if you give me a little time as there is 4 channels to work with I could probably create you a design that allows 3 regions... but maybe not. It depends. I have to look more into it. (I'm a little busy right now so give me a few hours.)

[EDIT] like 3 hours later-----> Umm yeah, I'm really busy.

[EDIT] like 3 hours later-----> Umm yeah, I'm really busy.

lol.

So, does the a change in the select line from ground to +5v then back to ground (because you let go of the reset button) tell the IC to from now on take input from xB instead of xA?

I was planning on using a PIC to be able to have three regions, but i cant figure out a nice way to tell it to switch. The only one I can think of is it timing the press of the reset button, but thats messy :p Also, a 16F84 is like £5 whereas this IC is only 50p.

don't know for 100%, but I believe the reset button holds a constant 5v charge or not. When 5v is sent to the IC it switches xA to xB... since i first posted I've been working all day so I haven't had the time to pull out my Saturn and test it with my multi-meter.

I'll take the time to make it 3 regions when I have the time. But I need sleep now... (I hate graveyard shift sometimes)

If you could figure it out by only using those ICs then that would be really useful and save me a few quid :D

I'm gonna start writing some code for a PIC and possibly use both the open switch and reset switch to let it decide between the 3 regions.

Well I know a guaranteed way it would work with two of those ICs and I don't have to test anything to know that it works.

The thing is I believe I could wire something together to make it work with just one IC, or get the 50/60 using 2 ICs... probably 3 ICs to get 50/60; or a different model one. I just need to test the inside of the saturn to see how the buttons react and plan a more economic switch.

anyways, this should work though using 2 ICs:

Wire the first IC like gamesx.com says to and connect it to the reset button.

Then wire another IC like this hooking the labeled pin to JP12/13 like you did the others. Then connect it to the CD tray open switch to 'select'. (pins located on underside of the saturn in back where that plastic doohicky open switch is... you should know, your rather educated)

thingy.jpg

Now for modes what you will do depending on what it boots into when you turn it on and dont hit anything.

If it first boots as US (I believe it is this one)

Jap - reset

Euro - CD cover button

If it boots Jap without hitting anything then.

US - Reset

Euro - CD cover button AND reset

Originally posted by lordofduct@Thu, 2005-12-29 @ 07:07 AM

Well I know a guaranteed way it would work with two of those ICs and I don't have to test anything to know that it works.

The thing is I believe I could wire something together to make it work with just one IC, or get the 50/60 using 2 ICs... probably 3 ICs to get 50/60; or a different model one. I just need to test the inside of the saturn to see how the buttons react and plan a more economic switch.

anyways, this should work though using 2 ICs:

Wire the first IC like gamesx.com says to and connect it to the reset button.

Then wire another IC like this hooking the labeled pin to JP12/13 like you did the others. Then connect it to the CD tray open switch to 'select'. (pins located on underside of the saturn in back where that plastic doohicky open switch is... you should know, your rather educated)

thingy.jpg

Now for modes what you will do depending on what it boots into when you turn it on and dont hit anything.

If it first boots as US (I believe it is this one)

Jap - reset

Euro - CD cover button

If it boots Jap without hitting anything then.

US - Reset

Euro - CD cover button AND reset

[post=142982]Quoted post[/post]​

You only need 1 IC. I created the 3 region switchless circuit based off that info back in 2003 or so. In fact, i modded someone's system here with the prototype of the Switchless 3.

here is the post for the sale of the system. I forgot that i added Blue LEDs to it as well:

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/index.php?showtopic=15749&st=15

Back