Sega Channel

If we were to et sega channel running again wouldn't everyone with it need a cable modem going directly to the net from the sega channel other than one large sega server? that couldn't be done could it? New sega channel hardware (the physical channel box) would be needed in order to go through a pc modem since cable connections for the internet wasn't around then.

what if you connected the sega device directly to your PC modem via a fax/scanner adapter and ran a terminal emulator from there. Assuming the sega channel ran like a BBS it would be possible to get the two talking. Once that boundry has been crossed, then worry about how to get that information to be shared down the internet

Youd have to emulate the protocols sega box uses. Then setup a terminal that it needs THEN have it all redirect to a host other then what it was designed for.

you know what i had the sega channel and i don't think it's really worth all that effort to put a network together again for it. I mean if people want to play the games so badly they'll just download the roms.

Yes, but the chances are they did not bother to develop new protocols as readily available ones were already in place. Simple economics. Just need to find out which ones they used. I'll go send some more annoying email to sega europe :)

Look for developers is the FUN of making the stuff....I personally would LOVE to see Sega Xband emulated and made for netplay! I loved the interface etc! The email as well!

Quote: from Gallstaff on 9:27 pm on Mar. 27, 2002

If we were to et sega channel running again wouldn't everyone with it need a cable modem going directly to the net from the sega channel other than one large sega server? that couldn't be done could it? New sega channel hardware (the physical channel box) would be needed in order to go through a pc modem since cable connections for the internet wasn't around then.

actually, cable modems were around then, and sega channel used one. the tingy that went into the system had a cable hook up on the back and that connected to the wall. that's how was able to not take years to dl the demos. so all we'd have to do is find where it actually connected and set up something with that same address. im sure sega would give or sell everything for it since they dont even use it anymore.

ah, but that was not a cable modem. What it did was actually run off a cable air wave. I mean... i supose you could call it a crude cable modem of sorts.

Back