Shenmue Commercials

Trust me dude, keep playing it and you wont be dissapointed. Some of the battles and action scenes later on in the game are completely insane.

speaking of shenmue, i figure some of you would get a kick out of this guy pretending to be ryo and going to a few places looking for information.

http://www.mega64.com/

It's not really that funny, but the part with the hotdog stand made me laugh pretty good.

Sweet, dling the video right now. They had an ad for the Aquabats on that page.. that used to be one of the most popular local bands here.

EDIT: Oh man, that was freaking hilarious.

Originally posted by Nadius@Dec 9, 2003 @ 07:49 PM

speaking of shenmue, i figure some of you would get a kick out of this guy pretending to be ryo and going to a few places looking for information.

http://www.mega64.com/

It's not really that funny, but the part with the hotdog stand made me laugh pretty good.

hehe -- I got a good chuckle out of it.

he did a good job keeping a straight face :)

SHenmue was HORRIBLE!

I put it in and ten minutes later they had me moving boxes around the stock yard for pennies!

I was doing that for like an hour!

I already have a job! This sucks. Then I finally had enough and started gambling. Now I have a gambling habit. I lost all of my money. Game over.

Is there a suicide option in the game?

Originally posted by jeff-20@Dec 11, 2003 @ 01:09 AM

SHenmue was HORRIBLE!

I put it in and ten minutes later they had me moving boxes around the stock yard for pennies!

I was doing that for like an hour!

I already have a job! This sucks. Then I finally had enough and started gambling. Now I have a gambling habit. I lost all of my money. Game over.

Is there a suicide option in the game?

I have to agree about moving boxes in shenmue II. That was boring as hell. The job in shenmue 1 was ok, driving the forklift.

I enjoyed shenmue but i really enjoyed part 2.

you can't get mad at those who hate or love the game because thats the kind it is, either you love it or hate it, well... for the first one anyway.

I have the commercial where the guy thinks he's ryo and his girlfriend gets mad at him waking him up.

I also heard there was another funny commercial where they take a guy to a hospital because he was so obsessed that he thought he was ryo and had to go avenge his father's death. A previous friend had told me of this one, but i didn't see it, then again i only saw like 2 or 3 DC commercials :(

Yeah, well, y'know, you don't HAVE to work in Shenmue II, unlike the first one. There are other ways to make money. But gambling isn't the best way unless you're willing to reset a lot.

Yeah, Shenmue had it's boring parts, but I liked it.

I still haven't played #2, mainly because I can't catch the Euro DC version, and I don't own an Xbox.

That video was very funny. :lol:

Shenmue II was better than the first by far. But they were definately entertaining games. It wasn't just running into rooms and killing people. It had some interesting elements to it. Sure, things like moving crates were boring. But almost every game I play has its weak points. It's not everyone's cup-of-tea, but at the same time it's not the horrible waste some of you make it out to be. Different people look for different things. It isn't the best game on the planet, but it's far from the worst. I enjoyed it and hope they make a third installment so I can continue the story. I'm sure they'll take people's suggestions into consideration.

But if you think about it, aren't the Japanese people the ones who have bus driving simulations in their arcades? And wasn't there some rumor about Yu wanting to create a wine tasting simulator?

The shenmue games are both great, i unfortunately dont have shenmue 2 in english for the dc. I do have shen 2 on the box but you cant transfer saves from shemue 1 to it.

To enjoy these games you must have patience and an attention span that lasts more then a minute.

Shuenmue is such a very, very different kind of game.

Normally, when a video game has a really good story, you think "Wow, this could be a movie!" or something similar. Or maybe that's just me. I don't know. But Shenmue is an experience that transcends any kind of medium out there. Although the obvious reason for this is that any movie or book made about Shenmue would be rather dull, or simply ridiculous (ex: the above video). It's very easy to make fun of the game for this reason.

However, the second reason why these mediums would be ineffectual at recreating the Shenmue experiance is that there is simply too much detail in Ryo's world. Calling the game immersive would be an understatement. The freedom you have is unprecedented.

Depending on your own taste in human beings, and the way you seperate likeable people from annoying people, different characters will appeal to you. While some characters are necessary to interact with in order to move the plot along, the game generally gives you a lot of freedom in who you choose to interact with.

Nozomi for example, can be ignored almost entirely, save for a few cutscenes here and there. If you find her annoying, you'll have no problem avoiding her for most of the game. I, on the other hand, made a point of calling her nearly every other day, and always saying hello when I saw her. In Shenmue II, I found myself looking at her photo at times, wishing to talk to her again.

But that's me. I get attached to digital people. For those who aren't people persons, there are loads of other distractions. The most alluring to me are the video games.

The most ironic thing about the game to me, was that my free time and any spare money I had was devoted to video games. A bizarre reflection of my real life. One of the lessons you have to learn in the game is that you can't waste your money on games, toys, and other distractions. A life lesson that I myself am reluctant to learn.

But again, you don't have to do any of this stuff. The game can be beaten in under fifteen hours if you have a guide. If you're action-oriented, read a guide and get to the fight scenes and cutscenes. But I really think you'll be missing out. Yes, some parts will be boring. That's life.

I've referred to Shenmue as an experience at least twice in this post, and I really think that's what it is. Every player will have a unique experience with this game, based on who they are. Shenmue is a game that comes close to fully realizing the potential of video games as not merely a form of entertainment, but as a story-telling medium. As Tycho from Penny Arcade once said, Shenmue embodies the term "next-generation" like none other.

As you can probably tell, I'm one of those people who like Shenmue. More accurately, I love it. To me, it's not just a "fantastic video game," but a game that exists on a higher field of existence than any other form of entertainment.

Back