Created this account to ask: are there certain settings that need to be set in the Sega Saturn Patcher for the output rom to work in Mednafen? I can run the original Japanese version just fine, but trying to run the rom with the translation patch applied makes it hang on the SEGA logo screen in the bios.
Did you turn off region free patch, as well as apply the patch to the original version of the game (not Rev A)?

Created this account to ask: are there certain settings that need to be set in the Sega Saturn Patcher for the output rom to work in Mednafen? I can run the original Japanese version just fine, but trying to run the rom with the translation patch applied makes it hang on the SEGA logo screen in the bios.
I do all my play testing in Mednafen and can confirm the patch works. Make sure you are using the v1.003 of the game (original release not Rev A) and also following patching notes
"NOTE: "+ Region Free Patch" must be UNSELECTED when patching in SSP otherwise the game will crash on boot.
NOTE2: If the game is having difficulty loading on Fenrir ODE, then try patching with "Separate Track Files(if applicable)" SELECTED in SSP."

Are any mistranslations that WD made in their localisation going to be fixed?
This patch is just the Working Designs script as is (with a small number of tweaks to make it fit). However, I have already had the script retranslated and will be releasing a relocalization patch probably a few months after this patch drops (depends on how long it takes me to insert the new script).

This patch is just the Working Designs script as is (with a small number of tweaks to make it fit). However, I have already had the script retranslated and will be releasing a relocalization patch probably a few months after this patch drops (depends on how long it takes me to insert the new script).
It's me again! I confirmed that your 0.9 patch works on the Pheobe ODE. I even ensured to patch the 1.03 version, not Rev A. No need to separate tracks in the Patcher

I do all my play testing in Mednafen and can confirm the patch works. Make sure you are using the v1.003 of the game (original release not Rev A) and also following patching notes
"NOTE: "+ Region Free Patch" must be UNSELECTED when patching in SSP otherwise the game will crash on boot.
NOTE2: If the game is having difficulty loading on Fenrir ODE, then try patching with "Separate Track Files(if applicable)" SELECTED in SSP."
I patched the game with the settings you described, and it works like a charm. Thank you for helping me, and super thank you for making this patch! Now I can play the game the way it was meant to be played and still understand what's going on.

(First time playing it, by the way! I'm liking it so far, even though i have some reservations about the whole "weapon attribute switches depending on what direction you face" mechanic.)

The only weird things I've noticed are, 1. Selling items only seems to display the "Don't Sell" option, even though i can sell them just fine, and 2. In the shop just before the shadow puppet boss in Stage 4 (I forgot his name), I found a Level 6 Grattoni at the top of the shop list, above even the life and spirit increase items. It looks extremely out of place, so i wonder if it's a glitch, but i don't know enough about the original to know if it was like this before the patch...

Awesome! Thanks for the update!
Really glad you are enjoying the game! It takes a while to get used to, but once you have it down Shyna is a killing machine haha.

The observations you reported from the shops are actually how it is supposed to be. The first observation is just some 90's gaming jankiness. The second observation is just that stage's hidden weapons. See here for all their locations: Silhouette Mirage Secrets

Make sure "Region Free Patch" is unchecked (it's around the middle of the SSP window). Also make sure "Separate Track Files (if applicable) is unchecked at the bottom of the window just to be sure (but I think that's more of a Fenrir compatibility thing than a Mednafen one).

[edit] Oh, Rasputin beat me to all of this. I didn't see it because it was on a third page :sour:

wow thanks for this translation it's great !

Is it possible to have the 3 animated sequences from the American PS1 version which have been remastered on this version translated for Saturn? This would make it the ultimate version if it is technically possible of course.

Is it possible to have the 3 animated sequences from the American PS1 version which have been remastered on this version translated for Saturn? This would make it the ultimate version if it is technically possible of course.
It was once listed under "Additional Goals", but got removed later on, so maybe it's not possible?

Hello, as I told you on the forum.
Saturn...Video: CVID 320x224 12fps [V: cinepak, rgb24, 320x224]Audio: QT PCM 22050Hz stereo 705kbps [A: pcm_s16be_planar, 22050 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 705 kb/s]
Ps1...Video: RGB24 320x224 12fps 20658kbps [V: jPSXdec AVI (rawvideo, bgr24, 320x224, 20658 kb/s)]Audio: PCM 37800Hz stereo 1209kbps [A: pcm_s16le, 37800 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 1209 kb/s]
The videos are the same. I don't think there will be any improvement. The issue is that in debug mode, no command triggers a loading screen (the RAM still has the VDP2 title screen).

Attachments

• saturn vs ps1.png
    saturn vs ps1.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 94

Some members of the Sega Saturn, Shiro! discord looked into the claims of "remastered video" in the PS1 version and found them to be unfounded, so I removed that goal.

I need to look into the issue Kitchen34 mentioned (not sure I understand what the problem is).

Last edited:
TITLE file in memory during loading

Color -256

So unfortunately, I believe that any of the previous images, the loading is always in memory at any point in the game. Except that it's desaturated of colors, which gives it the "Black" appearance.

Attachments

• loading.png
    loading.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 57
TITLE file in memory during loading

Color -256

So unfortunately, I believe that any of the previous images, the loading is always in memory at any point in the game. Except that it's desaturated of colors, which gives it the "Black" appearance.
And this only occurs following entry into the debug menu, or something specifically tied to the video sequences in the Saturn version?

And this only occurs following entry into the debug menu, or something specifically tied to the video sequences in the Saturn version?
It's at the start of a new game. On the PS1, it displays the loading screen, while on the Saturn, they desaturate the RGB to make it appear black on the previous screen, whatever it may be. I believe it's the same throughout the game. We should check other loading screens during debugging.
So if that's really the case,
It would require significant programming to make the game buffer an image, but for every loading screen. It won't be easy.

Here is the file in memory, even during the black loading screen at the beginning. (It's simply the previous title screen.)TITLE.D

But it appears black because the colors, instead of starting from 0, start from -256. Therefore, no colors are displayed.
I could be wrong, but I believe this is the technique used throughout the game.

Attachments

• silhouette.png
    silhouette.png
    151 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
It's at the start of a new game. On the PS1, it displays the loading screen, while on the Saturn, they desaturate the RGB to make it appear black on the previous screen, whatever it may be. I believe it's the same throughout the game. We should check other loading screens during debugging.
So if that's really the case,
It would require significant programming to make the game buffer an image, but for every loading screen. It won't be easy.

Here is the file in memory, even during the black loading screen at the beginning. (It's simply the previous title screen.)TITLE.D

But it appears black because the colors, instead of starting from 0, start from -256. Therefore, no colors are displayed.
I could be wrong, but I believe this is the technique used throughout the game.
Oh, okay. I really had not looked into the functioning of the loading screens yet (was essentially putting this off until after the translation insertion was complete or some more talented person volunteered to help >.<). Looks like inserting the PS1 loading screens is a very tall ask. Think it is time to remove that from the project goals. Thank you for the help!

Oh, okay. I really had not looked into the functioning of the loading screens yet (was essentially putting this off until after the translation insertion was complete or some more talented person volunteered to help >.<). Looks like inserting the PS1 loading screens is a very tall ask. Think it is time to remove that from the project goals. Thank you for the help!
We would need to decompile the game's code and replace these commands -256 with a loading from a file. Easier said than done...
There appear to be multiple revisions of this game, from what I can see. Perhaps one of these versions has a loading screen, but I doubt it... Unless an unreleased version has such a screen...
If necessary, we would need to inject new code. Let me tell you, though, I don't know how to do that... I can only point out the problems and potential solutions that I see.

We would need to decompile the game's code and replace these commands -256 with a loading from a file. Easier said than done...
There appear to be multiple revisions of this game, from what I can see. Perhaps one of these versions has a loading screen, but I doubt it... Unless an unreleased version has such a screen...
If necessary, we would need to inject new code. Let me tell you, though, I don't know how to do that... I can only point out the problems and potential solutions that I see.
There was one revision (v1.100 aka the Satakore release) following initial retail release (v1.003). Rev A also has black screens while loading. For the sake of this translation project (and the relocalization one that will follow shortly after) insertion of PS1 loading screens has been shelved.

Again, really appreciate all the help!

Small update. The game is fully translated! Just doing some QA testing with and trying to work out sprite decompression (for the continue screen) before v1.0 drop.
That's great!

Is there a possibility of adding in the English voices?
I've tried looking into the PS1 version's files, and couldn't find them, even with using Audacity to play them as RAW audio files (which worked for the BGM).

Back