So I have been away from the XBox for awhile...

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
I haven't been into my XBox for a LONG time. I am wondering if there is any new cool stuff out there for it. I am talking stuff like Dashboards, utils, etc.

It's been a solid year since I have added anything to my box, what BIOS should I use (x-ececuter 2.2 pro)?

What is the good dash to use now?

What DVD2XBox tool is the best now-a-days?

What about XBMP? That still the best to have? Anything better or just as good in a different way?

Any cool new advancements in emulation? Surreal64 was the last coo lthing I heard about. They get SCD/32X games runnin good? ANy suggestions on Emus would be great :).

Hope you guys can kinda feel me in, I went looking around and will continue to do so but all the shit I am lookin at is completely new. STuff like editing the flubber scene and using different camera angels and stuff on it. Really cool stuff, just needa learn about it now ;-).

Is the bios he's referring to based on MS code?

(I have even less idea than PJ)

He's not requesting anything other than information. And none of it refers to software piracy, other than some retro emulators. God forbid he would actually want to _run unauthorized code on a machine that he owns_ .. you're sounding like the MCP, Des.

Originally posted by mal@Apr 26, 2004 @ 05:25 AM

Is the bios he's referring to based on MS code?

Yes, the only one not based in MS code is the Cromwell BIOS, but that one does not let you play backups, XBMP, emulation, etc.

it290, MCP? What is that?

And none of it refers to software piracy, other than some retro emulators.

There is the issue that something like 95% of all the homebrew programs out there are using Microsoft library code from a leaked Xbox SDK. I don't think anyone argues that this is morally equivalent to warez, but I doubt there is any legal distinction. I was planning to help Caustik, Fabrice Martinez et. al. put together an alternative SDK (wouldn't be competetive with the XDK feature set because the acceleration hardware is all proprietary, but we could at least get basic framebuffer/audio/controller support sufficient for any classic system emulator or software-rendered game) but Real Life interfered in several major ways, plus a nice large chunk of Visual Studio-specific features ended up in the codebase, so I couldn't really build it or write compatible code. The project seems to be pretty stalled, but I haven't really checked on it in a while; there might be some quiet progress being made.

MCP? What is that?

I think it290 was referring to the Master Control Program.

END OF LINE.

Well, with the Cromwell BIOS, you can run Linux, and from that point, a great number of emulators, media players, etc... surely that's completely legal? I'm sure hardware accelleration wouldn't be implemented, but it's not really needed for that type of application (for the most part).

Well, with the Cromwell BIOS, you can run Linux, and from that point, a great number of emulators, media players, etc... surely that's completely legal? I'm sure hardware accelleration wouldn't be implemented, but it's not really needed for that type of application (for the most part).

Right, but those aren't "Xbox apps", they're Linux apps that happen to run on Xbox. With some solid configuration they could really kick ass, but I have yet to see a console-oriented Xbox Linux distro; most of them assume that you want to "use your Xbox as a PC". Now that you've got me thinking about it, I want to work on it, but that will have to wait until after I move in any case... :(

I am not asking where to get them or anything liek that. I am simply asking about them. I dont want warez or anything, just wanna know what's outthere and what stuff can do. The thing is is that I went looking at the latest xbox proggies like XBMP and stuff and instead of being one proggy for one thing, they have several programs that do the same thing.

Now one has to be better than the other correct? Such as dashboards and stuff, mine is extreme oldschool, haha. I have seen a couple of different ones and thought I would ask suggestions (cuz I know a few ppl eher have modded xbox's) on which is best, and what are the +'s and -'s of each.

To my knowledge, most of these programs use sum sort of M$ code in them, but they are still homebrew. Correct me if I am wrong on this or out of line to ask such questions. This is merely a preference question based on user opinion/fact, I do not want to know how/where to obtain them.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Dashboards: MXM, tHc Lite, Evolution X, Avalaunch, Unleash X

Tunnel Apps: Xlink, Xbconnect

Many all in one programs to copy games directly to Harddrive's.

The major change has been with Modchips. SmartXX, and Xenium are rocking things with LCD Screens, and Extremely Advanced Bios'es. No more hardware switching, it is all done software, many many features, and recover features.

Many Emulators are out, PSX, and N64 being some of the most advanced, not the best emulators ever, but they run pretty good. GBA, SNES, and many sega emulators are out and work perfectly!!

Modification wise, many people are lighting up their middle jewels on their Xbox's, as well as painting their boxes, having controller port led's, and lights underneith the xbox.

And nobody can forget the Samsung SD616F/T, which is a PC DVD-ROM drive, and is being modified to be used as an XBOX Dvd-Drive, to replace ones which are not soo good. People make alot of money on these drives, and they are hard to find unmodded.

There you are, that's all the stuff in a nutshell.

Back