So... Linux

Scared0o0Rabbit

Established Member
I'm building a computer for a family that doesn't have a lot of money. They can't afford to buy windows, and I can't afford to buy it from them. I'm cobbling the pc together from parts from a couple of my older computers. In any case, I'm thinking they might be a good candidate for linux. The problem is I'm not really familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of various distros. They would be looking at a little bit of browsing the internet (on dialup) and some office like stuff (probably with open office). So basically I'm looking for some suggestions to what distro to run, as well as suggestions on cheap printers and modems that will be compatible with linux. In addition, how hard is it going to be to keep them up to date on software updates with linux. With windows it's pretty brainless, but these people aren't really all that computer literate so the easier the better.

Since when do people actually pay for Windows? A friend of mine borrowed a Windows CD and called the number to get in registered after installing it and apparently he got an indian call centre and it was really easy to get the code. Not that I would encorage any form of piracy.

Actually I don't see any reason not to use Linux, as it's both legal and free in most cases. While they could certainly pirate windows, from the usage described I really don't see the point in doing so. The Xubuntu distribution I mentioned earlier is actually specially designed for running on low-performing hardware as well.

I second the above mentioned xubuntu.

Reasons:

1. Based on Debian

2. VERY strong (and well funded) developer support

3. Easy to find and get help from various sources

4. Easy to update

Under Ubuntu a little icon pops up letting you know there are updates to download. It's a matter of clicking on it and putting in your password, and hitting update - standard fare even in Windows world.

It's well supported and regularly updated. Even the command line stuff is pretty simple (which I rarely have to rely on these days).

Though I'm on XP at the moment (because the wireless chipset in my laptop isn't really functional under GNU/Linux) I use Ubuntu as the "daily driver" on my desktop. I wholeheartedly agree with the Xubuntu suggestion, assuming they have an actual modem, as opposed to a winmodem. If the latter is the case, try anyway. Support for winmodems is improving, but don't count on it working. Still, if it doesn't work, you're out maybe an hour, including the time spent trying to get the modom to work: Ubuntu is the fastest install I've ever seen for any OS since DOS, usually clocking in around 20 minutes and with minimal interaction.

I run two computers and a server in my house on Ubuntu. It is a GREAT operating system, very stable and I even give it to people like my sister who are tired of getting viruses and spyware from every site they go to.

I encourage using it, just make sure they aren't the ones administrating it. It takes atleast a suitable amount of knowledge to actually manage the system, adding new software will seem kind of confusing to the average newb out there.

So how do I go about finding a modem that isn't a winmodem... it's been 8+ years since I last had to purchase a modem and I don't want to end up with the wrong thing. It's been a crazy 6 months... so the computer isn't done but it's getting close. Since they're getting it for free they aren't complaining heh.

The best way is to find a specific model number that is described by the manufacturer as a "controller-based" modem. Failing that, buy an external modem with an RS-232 (not USB) connection; as far as I know, none of those are winmodems.

Back