Sonic Adventure DX - PC

Hey everyone.

Just recently, I made a huge discovery - Sonic Adventure DX came out for the PC! I had heard about the project and even downloaded the English Demo, but, due to a lack of news, I figured the project was scrapped.

However, just recently, I did a search on eBay and found out that the port was completed and released under the Activision "Budget Publishing" label. (Which sounds about right for a PC port from Sega.) Therefore, I quickly bid on one of the available auctions and am currently awaiting its arrival in the mail.

However, I have a question about the game - What additions/changes were made between the Dreamcast original and GameCube "DX" versions? (I didn't buy a Dreamcast back in the day, and I don't own a GameCube, which explains why I opted for the probably-shitty PC port.) ;)

By the way, I apologize for the question itself - I'm sure it's considered common knowledge for those that owned both systems or had access to the two available versions. Unfortunately, I went for the N64-PS2 route, which explains why I missed out on both copies. :D

EDIT: For those that are wondering, the PC version of Sonic Adventure DX retails for $19.95 USD, but you can easily find the game for $5-7 less. Here are the box scans:

sonicadvdx-f.jpg

The familiar front.

sonicadvdx-b.jpg

The generic-looking back.

I heard that it's difficult to get the game to run at a full 60 fps on a PC, regardless of system specs. So, it might look a bit prettier, but it won't be as fast.

There are loads of sega games that came out on the PC.

Sega PC Mega Pack( Crazy Taxi, Sega Bass Fishing, Sonic R, Virtua Fighter 2 and Sonic CD. Compilation titles include Sega Smash Pack (Super Shinobi, Vectorman, Altered Beast, Sonic Spinball, Columns, Outrun, Phantasy Star 2, and Golden Axe), Sega Smash Pack 2 (Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Shining Force, Vectorman 2, Super Hang On, Kid Chameleon, Comix Zone, and Flicky, and Sonic and Knuckles Collection (Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic Knuckles, and Sonic 3 Knuckles)

Sonic CD

Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Sonic Heroes

Sonic Adventure DX,

Panzer Dragon

Sega Bass Fishing

Virtua Cop

Crazy Taxi

Comix Zone

Virtua Cop 1 + 2

Virtua Fighter 1 + 2

Sega Rally

Daytona USA

Sonic R

Virtua Tennis

Afterburner

Outrun

Altered Beast

Golden Axe

Power Drift

Space Harrior

Super Hang On

Shinobi

Just to name a few, there are probably more.

Thanks for the info - Personally, I'm trying to sell some of those PC games, including Sonic CD, Sega Smash Pack, and Sonic 3D Blast, since I've been able to obtain their superior console versions. (Plus, a number of those games, including Sonic R and Sonic CD, are just not compatible with even the oldest Windows versions.) What made Sonic Adventure DX for the PC stand out for me was the fact that neither Sega nor Activision actually advertised the PC version - they just simply released it and hoped the public would notice. Obviously, when you don't advertise something, no one knows it's there - Even sites like IGN and GameSpot neglected to review the game. In addition, if you search for reviews of the PC version, you'll only come across one or two among an endless supply of GameCube articles. Therefore, I was pretty shocked when I found out the PC version existed; Sega PC isn't new to me at all, but Sonic Adventure DX for the PC, a project that seemingly vanished since its announcement, was an interesting discovery. :p

By the way, I'm still curious - what additions or changes were made to make the GameCube version "DX?" Did they add any new levels, characters, or mini-games?

EDIT: By the way, Tsumake, I've played through the demo stages numerous times with the highest settings, and the game runs perfectly. Sonic Adventure DX, judging from the demo, has the best menu system ever developed for a Sega PC title - Chances are, the people who had trouble with the framerate did not explore the options menu, which features plenty of performance-related settings.

Originally posted by Quakester2000@Sun, 2005-03-20 @ 12:44 AM

There are loads of sega games that came out on the PC.

Sega PC Mega Pack( Crazy Taxi, Sega Bass Fishing, Sonic R, Virtua Fighter 2 and Sonic CD. Compilation titles include Sega Smash Pack (Super Shinobi, Vectorman, Altered Beast, Sonic Spinball, Columns, Outrun, Phantasy Star 2, and Golden Axe), Sega Smash Pack 2 (Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Shining Force, Vectorman 2, Super Hang On, Kid Chameleon, Comix Zone, and Flicky, and Sonic and Knuckles Collection (Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic Knuckles, and Sonic 3 Knuckles)

Sonic CD

Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Sonic Heroes

Sonic Adventure DX,

Panzer Dragon

Sega Bass Fishing

Virtua Cop

Crazy Taxi

Comix Zone

Virtua Cop 1 + 2

Virtua Fighter 1 + 2

Sega Rally

Daytona USA

Sonic R

Virtua Tennis

Afterburner

Outrun

Altered Beast

Golden Axe

Power Drift

Space Harrior

Super Hang On

Shinobi

Just to name a few, there are probably more.

[post=131856]Quoted post[/post]​

Here are a couple more:

House of the Dead

House of the Dead 2

Typing of the Dead

Virtual On Cybertroopers

Baku Baku Animal

Manx TT

NBA Action '98

Last Bronx

Back