step down converter

mrkotfw

Mid Boss
i have recently bought a japanese saturn and i have questions about the volts the jpn saturn maybe inputting. is there a 120 to 100 volt converter out there? i really really don't want to screw this saturn up. anyone out there living in the us with a japanese saturn? i forgot to mention that i live in the united states. btw, does anyone know what kind of wire comes in with the sega saturn mod-chip? the one i got from jandaman was too short

If your in the US your outlet will not hurt the jap saturn in any way. jap and US are both 110 voltage outlets in our houses.

(except for some small parts of japan and a good deal of other parts in asia are on 220V... but this is irrelevant to your problem)

thanks. but i'm getting a lot of different opinions! i saw a picture of the back of a us saturn and japanese saturn and they voltage differs by ~20 volts.

Saturn PSUs will take a fairly wide range of volatges.

I can't remember them exactly off the top of my head but the one you have would be something like 90v up to 125v. I'll check when I get home.

thank you mal. it's a white japanese (model two) saturn hm, it's: HST-0019

i'm not too sure what a `PSU' is, mind explaining?

Looking at the PSU that I swapped out of a white Saturn, it says 85V AC - 132V AC 0.4A 50/60Hz.

My white Japanese saturn runs fine from a 110-115V step down converter. (I live in a 240 volt region). I have had the system since new and it still works great.

Standard AC voltages in North America are 110, 115, 120V (standard household, outlet current) and 220, 230, 240V (standard household, large appliance current) Note that 110, 115 and 120V are considered equivalent for most applications as are 220, 230 and 240V. This is so because power delivered from a public grid varies from place to place. In rural areas you may measure 110VAC from a common wall outlet with a volt meter while in a city you may be able to measure AC power at levels as high a 127VAC. There is no need to be concerned about these minor differences however as most electrical devices operate over a voltage range with varying efficiency levels. Other custom AC voltages are available by special order. The range of custom AC voltages is approximately 12VAC ~ 480VAC.

Ya'll techies... you should know the properties of electricity!!!!

Originally posted by mal@Thu, 2005-02-17 @ 07:00 PM

Looking at the PSU that I swapped out of a white Saturn, it says 85V AC - 132V AC 0.4A 50/60Hz.

[post=129893]Quoted post[/post]​

Do I stutter?

That means that the PSU will work perfectly well in any voltage within that range. Sheesh.

okay, i got it but the power cord has the ends wierd looking. they look identical to each other! should i just use a us power cord for the jpn saturn?

update: i took some pics

jp power cord

us power cord

update:

so a lot of people have helped me. (thank you all) they said the difference between those two cords is just one of them polarized.

either, it doesn't matter! the PSU is gonna work just fine with either plug, they both fit fine in our outlets.

Back