Strange question about Saturn/SCD games

Does anyone here play their games with modified audio files? I mean, I personally despise 90% of the MMX3 for Saturn soundtrack and was wondering if anyone substituted music files. If you do, do you know if they have to be the same length as the original music file or not? I was thinking games like MMX3 and SFA2 would sound better with the original music from their native versions :)

it depends on the game, some work with different lengths, others need the exact ones.. no way to tell other than trying it out.

Does anyone here play their games with modified audio files? I mean, I personally despise 90% of the MMX3 for Saturn soundtrack and was wondering if anyone substituted music files. If you do, do you know if they have to be the same length as the original music file or not? I was thinking games like MMX3 and SFA2 would sound better with the original music from their native versions :)
SFA2 only has one audio track and it plays during the intro movie. The game music comes from the .MUS files on the data track. AFAIK, those .MUS files are proprietary and there are no codecs found on the net to allow you to decode/encode to these .MUS files. It would be great if someone studied these .MUS files and wrote an encoder and decoder though. :)

question.

i know the psx and pc version of sfa2 had non-realtime, pre-recorded fmv intro's as opposed to the snes version and the arcade version (well duh). what about saturn?

Try this:

Turn off the in-game music, or turn the volume down..

Turn on a radio/stereo/cd player or hire a band..

Thats how I replaced the soundtrack to NES games..

You can try replacing the audio tracks on a disc.. Worst that happens is ya waste a 20 cent blank cdr..

Some games play by position/sector.. ie; they say 'play from sector 182312 to 192411' - some of these will have one huge audio track with all game audio in it.. (alot do this, its more precise and seamless to seek subcode within a track than to seek the begining of the track)

Others just go 'play track 3'.. easier to code..

So try.. If the replaced tracks dont work, try trimming them to the exact length of the originals..

Personally I think my 'turn on the stereo' method is flawless and 100% with all game consoles..

Quote: from eatpenguin on 5:37 pm on Jan. 2, 2002

question.

i know the psx and pc version of sfa2 had non-realtime, pre-recorded fmv intro's as opposed to the snes version and the arcade version (well duh). what about saturn?

Saturn's intro was real-time. Made me feel proud back when it was new, compared to the shoddy PSX port. (Not to mention the PSX controller is Street Fighter ####.)

The PC version of SFA2 was a port of the PSX version, so that pretty much explains it. You can tell that the Saturn version had real time if you look at the file names and files sizes of the game data when you view it on your computer CD-ROM drive. Notice that the only really big files are the *.MUS files? Every other file is too small to constitute as a pre-rendered FMV (an FMV file that would have to be pretty big, at least 10MB big IMO).

hmmm.... .MUS files are music files that can be edited with Finale (a music writing proggie) and you can also import midi files into finale and then export them as .MUS files, I'm gonna have to look at my SFA2 cd to investigate this

I've personally changed the audio files in some of my games because most of the music on the disc was pretty crappy, for example Eternal Champions CD, You can change the audio files just make sure you have the same number of audio tracks and that you dont go over the size of the cd, Playing eternal champions to godsmack is much better than the dance / techno type crap they have in there originally.

Quote: from gofamon on 1:27 am on Jan. 4, 2002

hmmm.... .MUS files are music files that can be edited with Finale (a music writing proggie) and you can also import midi files into finale and then export them as .MUS files, I'm gonna have to look at my SFA2 cd to investigate this
How's the investigation coming along?

Bleah. Let's completely ruin the point of playing old games.

Let's just replace hte music with something we like better and totally change the entire gaming experience.

Um. No.

If you've already played the game adn want to try something new, I see no reason why people would not want to. I've been experimenting putting other games soundtracks into games I play and fidn the experience is more enjoyable (ie: Lords of Thunder soundtrack) that soundtrack with Android assault, really makes you think what he #### the game developers were doing in the first place.

Darn, my investigation was unsuccessful, the .mus files went into the program just fine, and I exported edited sound tracks back out. I replaced all the .mus files on the CD, burnt it, but no audio then came in the game and it the game was going screwy (crashing) I think its cause I didn't really mess with the length of the music files themselves, I only used one sound file for all of the .mus files , I'll have to do more research when I got some more time

Back