Stupidest idea ever :)

Ok, say you have multiple 32X's. Could you stack them, and have a 7 foot tall supercomputing stack of 32X's?

Would they be able to communicate with each other? Or would it be possible with a bit of hardware modification?

Maybe each 32X could pass the next chunk of code to the 32X below it!

I know it's the dumbest concept ever, but I think it'd be pretty funny if someone could get code running on something like that!

Originally posted by mal@Wed, 2005-02-23 @ 12:51 AM

I seem to recall that someone has asked this before...

[edit] Ha! It was you.

[post=130315]Quoted post[/post]​

I was just about to ask if it WAS me :p

Now that I've actually managed to boot code on the 32X I'm almost tempted to pick up a second one and try this silly ma neuver. You certainly wouldn't be able to have a cart based game (becuase of the way the cart is shared between the 32X and the Genesis), but you might be able to get away with a CD game. It really depends on whether the 32X can address the full 16MB address space provided by the cartidge slot (if not you can't access the necessary registers to boot the second 32X in the chain).

I like the comment about it being an economical space heater!

Why bother... they should start by using the 32X to its fullest potential first.

Originally posted by Mask of Destiny@Wed, 2005-02-23 @ 02:23 AM

Now that I've actually managed to boot code on the 32X I'm almost tempted to pick up a second one and try this silly ma neuver. You certainly wouldn't be able to have a cart based game (becuase of the way the cart is shared between the 32X and the Genesis), but you might be able to get away with a CD game. It really depends on whether the 32X can address the full 16MB address space provided by the cartidge slot (if not you can't access the necessary registers to boot the second 32X in the chain).

[post=130318]Quoted post[/post]​

If you could get that to work, that would be the coolest thing ever! I'm a newbie when it comes to console programming, I wanted to try it as a project for my embedded systems class but I realized I was in way over my head...

I have 2 32X's already, I'm just going to start collecting them and try and make a stack as tall as I am!

I doubt it would work (without severe hardware hacks to change the mapping); if I recall Charles MacDonald's descriptions right, it sounds like the 32X does its own DTACK generation and address decoding for a couple ranges not in the usual ROM address space.

Really? I assumed that the only thing it generated a DTACK signal for was access to the cartridge through the banked area. It's hard to imagine anything on the 32X that would be too slow for the 68K, though I suppose there are other possible areas of memory contention. Eh, I'll doubt I'll ever have 2 32Xs to waste my time with anyway.

"You certainly wouldn't be able to have a cart based game (becuase of the way the cart is shared between the 32X and the Genesis), but you might be able to get away with a CD game."

About the segacd boot:

Maybe just the lower 32x will work (cause it intercept some mapping) when the genesis will enable it...

To enable the second one (the top), it will require to use the bankswitch area but...

For the Dtack thing, i think too its only when the 2 cpus (68k and one of the Sh) want to acces cartridge at once.

BTw: In europe, it is said (on 32x box) "a 32x upgradable can upgrade a 32x" or something strange like that.... What is this for? What does it means?

My thought was that you'd use the first 32X to initialize the second one, but this will only work if the full 16MB of address space on the 32X cartridge port is available to the SH-2s.

Does the 32X work on the model 1 Genesis? For some reason I'm thinking it doesn't, I don't know why. Probably because everytime I see a 32X on the net its in a model 2 or model 3 Genesis.

It does work, though its operation is reportedly unstable on some board revisions (I haven't seen this myself).

So maybe thats the problem Snakey and I are having with our 32Xs... but wait that wouldn't explain why only 1 of my 3 do it. Grrrrrr.

Back