TDK, He-Man, and GBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExCyber

Staff member
I noticed the news item saying that TDK was considering a He-Man game for GC. This raises several questions:

1) Does this indicate some kind of Masters of the Universe revival? As it stands now, it seems TDK's a bit late to cash in on the He-Man craze, to put it nicely.

2) Is this game going to suck? My crystal ball has been known to make mistakes, but it seems to be leaning heavily toward "Yes". Keeping in mind that these are the people who presumably thought that Shrek and Casper were publishable franchises, I doubt they're going to do real nice with this one.

3) If my prediction on #2 turns out to be accurate, can Nintendo afford to put up with crap games being published on GC? Can they afford not to?

(Edited by ExCyber at 8:42 pm on May 14, 2002)

1) Err, I dunno to be honest. It might spark one, but hopefully, He-Mans fashion sense won't catch on ;)

2) Yeah, but unlike these, He-Man kinda has material to work with unlike Shrek and Casper... Final Fight style of game anyone? Still probably be cack like

3) Yeah, PS1 and PS2 survived under a MOUNTAIN of crap with only a few gems gleaming, whereas the Dreamcast with all it's A-class games died.... Doesn't seem to be a reflection of how good the games are anymore :(

After reading the IGN article, things don't look so hot:

"Masters of the Universe is a retro-brand that is still tremendously popular," said Vincent Bitetti, chief executive officer of TDK Mediactive. "And with the brand resurgence, it's the perfect time to make the leap into the videogame arena."

He-Man, the most powerful man in the Universe, re-joins the Masters of the Universe to once again battle the forces of evil. Twenty years after He-Man was first introduced, Mattel is bringing back the popular toy line, an updated version of the warrior-hero from Eternia, for a new generation of fans, featuring action figures and playsets.

In other words, it looks like this is purely a merchandising revival, and TDK only got the license because Mattel was selling and TDK was buying...

Moss Man was cool though. But his action figure smelled disgusting. I always used to get fun out of 'voodooising' their heads because they were squishy, you could make them have these tiny little heads. Ahh, thems were the days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back