The King of Fighters 99-2002

Sorry to say this but i really need to get it off my chest.....

KOF2K1 sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(peronal opinion though)

It felt really soul-less, personally KOF98 was the best in the series.

I'm sorry. I assumed that '99 Dream Match and KOF 99 were the same thing. :sigh

If you have any other recommendations, feel free to make them. To be honest, I made this topic a poll mainly because I really like polls. They're just fun.

To clarify my situation: I have 0 SNK fighters. I plan on buying 1. I'd like to know which one is generally considered the best on Dreamcast.

Garou - Mark of the Wolves is pretty mediocre. It looks nice, but it has a mediocre system.

Gekka no Kenshi 2 is a very nice game overall, but most King of Fighters games are better.

If you want to get a SNK fighting game for Dreamcast, get King of Fighters 98, one of best King of Fighters game ever created. 2001 was terrible in terms of music and backgrounds, but the system is really unique, it is all about gameplay with this release.

well I happen to think MOTW is excellent.

Some people consider it and Samurai Shodown II to be the best SNK fighters

I voted for '99 but I really meant '98, as it's titled '99 on the DC.

Stay away from KOF2000, it's a good game, but the controls on the DC rev are pretty stiff.

I would recommend '98 or '02 in that order, although as Des-ROW pointed out, the gameplay in 2k1 is very good.

I have to agree with Racket about MOTW however, it is an excellent game. It's very combo-friendly and the Just Defend system (although it pales in comparison to SF3's parry system) adds a lot of depth, as do TOP mode and dodge attacks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if you get LB2 make sure it's the JPN release, as the USA version lacks blood. Call me shallow, but you gotta have some blood in a game like this.

Originally posted by it290@Feb 24, 2004 @ 01:03 AM

I have to agree with Racket about MOTW however, it is an excellent game. It's very combo-friendly and the Just Defend system (although it pales in comparison to SF3's parry system) adds a lot of depth, as do TOP mode and dodge attacks.

Heh -- yeah I like SFIII much better for various reasons.

I dunno, I still find myself playing Garou more; I use about half the characters, wheras in SFIII I really only ever use Dudley and Chun-Li.

Street Fighter 3 - Third Strike is a lot better than Garou - Mark of the Wolves, in every aspect... well, maybe not in character design, both games excel in that area.

I like the soundtrack / sound effects & graphics in Garou better. I also prefer Garou's character design, as it's more consisent - some of the 3rd strike characters feel a bit tacked on. But the thing that sets it apart for me is that Garou just seems to flow a lot better, although I still enjoy 3s mightily.

Originally posted by it290@Feb 24, 2004 @ 02:31 PM

I like the soundtrack / sound effects & graphics in Garou better.

What!? Third Strike has the best OST ever seen in a fighting game, and regarding the graphics, Third Strike is far superior from a technical standpoint, just compare color palettes and animation.

Des-ROW, I think you forgot to include "In my opinion". ;)

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Feb 25, 2004 @ 09:19 AM

What!? In my opinion Third Strike has the best OST ever seen in a fighting game, and regarding the graphics, Third Strike is far superior from a technical standpoint, just compare color palettes and animation.

What!? Third Strike has the best OST ever seen in a fighting game, and regarding the graphics, Third Strike is far superior from a technical standpoint, just compare color palettes and animation

I admit the animation in 3S is a little bit better (on some characters, not all). But I just like the backgrounds and character style in Garou better from an artistic (not technical) standpoint. Also, the soundtrack really kicks ass, especially the BGM for Rock, Terry, and Kevin. The options menu song on the DC version is also awesome. ;)

Back