What good games are of this type of action/RPG

I recently played a game that I think might be categorized as an "action rpg", and it's mildly addictive. I've usually not cared for rpg-type games. I don't want want to walk around talking to people, doing daily chores, or collecting items. And I don't like fighting by taking turns and rolling the die. I like to shoot things.

I was wondering what good games are available for any sega system (master, genesis, CD, 32x, gamegear, saturn, dreamcast) that would be the type of game where you collect items and gain experience points and move up levels, but the gameplay is action-based. You fight and fight and fight in real time, without having to waste too much time talking to people or doing chores.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

JMT.

Light Crusader for Genesis, but if you're not into puzzles, don't play it.

Golvelious for Sega Master System is a pretty good zelda clone. I like it, anyway.

Gauntlet Legends for DC?

Phantasy Star Online for DC sounds like it works for you. There's not much talking to people unless you're online, and all you do is kill things for experience and new items.

Record of Lodoss War for Dreamcast is a good one. It's like Diablo, but with more emphasis on clearing areas and less on getting items. The game has some epic battles in it, too.

Well, one of the Oasis games (I think Beyond) has a code you can input for 2-player, although the game isn't really designed for it. PSO of course has online multiplayer. The GC/Xbox versions also feature split-screen. Gauntlet Legend also has multiplayer, of course.... so does Gauntlet IV for the Genesis, which has a cool 'quest' mode.

Really, there aren't too many multiplayer action RPGs out there. If you really want a game of that type, the best one in my opinion would be Secret of Mana on the SNES.

Also, I forgot to mention Shining Wisdom for the Saturn and Golden Axe Warrior for the Master System, both of which are pretty good.

It's already been mentioned, but I think your best bet is to go for Landstalker on Genesis. It's not an easy game though.

Also you might consider Crusader of Centy on Genesis (zelda clone), and Popful Mail on Sega CD (side scrolling action\rpg).

And the next one is not what you asked for, but have you ever played a game from the Shining Force series? It's a stategy rpg- combat is addictive. I don't like the combat system of typical rpg's either (such as Final fantasy, Phantasy Star, Dragon Quest). For starters, I'd recommend Shining Force 2 on Genesis, but Shining Force 3 on Saturn is best.

Yeah, Popful Mail is damn fun, but a little maze-y at times....

Monster World 4 is one of the best MD games I've ever played, if not THE best. It's neck and neck with Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

It's a SMS game, but it's also available on the Turbografx-16 as 'Dragon's Curse'. It almost plays like Metroid or something.

...and MW4 is Japanese, Mega Drive. Platforming, very smooth, colorful, but my only complaint is that it becomes too maze-like too early on.

Originally posted by Nadius@Fri, 2005-05-13 @ 01:18 AM

Light Crusader for Genesis, but if you're not into puzzles, don't play it.

I loved Light Crusader for the Genesis... and one that no one really mentions..

CRUSADER OF CENTY... it's like Legend of Zelda: A link to the past for the Genesis!! :D

Back