What is the best Saturn Racing game ?

I can't believe noone else has picked NASCAR 98! With the analog controller, it had the best control of any racing game I've played on any system outside of an arcade! (Of course, I grew up on the NASCAR circuit, then the S.T.A.R.S. and UDTRA circuits. That, and I know how to configure the car for each track based on my dad's actual track knowledge from having run real cars on those tracks.)

Originally posted by VertigoXX@Tue, 2005-10-11 @ 07:15 PM

I can't believe noone else has picked NASCAR 98! With the analog controller, it had the best control of any racing game I've played on any system outside of an arcade! (Of course, I grew up on the NASCAR circuit, then the S.T.A.R.S. and UDTRA circuits. That, and I know how to configure the car for each track based on my dad's actual track knowledge from having run real cars on those tracks.)

[post=140624]Quoted post[/post]​

I know NASCAR and Andretti Racing do contain a lot of modern features and details which are missing in the arcade racers.

But both games are disappointing and do look "cheap". Okay, there is some LOD management and in NASCAR, there is even rubber on the track. Okay, a lot of tracks and yeah, an evolution mode.

Nevertheless the graphics are bad and the games are buggy. Somehow I can't have much fun with them.

I might be in the minority, but... The better the graphics get, the less time I can stand to play. I get motion sickness. Now, I've driven a REAL race car on a REAL track, and that doesn't happen. Only with the "ultra-realistic graphics" of recent video games. Same thing happens to me now with FPS's. Used to be, I could play Wolfenstein 3D, Doom I and II, Heretic, Hexen, and Quake all day without any problems. But somewhere around Quake II I had to start playing in a window because full-screen gave me a headache. But anyways, I can forgive less than stellar graphics. Control is what matters to me in a driving game. If the slightest tap to the left or right sends you into the wall or into the infield, then the game has poor and unrealistic controls. Even most arcade games make the steering wheel over-sensitive. NASCAR 98 on the Saturn with the analog control is the ONLY console racing game I've played yet that had control sensitivity equivilant to the motion of a real stockcar's steering wheel.

Back