What OS do you use?

Desktop - Windows XP Pro w/ SP 2
Wife's laptop - Windows XP Pro w/ SP 1
My laptop - Mac OS X 10.3
Server - Windows 2000 Server

ME on my desktop, XP on my laptop. Currently building two 98se boxes (one for each of my two littlest sisters), a Linux box, and a DOS box for fun.

I just installed a third OS WinXP on this PC I already had win2k and win98se on dual boot, just trying XP for the first time, its not that great apart from the pretty icons and skins, I had to disable alot of shit with TuneUP 2004 and XPlite. I liked the DOS compatability thingy been playing Settlers 2 with sound and everything (couldn´t get sound on win98 :( )

ExCyber said:
Gentoo. Looking into switching though, possibly to BeOS or Windows 2000.

ROTFLMAO!!! Not that BeOS is a bad choice...

New laptop : Gentoo (~x86)
Old Laptop : Fedora Core 2 (DAG)
Work : W2K SP4 :'(

BeOS may be officially dead, but there's still a strong community hacking on drivers and programs and it has a reputation as a high-performance system with a very well-structured API. Win2K, of course, would purely be for compatibility; Wine has been falling over very badly lately for me (file dialogs don't work in the last few builds I tried <_< ).

You don't have to sell BeOS to me... I've been sold for a _long_ time.

My main issues are the very limited display driver options (vesa) and sub-par browsers... has anything changed?

I'm looking froward to seeing what Zeta/OpenBeOS/etc can achieve, although I do think their energy could be spent better elsewhere... (Be is dead... it sucks, move on :eek: )

RE: wine. I don't know. I don't use wine at all. I have pretty much every app I could want running natively and (with the exception of K3B) fully GTK2... :ph34r:

My main issues are the very limited display driver options (vesa) and sub-par browsers... has anything changed?
Well, it seems there's a Firefox port, and there are some apparently updated video drivers but still nowhere near what's supported by XFree86/X.Org.

Be is dead... it sucks, move on
Move on to what, though? I don't get the sense that any other system really shares its advantages. Personally, I've been sweet on Plan 9 (also undead) for a while now, in theory, but BeOS actually has apps.

I guess it depends on what you actually want to do with your computer?

I love Gentoo for the fact that I can set it up to be a nice secure and safe environment for my girlfriend to bank, shop and email her friends and family and it also gives me the chance to be completely geeky and recompile my kernal and mess with CFLAGS and other cool things...

I guess I don't understand why you'd want to move from Gentoo... _I_ can't see any other OS even comparing anymore.

Although, you've got me interested again, I think I'm going to install BeOS Dev Ed on my old Laptop, seems all the hardware should be compatible -> looky

Back