What sold you on the Saturn?

To be honest, I moved onto Saturn because I was a MegaDrive gamer, and so the Saturn was the natural progression.

Not the best reason of course, but I'm many other Sega gamers can claim the same...

I was kept on the Saturn however by the constant trickle of PlayStation ports, suprisingly. People all around me raved on about the latest PlayStation games, but when ports of the games usually appeared in almost-as-good fashion (Pandimonium!, Resident Evil and WipEout 2097 being prime examples), it took away any reason for me to want a PlayStation. In fact, I only eventually bothered to get one for Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy VII.

I played "D&D Tower of Doom" a lot at the arcades. And one day it disappeared ! I wanted to play it again, CPS2 was not emulated yet and the only console port was Saturn :)

I was lucky enough to find a modded Saturn (Mod Chip + Eur/Jap and 50/60Hz switch) very cheap (200 French francs=30 Euros !) and bought D&D Collection from a WebStore... it costed me twice the price of my Saturn :rolleyes:

And then I discovered some other GREAT games :

- Guardian Heroes

- Legend of Oasis

- Shining Force III

- Mr Bones !

Djidjo

the game that sold me on the saturm was the alleged US release of Silver Star Story. went to TRU and got a system with Guardian Heroes. the thing didnt shut off for a full week. also the music from Panzer Dragoon and playing the demo of the sequel in Epcot Center (tangrineth you sure you played saga? when i was there they had zwei to play) made me know i had something special. but then again Lunar never came stateside. oh well.

actually lurker it was may 11 1995 that was the day i got mine and babbage's had them for 3 hours before i got mine at 2:30 in the afternoon hope that helps !

around 98 i saw it used in a local game store for $30, and they had figters megamix for $5. i liked that game a lot from playing it on a demo machine in the same store, so i bought it. and good times ensued once i found this site while looking for saturn "romz"

believe it or not Myst basically sold me. I didn't have a computer untill the year 2000, but back in Saturns hey day i rented the system twice from blockbuster both times with Myst, and also Virtua Cop 2 once, and Bug once. I also liked to play at my uncle's house with his saturn, he had Daytona, Virtua Fighter 2, bootleg sampler II, and the NiGHTS demo. so all of my expierinces with the Saturn were good. I only wish i could of afforded it while it was still alive in the US. I got mine used at Funcoland for $40 + Myst in January 1999. I now have a large collection of probably around 60 Saturn games.

A friend of mine rented it from a video shop, He asked me to play Virtua Fighter with him and the minute I saw it I was hooked, I talked about it that much to my mom (what I was 5) that she got me one for christmas.

How little it cost ($0 :D ) I was in the local game shop which I frequent quite a bit and the owner mentioned that he'd just gotten a saturn in (because I normally buy older systems/games). He handed it to me to see and my eyes lit up, when I asked how much he just said "its yours" :) I know I would've ended up getting one off ebay eventually if that hadn't happened, but it sure was nice :cool: I still remember when the saturn first came out, I was in awe at how amazing Virtua Fighter looked in the mall. The price was way beyond question for my age though.

Funnily enough, I also came to SX for the isos :lol: The FTP section was cut off soonafter I came, but I was already hooked to the rest of the boards :cheers

---Ammut

what really sold me was the graphics. it was the first time i was away from 2d graphics. i don't remmeber when i bought it, i thuink late 1996, or early 1997.

but the one game tha kept my interest in saturn was shinng force 3 :D

Back