What sold you on the Saturn?

It was '95 or '96, I can't really remember which, and it was sitting all alone on demo at K'Mart. It was desolated around it. On it, was the legendary Nights. Played that game for 2 hours straight (my eyes were completely bloodshot) I was so hooked.

I actually waited to buy it a long while later, though. I guess in '97.

Initially it was Virtua Fighter and Virtua Cop. Those games looked awsome back in Christmas of '94. I played them at the arcade until 2000, when I bought my Saturn and had it modded. By that time KOF '95 and other 2d games had my interest, as did the relatively low cost of import saturn games.

Originally posted by aaron@Sep 29, 2003 @ 01:18 PM

it was $30 at funcoland in like 1999. i got it with daytona usa, virtua fighter 2, and virtua cop (i picked them individually, i didn't get the 3 in 1 deal) for a dollar each. i put it away for around 3 years, then when i got back into gaming, i pulled it out, downloaded some games, and was completely blown away by what i had been missing. what a fantastic system.

Same here to the letter almost.

Shining Force ... I'd played all the games in the series except for the Saturn ones (SF3, SW, and StHA)...

And emulation was just too damn slow... So I went ahead and bought one.... damn good decision, if I do say so myself. =)

My first play of a Saturn was in Myer where they had Gex set up. I was a kid with a megadrive at the time so to me, Gex was amazing.

But the purchase of my Saturn came not from that, but from DAYTONA USA.

My dad and I always used to go to TimeZone and other various arcades to play Daytona, we just loved it. So when the Saturn came out we had to get one. As you can guess Daytona Usa Was my first game. My dad also got Clockwork Knight with it so my sister would have something to play.

hmm... that was a long time ago now. I dont have that Saturn anymore. It was a first model Saturn and for some reason my dad returned it and exhanged it when the second model came out. There was something actually wrong with it but i cant remember.

I complained about the revised controller though. i liked the original!

:banana gotta love that dancing banana

Originally posted by mal+Sep 30, 2003 @ 12:15 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Sep 30, 2003 @ 12:15 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Resident_Lurker@Sep 30, 2003 @ 06:10 AM

No one regrets getting one, do they?

My bank balance does. ;) [/b][/quote]

Was it the Saturn or your arcade boards that made your bank account that way? :D

Well, it started with the Saturn, then it was ST-V - because they're similar, right?

Then I got some System 16 classics. Nothing too heavy, I could give up any time. Little did I know where it was heading. :rolleyes:

I'm thinking about a NAOMI system next... :lol:

icon-pennybags-110-164.jpg

What sold me on the Saturn?

I remember years ago, at Epcot Centre in Orlando, FL... in Innoventions... it was during the early, BIG push at N64's launch. Innoventions had a HUGE section dedicated to showing off the Saturn... no PS1. This was during a school trip... I was a big time gamer already (SNES 4LIFE) and so I played the field, so to speak... I only remember one game, though, and after playing its 'demo' I knew one day I would get a Saturn for that game.

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

it was night, thought it looked liek the coolest thing in the world. hated it once i actually played it though. now my interest is maintained by the same thing that maintanes my interset in the dreamcast. weird japanese games

I lost interest in games for a long time after the Megadrive and the SNES. Must have been about three years ago that the bug came back and I was sold on the Saturn mainly for the shooters, since that's what I was into before.

The main reason that took me to buy a Saturn was WorldWide Soccer 97, on 8th December 1996.

So, i bought a Saturn, WWS97 and Virtua Fighter 2.... these two are the first games of my collection. By the time, that was a little expensive but it was surely worth it.

You also asked what didn't sell you on the saturn, so I'll tell why for me. I was a big sega fan already and was quite happy with the sega cd and genesis. But after getting the 32x I really lost alot of faith in Sega.

I didn't get a playstation, but my brother did, and I can certainly say the first generation games on psx wiped the floor with their saturn equivelants, at least graphically (and in gameplay in my opinion). Just look at Virtua Fighter vs Tekken or Toshinden or Daytona vs Ridge Racer. I wasn't anti Saturn, but had no particular need to buy one. A few years later my friend went to europe for a few months and I borrowed his Saturn while he was gone, along with several games. At Toys R Us I saw Shining Force 3 for $20. Never played an SF game, but I knew it was one of the last Saturn games and the price was right, so what the hell. Love that game, and it was so good I bought my own Saturn to play it, as well as to get Scenario 2 and 3, the first import games I ever bought.

ahh my glorious saturn! bought on may 11 1995 in a babbage's when i just walked in...it was the only one they had left (they got 3 in) bought it and daytona then walked across the street and bought panzer dragoon and was in bliss till this day, first saturn died (model 1 mind you) bought a model 2 and still love the 255 games i have to this day (any major title us or import i have) and still play it to this day, as a mtter of factly i play it more than my dreamcast which got heavy play during the shooter extravagnza that came out for a bit i.e.-mars matrix, gunbird, giga wing you know the drill....still play radiant sivelrgun and play guardian heroes with my roommate, been playing sreet fighter zero 3 for the past 2 days (thinks he can stop my invincible gouki, yea right) but that's about it i own every system since 1978 and can tell you i love sega more than anyone owning every iteration of every system they've ever released. so yea....that's my story

Back