What type of internet connection do you have?

grrrr... i have 56k... blows...

but im getting a broadband account in 2 weeks... 3 meg dl, 512k upload, and a static IP... I cant wait.

Originally posted by Flakvin@Aug 20, 2004 @ 04:15 PM

Excuss me.. I use 64K ISDN. :wanker

IMPOSSIBLE!

Do you really? Seriously....seriously....seriously....really?

im stuck with 56K at home, but at uni/work i have got access to the T3 line!!!

i'll attach one of my download times when i get there next. i think it is like 4.02MB (not Mb) per second; and that is with about 10,000 people using the same connection. The biggest bummer though is comming home from uni and having to use my dialup connection. :damn:

Must be E3 Berty - the "T" series of connection standards is an American thing. ;)

For myself (at home), I think I've mentioned before, I'm on 512K DSL with a 24Gb/month limit which is a damn sight better than it was a month or so ago. At Uni I have the potential to get better speeds, but that rarely happens. I think we have around a 22-24Mbits internet link there.

I've got cable. No other real options for broadband here. I mean, I could get Satellite, but that's not gaming-friendly.

Berty: They've got to have a bunch of lines... or the other people just don't use the internet much.

I mean, I could get Satellite, but that's not gaming-friendly.

Another nasty thing about satellite that you won't see in the ads, at least with DirecWay in the continental US, is that you're not allowed to actually use more than 56K bandwidth on the standard plan. Sure, you can get it to burst faster, but your bursts are limited to an overall rate of 56K. They conveniently sweep this little tidbit under a rug they call the "Fair Access Policy".

Verizon DSL

Attachments

• DSL.jpg
    DSL.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 159
  • DSL.jpg
    DSL.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 161
Originally posted by Posthvman@Aug 21, 2004 @ 06:21 PM

Cable 300 mbps.

the only way to connect.

the only way to breathe.

Umm... 300 mbps? Which would work out to 37.5MB/sec? Over 6 times more downstream than a single T3 line?

Anyway, I test out at about 3.9 mbps tops, usually its around 3.2 mbps. They were supposed to cap us at 3 a while back, but I've never noticed any change. My upload is only 256k max, and I usually only get around 200-220. But that's because when they upgraded, they added a second tier of service. 4mbps down, 512kb up - but it's like $80 a month!

Back