Dreamcast can't play games :(

I'm having trouble getting most games to play on my Dreamcast: most of them will bring up the

"Please insert game disc" message, when selecting [play] from the menu, while very few finally

get working after a few repeated attempts. Note that all my games are backups, and I have tried

re-copying most of them to no avail.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? Will I have to recalibrate the CD lens for it to work properly

again, and if so, could somone provide some links describing the process?

By the way, Happy new year ;)

might have a dirty laser lens...clean it with a soft cloth

might help

havent had to calibrate my lens so far so i dunno

hi man......ive heard of this b4....Dreamcasts made after i think 2001 were made not to read CD-R , it may read it once or twice but not consistently also if it does run it may be choppy and jumpy.....

i read a guy who thought he had 1 of those DCs after 2001 but cleaned the DC laser lens with a CD lens cleaner.....and now his DC is alright....u might have the same case

give me a buzz on the email....i think i can help u more

check this site too , but dont try it yet.....theres other things u can try 1st

http://www.geocities.com/zeph340/

s8n@iprimus.com.au

s8n

How many discs have your tried this with?

Your backups might just be sucky burns and/or lousy media

HI,

I think i know what the problem is.

I know the Dreamcast has a lousy close mechanism compared to the Saturns.

Inside the machine the cantilever that tells the machine that the lid is closed sometimes wears down after about a year or so.

Try putting something on the lid so that is held down almost shut,But not quite.

I am confident that your disk will start to spin.

I bought many Dreamcasts with this problem and got them all to work and also play Ikaruga (radiant silver gun 2).

All the best,

Ian.

;)

Mine started doing that mysteriously after using it for several months. To get it to work for a while I'd hit it on the side of the console and it would work for a couple hours. About 6 months ago I took it apart, and cleaned the mechanism that moves the laser in and out and it started working again.

It was doing this to me on original as well as backup copies of games. Not sure if this is what your problem is, but mine was that the laser would not seek...

Back