AtomisWave

Is AtomisWave the future of Dreamcast?

At the AOU, Japan's biggest Arcade convention, Sammy and SNK Playmore annouced that they will work together in the future and concentrate on the AtomisWave arcade board, which is nothing but a modded Dreamcast system.

The first games for Sammy's AtomisWave platform will be Samurai Spirits AW, King of Fighters 2004 and Metal Slug 6, which will be based on all previous released Metal Slug plus online play.

But we also have a very sad news for you regarding the NeoGeo. According to the German videogame magazine GameFront, SNK Playmore also annouced at the AOU, that Samurai Spirits Zero Special will be the last NeoGeo game ever and future projects will be released on the AtomisWave board only. Many people can't believe it, others won't believe it. Our own contact in Japan told us that this rumour was spread over most of the Japanese gaming websites and this could be a false information because of translation errors at the end.

The only positive rumour is, that upcoming AtomisWave games could find it's home version on the Dreamcast, because of the similar architecture, and additionally Sammy's C.E.O. Hajime Satomi became chairman of the supervisory board at Sega Japan last week, so let's hope Sammy is also interested in the welfare of the Dreamcast fans, not only in Sega as a company.

http://www.dreamcast-scene.com/index.php?id=48

I'm with you probably, but when you look at it fully, it will be cheap for Sammy to make since it's just modding a DC. Not really anything state of the art. Plus no NeoGeo means that would neck of the woods in your lap for games. I think they'll take it up.

I just want to see the Dreamcast live!!! I still play mine at least once a week.

Sammy stopped supporting the Dreamcast long ago, people just do not understand when a system is dead.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Feb 24, 2004 @ 01:43 AM

Sammy stopped supporting the Dreamcast long ago, people just do not understand when a system is dead.

And Sega stopped supporting it long before that. But the Dreamcast has certainly defied the logistics of console life and death before.

I don't know. Stranger things have happened. Sega is going to give us Puyo Puyo Fever, and SNK has evidently seen the release of multiple KOF titles as profitable. If Sega and SNK saw a port as profitable, perhaps Sammy will to. Of course, this is just my optimistic side talking.

On a side note, I don't believe a console ever truly dies. It only retires. :)

Theres a new versus comming for it "Sammy vs Capcom" will we finally have Capcom sprites in hires? And heck if they released games for NEOGEO why not adopt a newer console like the DC it has a big fan base almost of all SNK fans have one. But I suppose the new games will be on home consoles too probably not the DC but who knows.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Feb 24, 2004 @ 12:43 AM

Dreamcast didn't die! And it will never die! Besides, It's SNK's decision to port, NOT Sammy's! So we just may end up getting future KoF games. Some Neo Geo fans believe that the DC is the second coming of the Neo Geo. I kinda agree with them! Hopefully we will get ports of 'em to DC.

All I want is SVC: Chaos on DC.....

Originally posted by Cloud121@Feb 24, 2004 @ 09:07 AM

Some Neo Geo fans believe that the DC is the second coming of the Neo Geo. I kinda agree with them!

Hahaha, no. SNK does not plan to commit suicide once more.

A sad day for NeoGeo fans for sure.

But Sega and SNK games have always been kinda intertwined since the Saturn days, when the Saturn became *the* console for NeoGeo games without having to buy the expensive proper carts... so it's not too suprising to see such a mixed fate.

SNK games have sold well on the Dreamcast, even today, so there is good chance of more SNK ports, provided Sammy has no say, which I don't think they do, so...

We all know the DC isn't really much anymore when it comes to new games. We get a few but few and far between when they aren't dating sims.

The Atomiswave has been around for a while. This is nothing all that new. The new thing is that the system has just recently begun to get some heavy support and attention. Now that SNK has officially retired the NeoGeo, in favor of the Atomiswave, the system should really begin to take off. This was just hte shot in the arm that it needed.

Mind that Sammy intends to force Sega to make games for the Atomiswave also. That might or might not be interesting to see.

It is fact. The press releases are out. My friend has some ties at SNK and it's confirmed.

Note also that the hardware that SNK is most used to, aside from the NeoGeo, is the Dreamcast. So it shouldn't be that difficult a transition for them.

I do agree. SNK seems to have effectively positioned itself as the more progressive company. Especially since Capcom gave up developing new fighting games a couple of years ago, it should take no time at all for SNK to surpass them.

Funny how these things work out, isn't it. Just two years ago it looked like they were out of the picture altogether.

unfortunately, fighting games -- espec 2D ones are going out of style with the mainstream teeniebopper crowd.

It's only the diehards that enjoy them.

Originally posted by Tagrineth+Feb 25, 2004 @ 02:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tagrineth @ Feb 25, 2004 @ 02:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cloud121@Feb 24, 2004 @ 09:07 AM

Dreamcast didn't die! And it will never die!

Now that's a lovely fanboy statement...

Where's my HALO for SNES, dammit? [/b][/quote]

Getting ported from the Colecovision, with improved graphics!!

Attachments

• Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    29.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    29.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Untitled.gif
    Untitled.gif
    29.2 KB · Views: 81
Originally posted by racketboy@Feb 24, 2004 @ 05:45 PM

unfortunately, fighting games -- espec 2D ones are going out of style with the mainstream teeniebopper crowd.

It's only the diehards that enjoy them.

It's mainly the arcade crowd too. People still play MvC2 at my local arcade like it's just come out.

But I agree with you. I personaly think fighting games are the best sort of games out there.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Feb 24, 2004 @ 06:43 AM

Do you actually follow Dreamcast releases in Japan? They have had a few games that have been high profile. And the next big one is late March. Psyvariar 2 is coming to the Dreamcast via Naomi, if they release games in Japan only they can still make money on good releases for the Dreamcast.

Back