Gameplay Video Archive

racketboy

Established Member
Yeah I know -- there hasn't been much going on with it yet, but that's about to change.

I'm getting ready to get the ball moving and get some videos together.

If you'd like to get involved, please check out the Gameplay Video Archive site.

I've updated it a little and have a discussion board going.

In case you don't know what this is all about, here's the thread that got the idea started.

Please feel free to post any questions, ideas, or concerns here and/or on the GVA board.

What exactly are you doing? And what do you need? I have a saturn and I can capture video and stuff on my pc (though I've never really played with it much).

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Oct 15, 2003 @ 10:58 PM

What exactly are you doing? And what do you need? I have a saturn and I can capture video and stuff on my pc (though I've never really played with it much).

Basically I'm looking to get full-res (or at least good) captures of actual gameplay in not-too-lossy format.

For each game, I'm hoping get a brief shot of the title screen, some menu selection, and a few minutes worth of actual gameplay. Keeping cutscenes and such to a minimum. Something to give the viewer a real good scence of what the game is like. Not just some marketing-type trailer.

I will edit the video to make it look presentable and have lower-res versions for DLs and higher res ones for a hopefull DVD release for a collection of games.

well I imagine whatever my video card ends up capturing will be ntsc standard resolution. I could capture some stuff for ya if you want. Would you prefer to receive big undedited high quality stuff or what? My upstream for sending things like this to get edited is less than wonderful, but better than dialup (it goes at about 16K/sec).

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Oct 15, 2003 @ 11:11 PM

well I imagine whatever my video card ends up capturing will be ntsc standard resolution. I could capture some stuff for ya if you want. Would you prefer to receive big undedited high quality stuff or what? My upstream for sending things like this to get edited is less than wonderful, but better than dialup (it goes at about 16K/sec).

unedited is preferable.

I'm on a T1 at work. But whatever's best for you.

To those who don't want to send over a slow connection, mailing CDRs or DVDRs are always an option.

Make sure to check out the checklists on my site to see who has expressed interest in recording what games already.

BTW, I'm also looking for FTP owners and such who would like to host some of the downloadable videos once we have some availible.

I will also have them availible on the Classic Sega Hub, but I won't always be online.

I have an ftp, though once again the upstream on my connection is pretty not spiffy. Dunno much about how bit torrent works, but that might be a good way to go about hosting the videos.

Well I'll do a few for ya I guess, and I can put them up on my ftp for ya. I'll post a list of what games I can do for you on the forum when my password arrives.

Bit torrent would be good if you packaged all the videos together into one file. Lots of Sxers would download it at once, which is what Bit torrent is great for. As for individual vids, I'd be glad to host a bundle on an ftp but of course it would not be up 24/7.

---Ammut

:( Shitface would like to help out... so many Dreamcast games he could do. But i have no video capture cards or whatnot. Nor the cash to get one. Have fun boys.

Anywho. I did something like that for a 7th grade project long ago. About video games. I recorded the PSX intro then a bunch of game footage while i gave a presentation about specs and stuff. Then the N64, followed by (best for last) the Saturn. People thought saturn looked great. Then i talked of the dreamcast and ps2, and how the dreamcast would revolutionise gaming! WAHOO! But... everyone was interested more in the ps2. I did convince a few people to get a dreamcast in the future however. Well, thats enough otta me.

Originally posted by Shitface@Oct 16, 2003 @ 01:34 PM

:( Shitface would like to help out... so many Dreamcast games he could do. But i have no video capture cards or whatnot. Nor the cash to get one. Have fun boys.

Anywho. I did something like that for a 7th grade project long ago. About video games. I recorded the PSX intro then a bunch of game footage while i gave a presentation about specs and stuff. Then the N64, followed by (best for last) the Saturn. People thought saturn looked great. Then i talked of the dreamcast and ps2, and how the dreamcast would revolutionise gaming! WAHOO! But... everyone was interested more in the ps2. I did convince a few people to get a dreamcast in the future however. Well, thats enough otta me.

you can get a decent TV card for like $30 on eBay.

not that expensive

Wow, really? Man, then once i get cash, im going to be all over that. I have fallen away from pc knowledge. What would you recomend. Here is the only thing i know about my pc specs.

1.8 GHz celeron processor

A very crappy 3D Intel Extreme Graphics card (came with the machine)

256 sdram? Or Mb, whatever its called.

well check out the links I have on my Video Hardware page.

Usually people recommend a Haugepage WinTV for a good starter card.

However, I got a Matrox G400 TV which is a respectible graphics card (not the greatest gaming card though -- strength is 2D) plus a TV tuner. I got it on eBay for $40

Another thing that would help your system is a fast hard drive. What size and speed is it? Do you know? 5200RPM? 7200RPM?

What OS do you use?

On another note, I finally got the sound to work with my capture stuff, so I will hopefully start capturing this weekend!

I also have a few videos that Mr Saturn graciously offered for us to use.

I picked a few of his highest res videos:

Sonic R

Shining Force III: Ep 1 (Jap version)

Thunderforve V (I need to add a title screen to it)

I'll hopefully have these and another good capture to release next week.

Is anyone capable of recording from a emulator like VGA into your capture card?

My tuner card doesn't seem to get along well with my card for some reason.

Like it's the signal or something.

I'm sure you could get much better resolution from an emu anyway

ok -- serious question...

is there anybody really that interested in this?

you won't hurt my feelings if you say no.

I'm not able to do this on my own. I'm having enough problems finding the time to do a couple games let alone the hardware problems I get from time to time.

If there isn't enough interest in this, I can just blow off this project and work on other stuff that may be more feasable.

Opinions, please!

alright, I'm gonna put the project on the back burner for a number of reasons.

I'm gonna start something different that should be a bit more feasible and more people might actually enjoy it.

Let you know what it is later...

I am interested in this but I need a video capture card?? I was wondering if you knew how much a video capture card runs.? But I would be seriously interested in this rack.

:slap :banana :banana :banana

you can get a decent one for $30-$40 on eBay

the WinTV cards are said to be good.

If anybody wants to still work on it, that's fine, but I'm just not making it a priority of mine.

check out my website for more info, stack :)

Back