Gameplay Video Archive

Well it doesn't work, so we'll redo the videos tonight, didn't take too long lol. Either that or re-encode them in vdub or something.

I'll check it out when I get home. It may just be cause I'm remote desktop controlling my pc right now... but when I told vdub to capture video from my video card, it basically said "screw you, capture it yourself bitch".... well with more words... and none of the swearing.

Edited to be more family/work friendly.

Now that I won't be recording it in ati's software (or re-encode it in vdub) is there any particular codec you want? I think I have divx 5 (not pro) installed, other than that... I dun think I really have anything good.

Edit: lol haven't used vdub in a few years, not since I used to use flask and it to rip and encode dvd's back in the day.

Edit: okay well I'm going to try that vcr thing, cause vdub can't open those mpg's either. Dunno wtf kind of abomination the ati software created.

Okay, after a couple hours work, I've decided the video I'm going to send you will be in divx 3.11 Fast motion at a high bitrate. The reasoning? well, if I capture in YUV2, we're looking at 10+ minutes to actually capture 1 minute of footage (it saving to the hard drive and all and copying files around), then I have to re-encode it. If I try and record directly to xvid I get only sound, and if I record directly to divx 5.1 it drops 50% of the frames. None of those sound good. Divx 3.11 I get no frame drops, good video, and I don't have to re-encode.

Even if I didn't care about having to re-encode, compressing to xvid returns 1 error message and encoding to divx 5.1 gives another message, but in either case those don't seem to want to work at all lol. If you need the codec I can provide it for you.

Well, if I capture directly to divx 3.11 it seems to be laggy as hell when there is a lot of stuff going on. When I do it into the YUV2 or whatever format so that the files are like 1GB+ per minute and re-encode it in vdub it still looks bad. I need to look into another solution tomorrow.

yeah you're starting to see my problems.

You might want to look into Huffy or MJPEG for capturing.

Huffy isn't very lossy but the size decrease is nice.

MJPEG is tad more lossy but compresses nice.

just take your time

but don't stress out if it isn't perfect

Best bet with capturing video is to capture as uncompressed video and then reencode it after using a GOOD video editing program. The problem with encoding on the fly is that it really stresses the CPU to keep up and it inevitable never does. Especially with longer clips. Keep in mind you will need alot of space for the video though.

Back