Help Preserve Vintage Gaming Magazines!

racketboy

Established Member
Some of you may have read this thread. I have already started scanning some of my old gaming magazines and we have some availible to download very soon. There are also a couple other SX members who are planning to contribute as well.

With Iceman2K's help we will soon have a nice magazine archive to compliment our growing Soundtrack section.

Our goal is to scan every page (including ads) of the magazines that we can find at a good resolution, clean them up in Photoshop (or your choice of software) and convert them to PDFs.

If you have magazines, but can't scan them yourself, post them on here and see if someone will take care of them for you.

Im not really good at scaning, but I have been asked to scan 1 magazine, which I will do at some point. If the result is crap can I send the origonal jpegs to someone to touch up on photoshop?

Hmm, well, Garbage In, Garbage Out as the saying goes. It's pretty hard to touch up a bad scan- you can usually color correct it to some semblance of normalcy, sharpen it, and clean out the chunks and dust, but that's about as far as you're going to get.

Originally posted by finty101@Jun 29, 2004 @ 09:33 PM

Im not really good at scaning, but I have been asked to scan 1 magazine, which I will do at some point. If the result is crap can I send the origonal jpegs to someone to touch up on photoshop?

I can touch it up

Usually the things I touch up are:

tears/creases

make the edges clean

adjust brightness and contrast to get to make whites and black be what they should be and get rid of bleed from back page

Right now all I'd be able to do is make .pdf files. My scanner won't work on Win 2000/XP. If I can make a scanning rig out of a laptop, that isn't unbearably slow, I might be able to do this for you.

Will this just be Sega Mags?

As I got loads of sales literature and dealer only lists of various platforms stuff.Some read things like £1000 for 1MB of RAM,£300 for a double sided disk drive etc.Well it was 1985.....

I'm looking for all platforms -- just stuff that's at least like 3 or 4 years old.

BTW, Dr. Frankenminga, did you ever get my PMs and email?

Originally posted by mountaindud@Jun 30, 2004 @ 01:58 AM

Right now all I'd be able to do is make .pdf files. My scanner won't work on Win 2000/XP. If I can make a scanning rig out of a laptop, that isn't unbearably slow, I might be able to do this for you.

what scanner are you using?

does it not have drivers for it?

if anything, you could dual boot into 98 or something :)

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 30, 2004 @ 01:45 PM

what scanner are you using?

does it not have drivers for it?

if anything, you could dual boot into 98 or something :)

Disregard that other comment. I'm going to buy that scanner you linked to in the other topic. I've been meaning to get a new one. Now I just need a printer. :sigh

Originally posted by mountaindud@Jun 30, 2004 @ 02:18 PM

Disregard that other comment. I'm going to buy that scanner you linked to in the other topic. I've been meaning to get a new one. Now I just need a printer. :sigh

I bought it a few hours ago, what a steal. :thumbs-up:

Anyway, I'll gladly scan the Sega Visions for you. But now for the akward part, discussing money. :D Let's discuss via PM.

just PMd you back

money shouldn't be an issue.

I greatly appreciate the help.

correction to the number of issues I have availible for others to scan: 23

but shipping is still on me

BTW, there's no huge rush

WHOA WHOA WHOA! He's scanning the Sega Visions?! Are you gonna get 'em back racket?!

What's gonna happen to 'em?

:unsure:

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jun 30, 2004 @ 11:40 PM

WHOA WHOA WHOA! He's scanning the Sega Visions?! Are you gonna get 'em back racket?!

What's gonna happen to 'em?

:unsure:

No, I'm doing the other ones. racketboy is scanning the Sega Visions.

Back