How long did your NES last? - mine didn't last very long b/c

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
...my older idiot brother stomped (yes, literally with his foot) on it to death because we were fighting to play it when we were little kids. That bastard always had a bad temper and whatnot. I think we had the NES for about two years only IIRC. Many years later, the Saturn and DC were be my next consoles after the death of a shared NES.

We bought Zelda when we bought the system. To this date, it's still my favorite NES game, runner up would be Zelda II ;). Besides the two Zelda games, other games that I really enjoyed playing on the NES include:
  • Blaster Master
  • Contra
  • Double Dragon
  • Double Dragon II
  • Excite Bike
  • Golf
  • Jackal
  • Major League Baseball
  • Metroid
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Super Dodgeball
  • Super Mario Brothers
  • Super Mario Brothers 2
  • River City Ransom
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II
  • Trojan
    • Thanks to emulators, I can always go back and play them on my computer or DC.

My first one lasted for a pretty good while - over a decade. Then the power switch burned out (IIRC; it might have just fell apart but ISTR it being burned).

Hmm, why did you skip the 16-bit era?

And Trojan is one of your favorite games?? I had Trojan, bought it used for very cheap, it sucked. :)

CrowTRobo

Well, I didn't really skip the 16-bit era, it's just that I didn't own a 16-bit system. I did have access to playing my friends' systems (e.g., NES, Genesis, SNES, TurboGrafx 16).

I had borrowed my friend's Genesis once, with games like Phantasy Star II-IV, Shining in the Darkness, Sword of Vermillion, Shadow Dancer, etc. PSII and SITD were great; I was really hooked into playing those two games at that time. I've played the SNES too, but I didn't get to really play A Link to the Past as much as I wanted to though.

As for Trojan, it was a game that I realized that I was good at it when I first played it. I found ways to defeat the bosses easily. I still remember how to defeat Achilles, the last boss with a huge sword. Anyway, I know I didn't buy this game, I sort of found it somehow, don't remember the exact details though, it was a long time ago. Did you beat this game?

Quote: from MasterAkumaMatata on 1:40 am on Oct. 20, 2001
Did you beat this game?

I don't even think I was able to get past the second level. :) I found the game extremely hard.

Bought it used though so it wasn't a huge loss, don't think I paid anymore then $10 for it.

CrowTRobo

I wish I still had my nes so I could comment on how long its lasted, but I sold it when I was like 8 or 9 years old. I ended up about three years ago buying another though (3 more actualy, sence it was $5 for the lot of them). I love those old NES games, but I tend to play them on my DC now instead because while I want to play them on a consol and not a pc, plus I dont have to worry about that stupid blinking power light this way :)

I used to have an NES, but it was very dirty inside. About four years ago, games started to restart about 10 minutes into it. I sold it, and got about 20 dollars for the system, two controllers, and 13 games. I had games like Battletoads, Excite Bike, Punch out, Mario! Great quality games!

I bought my Nes in late '87 and it still works like a charm! I have a lot of games, including Final Fantasy 1 and Quattro Adventure (I love super robin hood).

i still my NES that i got new for christmas with the mario/duckhunt combo for christmas in the late 80s or early 90s, i dont really remember. It still works pretty good, i can get any game to boot after a few tries, but the RF switch broke a while back so i use the a/v cables. My favorite games include:
Zelda
ZeldaII
Metal Gear
Bionic commando
Contra
ski or die
skate or die
tecmo Super bowl <-- best sports game ever!!

Quote: from MasterAkumaMatata on 4:14 am on Oct. 19, 2001
...my older idiot brother stomped ...
i remember my older brother doing stuff like taking the AC adapter with him whenever he went to camps or such, to make sure i wont be able to play...damn bastard. anyway, i remember my mom gave the NES away to charity *w/o* consulting either of us. my SNES (which I paid for with MY own $$$) shared same fate.

i had like the most generic games for NES.
Mario1/Duckhunt/that power pad game
mario2
mario3
mario4 (hk bootleg)
blaster master
contra
kid icarus
golgo-13, which is THE BEST GAME
duck tails
megaman 3
50-1 cart
100-1 cart (with about 10 real games)

since then i bought PSX (which i gave away to my older bastard brother, along with tony hawk; i was nice) and my lovely dc

oh this is about how long my NES lasted... im not too sure but i remember having to go to the repair shop quite a lot because something went wrong after getting it region mod-ed. x_x

I never even knew their was a mario 4, exept maybe SMW. Could you post some links to screen shots, I would like to see what it looked like.

too bad i dont have access to any of my treasures... but these games are not too hard to find (even nowadays) in certain asian countries. namely hong kong, south korea, and japan. the software pirates have *no* shame. none whatsoever... you'll see them selling pirated games right in front of elementary schools. they dont bother setting up booths/tents/etc; they sit on the floor trying to sell games to little kiddies... i suppose it IS better than selling crack to little kids..right?

well, anyway the SMB4 is what ppl might call "hong kong-original"; not even a bootleg, but completely original (crappy) game made by pirates. but before i get to that, first my SMB3...it wasnt exactly "Super Mario Bros. 3," at least according to the title screen, which simply said "3." plus, you become small mario when u get hit even when you have the flower.
on to SMB4... first, starting with the title screen... no mention of the "m" word; simply a mario sprite and the roman numeral "IV." the game itself was not THAT bad, compared to the quality of most hong kong originals. i dont remember too much details from it, except i think mario looked more of SMB2-ish, and rode a...either kangaroo or ostrich. (damn its been so long; plus i wish i didnt kill so many brain cells over the summer x_x)

and as for the forbidden "r" word, i dont believe ive seen it ANYWHERE. in fact, i dont think someoe actually bothered to dump it. it's probably on a really obscure mapper, too.

Back