sega has emulated the sega saturn but won't share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Originally posted by AntiPasta@Apr 16, 2003 @ 12:35 PM

wonder how the Satourne guys are feeling now
blush.gif

well at least theirs is open source, right?

satourne is still number 1 in many ways, or will be when its released......it says on their site they can run most games at 70 FPS.

whereas this GiriGirihack seems very inconsistent across games, and works very slowly with some games, like nights.

one thing i noticed with this is it makes absoultely no difference with what resolution i run in i still get the same FPS.

Has anyone got Radiant Silvergun running at full speed, i can only get 30-40 FPS.

IF you got it at full speed, what are your system specs and Emualtor settings?

Originally posted by uwfan_us@Apr 16, 2003 @ 10:43 AM

satourne is still number 1 in many ways, or will be when its released......it says on their site they can run most games at 70 FPS.

whereas this GiriGirihack seems very inconsistent across games, and works very slowly with some games, like nights.

one thing i noticed with this is it makes absoultely no difference with what resolution i run in i still get the same FPS.

Has anyone got Radiant Silvergun running at full speed, i can only get 30-40 FPS.

I get full FPS with Radiant Silvergun.. Heck, sometimes it runs a little too fast.. Like 70-100 fps.. Doesn't matter what resolution it's at, it runs at the same speed..

System Spec:

athlon xp 2800+ 2.08@2.2ghertz 380 mhz FSB

1 gig DDR PC3200 ram

Geforce 4 ti 4600 agp

Winxp Pro

I could tell you how to make it run faster..
wink.gif
.. but can't post it here.. Elsewhere maybe..

Originally posted by racketboy+Apr 16, 2003 @ 10:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Apr 16, 2003 @ 10:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-AntiPasta@Apr 16, 2003 @ 12:35 PM

wonder how the Satourne guys are feeling now
blush.gif

well at least theirs is open source, right? [/b][/quote]

No.. Satourne is not open source.. It's plugin based now though, so development should speed up and compatibility will only get better.. Speed will as well.. One thing that Satourne has an advantage, when the new version is released, is that you can enable filtering on all COmputers.. hehe..

Originally posted by fivefeet8+Apr 16, 2003 @ 03:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fivefeet8 @ Apr 16, 2003 @ 03:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-uwfan_us@Apr 16, 2003 @ 10:43 AM

I get full FPS with Radiant Silvergun.. Heck, sometimes it runs a little too fast.. Like 70-100 fps.. Doesn't matter what resolution it's at, it runs at the same speed..

System Spec:

athlon xp 2800+ 2.08@2.2ghertz 380 mhz FSB

1 gig DDR PC3200 ram

Geforce 4 ti 4600 agp

Winxp Pro

I could tell you how to make it run faster..
wink.gif
.. but can't post it here.. Elsewhere maybe.. [/b][/quote]

what do you have for a sound card?

I'm just curious, why can't you tell how to make it faster?

sorry for the link
blush.gif
i thought putting only the name of the site wasn't like a direct link ...

altough, the loader I poke about is really very helpful for those who have problem launching a game
wink.gif

Originally posted by racketboy@Apr 17, 2003 @ 01:58 AM

Because Iceman said so. <_<

Originally posted by mal+Apr 16, 2003 @ 05:10 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Apr 16, 2003 @ 05:10 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Apr 17, 2003 @ 01:58 AM

Because Iceman said so. <_< [/b][/quote]

oh -- what's it have to do with.

seems kinda weird

PM me if you have to mal
smile.gif

Should by any chance Shining Force 3 Scenario 3 run at around 20-30 FPS when a caharacter attacks, on a:

P4 2000Mhz

256 DDRAM

GeForce 4 Ti 4200 120MB

120GB HD

Onboard sound

Motherboard - P4VXASD2

WinXP Pro

Could it be because of the onboard sound?

It says it doesn´t support direct sound when I launch the emu..

But I think it does..

How can I check if the onboard sound has the DirectSound/ Hardware buffering support(?) ??

By any chance does it decrease the graphics of the games or something?

I expected much more of GEFORCE 4 Ti 4200 on the Shining Force 3 scn1 game
sleep.gif

You mean GeForce FX? o_O

Missing 8 MB?

I have seen another guy at another forum having almost the same CPU as mine and was running it perfectly.

He didn´t have onboard sound, tough

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Apr 9, 2003 @ 03:22 AM

Please do not post on how to get so and so game working in a "special" version of this emulator. I don't want any flak from SEGA.

unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif
unsure.gif

Iceman posted this a while back, so I thought I'd just remind people.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Sparda@Apr 16, 2003 @ 05:24 PM

How can I check if the onboard sound has the DirectSound/ Hardware buffering support(?) ??

you can check that by launching the DirectSound Tests in DXDiag (System Info -> Tools ->DirectX Diagnostic)

by the way, does someone here knows a card which support Hardware Buffering ? my SB Live doesn't
sad.gif

(slightly off-topic)

I'm amazed at hearing how many people's computers appear to not have hardware buffering for sound, at least according to Windows... I had this problem a few months back on my aging Compaq w/ Win98SE and its onboard ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive. I know it had always had hardware buffering, as a matter of fact, even DXDiag said so! Then all of a sudden, one day, I discovered it no longer did, and nothing I tried seemed to restore it. Thinking that the ESS chip itself might actually be going gaga, I picked up an SB Live! 5.1 PCI card. Disabled the onboard sound, cleanly removed old drivers, installed the SB ones, went back to DXdiag... And wouldn't you know it - still no hardware buffering.

I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't an issue with more recent releases of DirectX itself.

Any thoughts?

** EDIT **

The moment I hit the submit button, I remembered why this whole thing bugged me so much to begin with
tongue.gif

It was the fact that I could indeed turn hardware acceleration ON, but subsequent DirectSound testing would complete the software-buffer tests fine, then report a failure upon hitting the hardware-buffer tests. This still happens even with my SB Live! 5.1, so I grudgingly went without hardware acceleration. Things do work fine other than that, though... WinAMP practically never skips even under heavy CPU load... Oh, I *hate* mysterious troubles like this
sad.gif

It seems that *true* hardware buffering support isn't considered a "key" feature by most sound card manufactors.

Odd, I tought mid-range cards and higher would support this (I only owned shitty cards). Maybe it's a feature only found in ultra-high/professional level cards today.

Maybe processor speeds and the RAM amount increased so much these years that sound card manufacturers see little point in adding full hardware sound buffering, and let the system handle that instead.

Also, the Saturn sound hardware had some very specialized sound buffer support and functions. Maybe those can take a good chunk on the CPU, but could be routed to the soundcard own soundbuffer hardware, if avaliable.

Originally posted by Taelon@Apr 18, 2003 @ 01:00 AM

Oh, I *hate* mysterious troubles like this
sad.gif

What's even more mysterious is that my setup is almost exactly the same in this respect, yet I have buffering for some reason
blink.gif

I went out and got a SB live 5.1 when I went back to 98SE so I could run DOS games without any sound troubles (didn't like my on-board sound one bit). Had quite a lot of trouble finding drivers for it without the CD, but once I did it's been fine. I take it you're using the CD that came with the card? There might be some subtle difference between my drivers and yours, though I think the guy just diluted what was on the CD and put it in downloadable form. I'd post the link to where I got them, but I can't find the damned place..

I've actually been UNABLE to find SB Live! 5.1 updated drivers for Win98SE on Creative's website... they have all kinds of tools and apps but a simple driver package is nowhere to be found. Which is absolutely ridiculous.

Any luck getting Grandia J to run? I swear, the first time I got it to boot up, it seemed to be running fine, but now, even after re ripping the ISO and re-gentoc, the opening GFX are corrupt, and the movies make the emulator stop working (I decided to let it emu to see if it would start up after the movies were over, but it doesn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back