Truth or fiction?

Jaded God

Established Member
World Exclusive - Sega to return to hardware!

On the 12 th of May, Day 1 of E3, Sega will showcase to the world it's re-entry into the Console hardware arena.

We first reported on a rumour regarding Sega returning to hardware about a month ago, but now the rumour is a reality, Financially revitalised, finally debt free, Sega now firmly belives it has what it takes to rule the roost.

But why you may ask are they doing this? wouldn't it be suicide? well no, not really. You see when Sega was making the dreamcast hardware it was selling an average of between 25-30 million units of software per year. Since going third party that number has always remained in the 6-10 million range. Besides the reason for going third party in the first place was to stop the losses and have a chance to get rid of it's debt (well over a billion dollars). Third party was never a permanent business plan. Did Isao Okawa give away he's life savings to save a software developer? No! re-entering hardware in the next round was always the plan. Did Sammy splash out half a billion dollars just for arcade floor space? No!

What we're trying to get at is that the signs have always been there, but now rejoice!

IT IS TIME FOR THE BIGGEST COMEBACK STORY OF ALL TIME.

*Update* A Sega rep has informed us that the next machine will be of platinum color.

Wednesday, May 12, 2004 10:00-10:30 a.m.

Concourse Hall #151

-- Zach Morris

Editor-in-chief

http://www.freewebs.com/realgamesplayer/insiderscoops.htm

A new console would be stupid. Why enter an already overcrowded marketplace, 4 next gen consoles out at one time is too much.

The co-development idea sounds more likely.

You know, Sega better not be bankrolling on their die-hard fanbase. I'm still irritated from them pulling the DC with so little fanfare, shortly after pulling the Saturn and 32X (both of which were obstensively junk, but hey).

Besides, axelblazeadam is right. There are already 3 very well established consoles. Sega has been out of the marketplace for a very long time and their name doesn't have as much of a value as it once did (its zenith, arguably, during the 16-bit era).

There is a positive for it, I suppose, and that is all the Sega titles would be on the sega system. However, don't forget that since the DC lacked third party support, Sega was stretched to the limit to meet the demands of all the genres on its own. We all saw how that failed.

If Sega were to come out with another console, we would definetely see companies working even harder to lock up third party developers. MS, most certainly would work harder. The 2nd spot is theirs to lose, since Nintendo isn't the force it once was.

I know there are other people on this board who have been clamoring for a Sega system (with good cause, I know), but I'm not one of them. So I'll be the cynic, and take this with a grain of salt.

Hopefully, if it is a new system, it's a joint venture w/ the big N. I wouldn't need another console if so, haha. I have been waiting for something liek this since the early 90's, lets see how it works out....

Maybe SEGA is gunna release their own pokemon-esque game.....except w/ Chao-based animals, haha. WOuldn't that make everyone go "WTF!?".

I hope if they are teaming with anyone, it is Nintendo. Sega could definatly add some more power to the system. Especially if they were to go third party exclusive.

The best thing Sega could do for its fanbase is have at least one console in which all its games are released on, so there's no need to buy every console to play every Sega game.

As well as "*Update* A Sega rep has informed us that the next machine will be of platinum color."

That alone just sounds so phony and very much like "HEY D00D, DID YOU HEAR? MY UNCLE AT SEGA TOLD ME THE NEW CONSOLE WILL HAVE 512 BITS!!!111!!11!1!!!"

I'll wait till the E3, but IF Sega is going to develop a new console.

I'm the first one to import one!

nights 2, shenmue III, sega rally 3,

just on one console....

sounds great to me!

Back