You are trapped in a Zombie infested city

Even a compact car (ones made within the past couple of decades anyway) has a curb weight of at least 2000 pounds. Since the front of the car isn't incredibly wide, it's unlikely you'll be making contact with more than 4 or 5 Zombie's at once. Assuming the average zombie weighs no more than 200 pounds, the car has at least a 2:1 mass advantage before you take into account the occupants of the car. As long as the car isn't underpowered I don't see a real problem plowing down a horde of zombies.

You're assuming that there's nothing behind those 4-5 zombies. Sure, the car has more mass than a few zombies, but not a huge crowd of them all bunched up against one another. Aside from that, a compact car would lack the wheels and suspension necessary to drive _over_ all those zombies, and thus would get stuck pretty quickly. That's why something like a tank or a monster truck would be preferable.

Well I offered the compact car as a weight reference, not as an ideal zombie mobile. I was thinking something more along the lines of a midsized sedan. A bit more mass and a bit more ground clearance.

For them to move properly (well at least as properly as a zombie can move) they can't be right pushed up against each other.

Zombies are fairly squishable and unless the car bottoms out at least one of the drive wheels should be making contact with something it can push against (of course without traction control you really need both wheels and finding a car with both traction control and no crumple-zones could be difficult).

If you had to you could build up speed and yank the handbrake on a tight turn to swing the back end around like a giant bat taking out a few of them each time.

Large trucks and tanks tend to run on diesel which is typically even harder to find than gasoline in a city. Ignoring fuel though, a snow plow would probably be the best.

Yeah, a snow plow would be good. I guess it just depends on the situation really. I was thinking of a scenario like that in Dawn of the Dead (remake), where the zombies are packed together as tightly as people in a packed concert. I don't think a sedan would be too useful in that situation, depending on how much room you had to accelerate before you hit the crowd. I'm thinking a modified street sweeper with blades attached to the brush wheels would be pretty sweet as well.

Oh, now that would be cool. How about a snow plow with a razor sharp blade? =Somwthing where you could just drive through the zombies.

Back