Am I being reasonable?

Curtis

Established Member
About two months ago I won an item on ebay. Nothing fancy or expensive, it was just a toy plane that looked quite fun - the transaction was worth about $44AUD including postage. Anyway, I was expecting delivery to take about two or three weeks as per the item description (I'll keep names and items out of this for now). Several weeks pass and no item shows up, so I send the guy who sold me an item an email:

Hi, I won and paid for this item nearly a month ago, and it has not yet arrived. Can you confirm that you recieved payment and had the item shipped? Any info appreciated.

When he responds, I'm a little peeved:

Hi mate,

We are in the process of shipping out these orders, as we ran out of stock a while ago.

You WILL get your item in the next few weeks.

Thanks!

What? You didn't even have the item you sold me? Weeks? I let it slide since I was tired and busy and a few more weeks pass. Still nothing arrives, so I send another email to him:

Hello again,

It's been over two weeks since your last email and I have still not recieved the plane. If you can not tell me the date it was shipped, I would like to request a refund please.

This email he ignores. He didn't even grace me with a response to this one. In the mean time, I'm watching his feedback and noting that he's giving a few people refunds for items not received. I let another two weeks pass and notice that someone in the exact same situation as me left the guy negative feedback. This inspires me to email the seller once more asking for a refund:

It's been over two months since I won this item. It has not arrived. You ignored or otherwise did not get my last email, so I am asking you for a refund. I have a hard time believing you sold me an item you did not have, yet here we are. I will provide my banking details when you respond to this email so that you can transfer my money as soon as possible.

Now I wouldn't call that particularly rude, especially given the timeframe and total lack of communications from the seller. Curt, yes. Direct, yes. Rude, not really. I feel justifiably pissed, though I try to be reasonable about it. The seller seems to disagree. I recieved his response very quickly after the third email:

Yeh ok, stop blowing the matter out of proportion, stick to mainstream civil e-commerce dealing. I’ll give you a refund if you provide me with sufficient information, otherwise calm down and stop trying to make a big deal out of literally nothing.

I was bemused to read his response. Blowing the matter out of proportion? Stick to mainstream e-commerce? I want what I paid for, didn't get it and want my money back. Still he has offered to refund. My response:

"Blowing the matter out of proportion" would be me reporting you to eBay for fraud, which I'm not going to do. It's a small amount of money, yes, but it's still my money. People purchase from eBay with a fair degree of trust - I trusted that you actually had the item you sold. Maybe you had some bad luck with suppliers, but I note that you never once apologised for my item being late, nor attempted to contact me about the situation.

Meh...no matter. Done is done. Account details are:

Best of luck in your future business deals.

I figured that that would settle it, but the seller decided that I was still an insolent pup in need of a lecture:

Good try, but your wrong again, I’ll correct you and still refund your money so no problems J Reporting me to eBay for fraud will get you NOWHERE as not only do they not care, I can control the outcome. People DO NOT PURCHASE FROM EBAY WITH A FAIR DEGREE OF TRUST, and if you do, then that’s your own inherent fault for trusting people you can’t see. Even the most experienced know that buying something on the internet is risky business and is a risk the consumer takes (I’m not implying that I am an not a trustworthy seller). In the meantime, calm down and don’t get so worked up over something that will fix itself if you give it time.

I've left it at that. Obviously he is far more knowledgable about such things and corrects my previous mistakes. :wanker

Now do you people think that it's reasonable to get what you paid for when you pay for it, or am I just a whinging arsehole? Anyone else with similar experiences?

You are being MORE than reasonable, and nothing but polite. I don't know the exchanges rates, but I believe if you filed a claim for that item, after the service fee, your refund would be almost zero. But you should still file a claim and neg him just to get him kicked off of eBay. Bad sellers always like to make you think they have the upper hand in these type of situations. However, sadly enough you probably will never see that money again. All you can do is complain a lot and maybe he will refund you.

You're right - filing with eBay for my money would net me about half what I paid. It's not worth it for $20. He has given other refunds so I expect he will do the same for me, though I won't know until monday or tuesday. To be fair, if he refunds my money I'll only leave neutral feedback. As much as it irritates me, I wouldn't have much cause to leave negative feedback...

jsut add rude into the neutral feedback or sumthin like that. This guy is a prick obviously and if I knew him in real life, he'd be one of those kids I wanna hit. Oh well, goodluck w/ gettin yer money back. Hope all goes well Curtis :).

Mostly positive. The negative/neutral stuff only seems to have arrived in the last few months. His rating is 75 at the moment - 95% positive.

Even if he does refund your money, I'd still neg him. That's what a negative rating is for, you had a negative experience with that seller. "Sold item did not have, 2 months to get refund. BAD SELLER!!!" would suffice. Chances are, he'll neg you back, but that's the risk of doing eBay. Just use the reply feature, and maybe even put the messages both ways up online and state where to find them (but not a link or the full URL).

I'd say you're not being reasonable at all. In fact, you're being so unreasonably nice, it's ridiculous. You should find out where he lives and have him "disappeared".

Seriously, I'd leave negative feedback. Not to be a jerk, but to help your fellow ebayer. If nobody gave bad sellers negatives, how the heck would I know if I was dealing with a flaming a-hole?

Yeah I guess. :)

Xavier, you won't have to worry about crossing paths with him as he only sells in Australia. In fact I don't think he's listed an item in the two months this has been going on.

Re the feedback, I might leave negative but not until he has refunded me. No point in pissing an irrational person off more than they need. ;)

Originally posted by Curtis@Jul 10, 2004 @ 11:42 PM

Re the feedback, I might leave negative but not until he has refunded me. No point in pissing an irrational person off more than they need. ;)

LOL, of course!

I have had the same issues with people on ebay or on some dvd selling sites. You were being more than patient.

After you get your money that's when you slam the negative feedback, NOT neutral. Report fraud too if you feel necessary also.

I had to report USPS mail fraud and fraud with the official governments page to finally get products from a seller.

You are being totally patient. This guy is just an asshole and these are the people who ruin ebay and peoples' trust in online shopping.

GIVE ME HIS EMAIL ADDRESS... oooh ill hunt him down and bash his head in with a baseball bat and chew out his throat... just threatening that got my older brother whos a marine to move the fuch out my house. If i actually do it to this guy ill even be able to get the plane and more for you and ill even ship it for free

Problem solvered. :)

He finally refunded me and to thank him I left him this little (negative) gem:

Over 2 months later no item, but grudging refund. Limited-to-nil communication.

All completely factual and should warn others of his practices. I think he's stopped using eBay anyway, so the issue of probably moot.

Originally posted by Curtis@Jul 17, 2004 @ 11:36 AM

Problem solvered. :)

He finally refunded me and to thank him I left him this little (negative) gem:

Over 2 months later no item, but grudging refund. Limited-to-nil communication.

All completely factual and should warn others of his practices. I think he's stopped using eBay anyway, so the issue of probably moot.

Excellent. You've driven the bastard off ebay single-handedly! (OK, well just pretend you did)

Back