Any good shooters on new systems?

I tried out R-Type final at game crazy, sine R-type was one of the premier shooters of the 80's, I thought it was a chance to get a nice old-school shooter game with a graphics upgrade on a new system.

But I thought the game was awful. Enemies were few and boring. The background was just FMV off of a 1st gen CD-ROM shooter. At least with a first-person FMV shooter like Microcosm, the FMV really shows you where you are traveling. But having the background twisting and turning all over the place in a side-scrolling shooter is just annoying. And the bosses were nothing special.

Maybe I just missed something. Because I just checked all the reviews on gamefaqs, and it has unaniimous 9/10 ratings. People can't say enough good stuff about it.

I was also looking at Gradius V. A couple people have recomended it to me. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet, nobody has it in used. How does that stack up to the good old shooters of old?

There's also a silpheed for ps2. I actually picked it up becuause they had a buy-1-get-1 free at toys 'r' us, but I haven't played it yet. But I loved the original slipheed on SegaCD.

I'm just wondering if there are any good shooters on new consoles (like PS2 and dreamcast). Some of the dreamcast shooters I've looked at just seem to try to pile on as much junk and explosions on-screen at once as the system allows. And some don't even have any special-weapons or power-ups. It's like the boring hack-n-slash games in shooter-format.

I'd love to find some games that have old-school quality fun/replayability/gameplay to them, but are upgraded with the latest graphics and sound. Are there any? Not just shooters, even fighters or platformers would be nice. Is that new contra game any good? (not the legacy of war one, that blew chunks).

Thanks,

JMT.

Gradius V is way better than R-Type Final. Final was a disappointment to everybody. Also, avoid Silpheed for PS2 like the plague. It sucks.

Here are some good PS2 and DC shooters to check out (aside from Gradius V and Ikaruga, both of which are great):

Dodonpachi Dai-ou-jou

ESP Galuda

Shikigami no Shiro 2

Psyvariar 2

Zero Gunner 2

Mars Matrix

Gunbird 2

edit - oh yeah, and if you're looking for the Contra feel, you can't go wrong with Alien Hominid, or, of course, Metal Slug 3. I haven't played Neo Contra, but Shattered Soldier is pretty good and more of a 'true' Contra game anyway.

I really felt too, that R-Type final was way too slow. Not to mention the awful slowdown in it during gameplay/

Psyvariar 1 has great gameplay but lacks a bit graphically but just make sure that you get the complete edition with Psyvariar Medium Unit and Psyvariar Revision

Psyvariar 2 for DC is also very good, but the "buzz" system sometimes feels a bit labored

Shikigami no Shiro 2 kicks ass, but avoid the original, it is too slow.

Chaos Field really didn't do anything for me, actually i was left very dissapointed. Each level plays with 3 boses only, no smaller enemy ships. It feels a little unfinished

XII Stag isn't that great, the scoring system is very hard to get used too and way too impractical to make the game addictive.

ESP Galuda is "bullet hell" and designed for unemployed japanese college students.

I'm not shure if you have it in the US, but it is called "Steel Dragon EX" out here, it is the same as the Japanese title "The Shienryu Double". It contains the original saturn version as well as a new version of the game which feels ery polished.

Strikers 1+2 for the PS2 is an absolute rubbish conversion.

Zero Gunner 2 breaths new life into the genre and is an excellent investment.

Thats it for now, unless we see a home conversion of the excellent Guwange. But the best of this generation has to go to Ikaruga, (gameplay distilled and aged 15 years :D )

The best shooter I ever played was BorderDown so many details and awesome gameplay top notch and the best part no crazy gimmicks like the ones you see in Psyvariar or Chaos Field.

Yeah kinda, I liked the borders idea too great stuff. Was BorderDown G.Rev´s first game? Never heard of them untill BD.

I think they've done one or two small-release games before Border Down. It seems a few G.Rev staff also assisted with Gradius V, so they may have connections to Konami and/or Treasure...

edit: rumor has it that they're ex-Taito.

Yup, ex-taito

I forgot to mention broder down, hard as nails and very underated. The soundtrack though didn't do much for me.

G. Rev's staff once worked on the Darius games. Hence the Darius-looking design of the BD ship.

Back