anyone ever replace a Master System game battery?

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to replace a memory backup battery for an old Master System game.

I obtained a copy of Phantasy Star I as part of lot of games and parts I purchased. The copy is new in the box. (Hard to believe, I know, but it had been in storage, never opened. There were also new copies of Fantasy Zone 1 and 3, Ghost House, Teddy Boy, and a NIB US Genesis Power Base converter too.)

Anyway, I fired the game up and it works, of course, but unfortunately, battery inside has gone dead. (I think it's because it was never used before and so the battery went stale.) I opened the cartridge to take a look and it uses a fairly standard-looking 3V lithium ion rechargeable battery. In fact, it was actually a Sony brand battery inside the Sega cartridge. I looked through some old posts in this forum and found that some people had attempted replacing Genesis and SNES batteries, so I was wondering if maybe anyone has successfully attempted putting a new battery in a SMS cartridge. It looks like the clips that hold the battery in place are "permanent", so I'm guessing I'd need to remove the assembly somehow and connect a new one in.

I can't comment on exactly what is the correct approach to the battery replacement there, but I remember once I had to replace a watch battery, and it was held down by 2 clamps with tiny screws. A watch screwdriver set is the only thing I know of that is small enough for those tiny screw heads. The challenge is also cross-referencing a replacement battery. I think the internet helps there though, because if you search for the original brands ie. SOny assuming they still make batteries for watches etc, there would be a website probably with a cross-reference chart. A vendor in my city also offered to match it to whatever they had in stock.

I haven't replaced a battery for SMS, but I have done plenty of SNES and Genesis, and a few NES ones. Are you sure it's actually a rechargeable battery? That would be very uncommon for a cartridge. The only battery type I've seen in any of the above is a regular CR2032 battery. About the little clips, they are probably soldered onto the battery. It's possible to buy a battery with clips already attached, but what I have done in the past is very carefully pry the battery from the clips using a screwdriver, and then simply stick a new battery in its place, holding it down with electrical tape. Of course, electrical tape is kinda rough for a nice cart like the one you've got.

As an aside, I can't believe you opened that thing, although I'm sure it was a nice experience to do so. ;)

Originally posted by it290@Thu, 2005-11-10 @ 06:23 PM

As an aside, I can't believe you opened that thing, although I'm sure it was a nice experience to do so. ;)

[post=141599]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah thats what I was thinking, Id have a hard time opening up such a rare gem!

Back