Anyone read any good manga lately?

Dud

Established Member
It's probably debatable whether this thread should be in the anime forum or not, but since a lot of popular mangas get an anime I thought it was closely related enough. Anyway, aside from Cowboy Bebop I could never really get into anime but I really like reading manga. Does anyone else enjoy the manga? I suppose I'll go into what I've read. Just a fair warning everything I recommend has violence, sex, violent sex, sexual violence, some strong language, and possibly sexual language, and violent language.

Koroshiya-1 (Ichi the Killer)

-The Takashi Miike movie was good, but the original manga is even better. Asano's Kakihara from the movie version is probably more likeable but the character is still ultimately the same, and probably my favorite anti-hero of all time. If you liked the movie, but thought the pacing was too fast, or thought it was just plain confusing (especially the ending, which is much different in the manga) you should give it a read. It's only ten volumes.

Berserk

-This manga probably has some of the best artwork I've ever seen in a comic book. I thought it was really good, extremely dark, great characters, but the main problem with it is it doesn't seem like it is ever going to end. I stopped reading after volume 15. I think the story would be so much more memorable if it was tweaked to end after the key plot development in volumes 12-13. It would definitely make for the most sadistic ending of all time, if you know what I mean. I've totally lost interest in it.

MPD-Psycho

-This one was another that I thought started off strong but lost it's way in later volumes. I read the first six (I believe it's up to volume 10 or something now). At first it was a great detective story about a guy with multiple personalities, then it turned into a cliched anime style story about some group trying to create a bio-weapon out of a little girl.

Homunculus

-This is anothe Hideo Yamamoto manga (Voyeur, Koroshiya-1). It is currently at volume 5, and so far I think it is his best work. It's pretty thought-provoking stuff, basically this guy gets trepanned (a hole drilled through your forehead) and it realeases pressure on his brain allowing more blood to flow giving him some mind-reading abilities. This is my favorite of everything I mention here.

Jiraishin

-I've read the first 17 volumes, this is a quality series, my 2nd or 3rd favorite. It's a cop story about Kyoya Ida, who is extremely cold and efficient. You can kind of tell what it's like just by the previouis sentence really.

I read Ghost in the Shell - Man Machine Interface not too long ago. Good read, but damn, I need to read it again -- talk about a convoluted plot!

edit - oh, btw, can you recommend anything with violent sexual language?

actaully... berserk has picked up a new twist. In that gatsu now has an armor that anytime he gets enraged basically will let him fight until either he dies or they die. It'll hold his bones in place as they're broken, and he loses all control of his body. It did get kind of boring for a while, but I can't wait for volume 29 in august.

Originally posted by it290+Wed, 2005-07-06 @ 12:28 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(it290 @ Wed, 2005-07-06 @ 12:28 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>edit - oh, btw, can you recommend anything with violent sexual language?

[post=136382]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

Actually I think Ichi the Killer has some of that. I knew I forgot something.

<!--QuoteBegin-Scared0o0Rabbit
@Tue, 2005-07-12 @ 01:06 AM

actaully... berserk has picked up a new twist. In that gatsu now has an armor that anytime he gets enraged basically will let him fight until either he dies or they die. It'll hold his bones in place as they're broken, and he loses all control of his body. It did get kind of boring for a while, but I can't wait for volume 29 in august.

[post=136626]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

Hmm, I may have to pick it up again then.

Additionally, what I'm really looking forward to now is the conclusion to Jiraishin; this is one of the best series I've ever read.

Back