Chrono Trigger - Game of the day - 02 August 2002

Well here's NX's own version of SX's very popular Game of the Day thread.

I thought we'd start if off with one of my favourite RPGs on one of my favourite consoles.

Chrono Trigger is easily the best Squaresoft RPG I've ever played. The graphics were great for its time and the story line, multiple paths/endings and battles were second to none.

Definitely one of the few games that deserved to be played through time after time.

That game was awesome. Never finished it though :(
I remember the music as being REALLY cool. The story line was very good and the animations for the time were very nice.

(now you see why I don't do any reviews)

The only thing I didn't like was the way that most of the sprites would "Moonwalk" whilst standing still.

It was a problem with a lot of Square games IIRC.

Yeah, Square certainly hit their stride during the snes days!I was very happy when Chrono Trigger was re-released on PS.Time travel certainly was a very cool aspect of the game.The only thing i didnt like about the game was the Normal Battle music, man was it horrid, so repetitive.Otherwise great game and i could always mute the TV when the Normal battle music came on.(which i did)

I havn't played it yet, but thanks to me selling off one of my copies of PDS, I will soon be getting a copy (as well as Ikaruga, and a new mod chip for my saturn).

Speaking of Chrono Trigger on the PS, those Final Fantasy remakes have got me really wound up. The loading times are unavoidable so I don't mind that too much, but the borders on the PAL version are easily the most ridiculous I have ever seen on a game. The 'cinematic cutscenes' mentioned on the box don't crop up throughout the game but only at the beginning and end and are just a mash-up of parts of the game. I'm talking of Final Fantasy VI here but I've heard the other's are the same. Rereleasing them was such a cool idea, I would've thought Square would put a bit more effort into them.

Rant over :)

Back to the topic, I particularly like the way Crono stands with his sword in the battles. Kinda silly but it's the little details that do it for me.

I agree. Best RPG ever, still to this day.

The time travel concepts were awesome, and the gameplay ahead of it's time.

Incredible music and graphics. You just can't say enough about this one. Square in the good old days. :)

Back