Cotton 2 & Boomerang

Borisz

Ban Hammered
Cotton 2 & Boomerang

Anyone knows:

a. what are the exact key combinations for combos? Like b,f,A,b,A,f,A,f,A. There has to be tons more. you can link the special moves, the above one will do a 6-shoots-in-a-row, then a 3-shot forward with different angles, then releases 6 shots in a circular motion upwards and downwards (like the hcf A moves, but in both ways), then sends out a charge dragon. Oh yea, and only works in Boomerang, not in C2. They have slightly different moves, with C2 having more variations, like you can get rid of your energy crystals without unleashing a special power attack. Heck, I don't even know all of those combinations.

b. how many art gallery pics are in Cotton Boomerang? I unlocked tons already, and I still get new pics after beating the game.

That, and if anyone could send me the instruction manuals of these two games which probably has all of these and more. I'm just addicted to this game, I want to learn more about it.

Cotton 2 & Boomerang

I don't really have any answers to your questions, but I just wanted to thank you for your work on that site and for sharing all that good stuff. I am a huge Cotton fan myself, and having that entire gallery on my computer is seriously a dream come true.

I have played way more of Cotton 2 than Cotton Boomerang, and I don't have access to as many gallery photos as you do, so I can't tell you if there are any more.

I could be wrong about this, but I think you have all the information for the controls of Cotton 2. The instruction manual certainly doesn't say anything more (sorry, can't scan it to you). If you want to expand your guide, which is already very good, I suggest you deal with the subjects of chaining, rainbow-bonus-orbs, and everything having to do with enemies trapped in magic balls. There's quite a lot to all that, and I think a beginner could really use the guidance.

Let me ask you this: Does a score of 30 million in Cotton 2 (arcade) sound outrageous to you? I've heard this talked about before, and I'm inclined to think that it is a rumor, or possibly that Success changed something in the scoring system when they brought Cotton 2 to the Saturn. I've been playing this game for well over a year now, I can almost 1CC it on default settings, and I can pull off some very remarkable chains. However, I just don't see where those points are supposed to come from. Frankly, it would take a super-human effort just to get half that. If 30 million is possible, I must be missing something huge.

Finally, how did you capture all those pictures, anyway? I wasn't aware of any emulator that could properly run either Cotton 2 or Cotton Boomerang...

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Cotton 2 & Boomerang

SSF (version 0.06 alpha 4) can run the games perfectly, however, it draws the hires pics interlaced (which is how they are in the actual saturn), so you can only do screencaps for still pics like the art gallery. the game itself is lores so it was easy to get those. Now if I could rip them animated...

There's a manual on the Cotton 2 disc in japanese that has the point system written down, but I haven't looked into it yet. I'd imagine you could rack up huge combos is you keep shooting one orb in front of you, I think it gives you 100 000 points after every 10 hits you get above 100+ hits. Combine that with the fact that if it hits the ceiling it will count as another hit, and you can get some incredible combos - in Boomerang, I did a 234 hit on one of the tunnels on the last stage.

You can also use the same orb and chain it to every enemy on the screen to get ridiculous points as well.

In Boomerang, I could get about 7 or 8 million after getting through the game in one credit.

For Cotton Boomerang, web.archive.org has most of the old website of it up, so I could check everything I needed. There are 68 gallery pics in total, all of them are up on the site.

for the chain combos, I plan on writing up how the different orbs behave, like Ice orbs just fall down while wind orbs fly away and so on. I'll also write up some of the control system later on. and of course Tea Time.

http://evilboris.greg2k.com/stuff/tea/

Cotton 2 & Boomerang

Wow, can you really 1CC Cotton Boomerang? That's crazy! I've never made it past stage 4 in one credit. That is one tough game.

That system of getting 100,000 points after the 100th shot at an encased enemy must only work in Cotton Boomerang, because I know it doesn't work in Cotton 2. It doesn't matter how many links you've gotten with the orb, either, the ceiling is still 10,000 points, which is reached at the 100th shot. Every 10th shot after that is still just 10k again.

Cotton 2 & Boomerang

it might be just 10k. I don't remember. In Boomerang, just use Cotton 1, Appli 1 and Cotton 3 combo, Appli being the most powerful. Ice will bounce back from walls, so just do the combo shots over and over and you'll destroy everything easily, including bosses. Also make sure you use Changes and Bombs on bosses. The fire dragon combo can also be used to push the magic orbs to walls to rack up ridiculous hit counts earning huge points (20-30 hits in one combo).

Cotton 2 & Boomerang

Well, 7 or 8 million is a great score for Cotton Boomerang even with all the extra bonus opportunies that it has over Cotton 2. You have obviously learned it well.

Do you play Cotton 2 very much? Serious or even half-serious Cotton 2 players are very hard to come by these days, so I'm always happy to talk to someone about it in depth. Even though I've been playing it for over a year now, I still have a lot to learn. Maybe it's time to put the ol' Japanese major to use and translate that document on the CD. :banana I had never actually looked at it before, but I see now that I should probably spend some time looking at it, at least. I'll let you know if I find anything.

EDIT: Do you think a score of 30 million would be possible in Cotton Boomerang? That makes a little more sense to me than 30m in Cotton 2, but then again I don't know CB well enough to make a good guess.

Cotton 2 & Boomerang

I don't play C2 much as its kinda boring after the crazyness in Boomerang.

a 30 million score is... I dunno, you would have to play the game perfectly for every damn frame on the Saturn versions. Or rack up some insane scores with the orbs or in some other way. Or the game just gives you a huge extra bonus if you collect all of the Teapots in Tea Time. It might be possible but it seems a bit crazy.

Back