CPU and case temperatures

I have a p4 2.4 533 bus.. my websurfing and idle states the CPU is at around 32-36 and the case temp is about 28-29.

While using tmpenc to encode a movie at the highest priority the temp of the CPU went up to 49 and the case was at 31, after 20 mins it stabalized at that temperature. I dont have anything over clocked and i only use air cooling and the heat sink that came with the processor. All temperatures are in Celciius..

So are these pretty much normal or average temps?

Your case temp at idle should be at best 1-3 degrees higher then the temp in the room. If it's higher more case fans will help drop it. Anything under 60 for CPU is fine though. Case temp isn't really that important anyway but if it gets too high the CPU temp might go up since the case doesn't have any cool air to cool down the heatsink. Again more case fans is the solution.

But the numbers you have are perfectly fine and you shouldn't worry.

Gallstaff, what is your facination with using Farenheit for PC temps?

Just curious.

I can't do the conversion in my head to celcius, so it's always hard to relate your temps to mine

haha ya, use celcius....I have always wondered why in all threads you always use farenheit while everyone else is using celcius. Crazy kid...

You think i fucking know celcius? If something says like 40 degrees celcius, I dont know if thats hot or cold or what so farenheit is easier cause i know how it actually feels.

so, if u are comparing to other ppl when they are using celcius....and they say 40 celcius is fine, then you would know that u are in the good. I really dont know either...but 119 seems pretty damn high idle. u have it overclocked? All stuff stock (cooling and stuff) runs at like 35 which I think is about 90-95 farenheit.

Like you know what is a hot temp for a CPU in Farenheit of the top of your head.

"Gee I wouldn't want my room to be that hot! I guess I better underclock my CPU!"

Ok thanks, I just wanted to make sure all is well.. I have one more space for a fan so ill probably get another one pretty soon just to help things out. The only thing i hate about my case (its and enermax) is that there isnt alot of open space for the fans to suck in or blow out air except for the side fan.. Iv been thinking about gettng a drill or something and making the openings a bit bigger along with getting some higher rpm fans.

of course my blue led fan in the window will hafta stay.. :rolleyes:

oh and for a way to kinda gauge celcius temps just remember 0 is the freezing point and 100 is the boiling pt. and 36 or 37 is like the normal body temp.. So if u remember these pts it makes it easier to relate the numbers to what you are used to.

Remember for case fans to have the fans on the back and top of the case blowing out and the ones on the front and side blowing in. Also having 5 fans blowing in and 2 blowing out is bad since there is only so much air that can be moved inside the case, so in this example the 5 fans blowing in wouldn't be going at full capacity.

And yes when it comes to CPU temps celcius is the norm. Hell even Intel and AMD use it for thier spec sheets.

When it comes to the world, outside of the USA, Celsius the the norm. I always wished the US would stop trying to be original and use metric and celsius.

Originally posted by Gallstaff@Feb 6, 2004 @ 09:35 AM

You think i fucking know celcius? If something says like 40 degrees celcius, I dont know if thats hot or cold or what so farenheit is easier cause i know how it actually feels.

I get where Gallstaff is coming from.

At first I thought it was really odd hearing a bunch of Americans were quoting temperatures in celcius.

Originally posted by schi0249@Feb 6, 2004 @ 10:33 AM

When it comes to the world, outside of the USA, Celsius the the norm. I always wished the US would stop trying to be original and use metric and celsius.

Hehe I'd say it's the other way around. The rest of the world got rid of imperial for metric long ago. The US is just too damn stuborn to realize it's better.

Not all of the us is too stubborn, it's just getting the stuborn ones to change that's the problem lol.

My pc stays stable at around 39* C at 100% cpu. I've been at 100% for about a week now lol. Thank you thermalright sk7 and panaflo !

In all seriousness, my mom has a volcano 11, and she has a 2000+ while I have a 2600+, and her pc is in a room that stays cooler, and her pc runs hotter than mine, with less stuff in it. Thermaltake isn't the company you are looking for </force>

ok -- how high is too high?

I have my alerts to let me know if mine goes over 66 for the CPU.

Is that too high? When I do xvid encoding and something else intensive during the day it reached 67. Should I worry about that?

Back