dev setup

OK here we go...

I'd like to take some experiment on SS writing stuff, and testing it on real hardware, but i have nothing.

I need an action replay/game shark and a comms link interface (or a standard parallel port and a freewing interface right?)

some question:

1) what's the difference between AR and game shark?, which firmware is better?

2) with freewing what software i have to use? It depend on the card i have?

Thanks ANY

You don't _require_ an AR\Game Shark. You can code and test your binaries on an emulator (Yabause, Satourne, etc). There are even people who would advise against deving with a commslink: http://forums.segaxtreme.net/index.php?showtopic=16710. You can do some fancier stuff with teh commslink card such as manipulating interrupts (or so I'm told), but if all you want to do is basic C coding stuff then I recommend coding and testing on your PC. If you want to test on real hardware there is a way to burn your binaries to CD and run them on the Saturn.

If your running Windows start here: Saturn Orbit

If your running Linux start here:Linux Dev

Originally posted by slinga@Wed, 2005-10-05 @ 09:32 PM

You don't _require_ an AR\Game Shark. You can code and test your binaries on an emulator (Yabause, Satourne, etc). There are even people who would advise against deving with a commslink: http://forums.segaxtreme.net/index.php?showtopic=16710. You can do some fancier stuff with teh commslink card such as manipulating interrupts (or so I'm told), but if all you want to do is basic C coding stuff then I recommend coding and testing on your PC. If you want to test on real hardware there is a way to burn your binaries to CD and run them on the Saturn.

If your running Windows start here: Saturn Orbit

If your running Linux start here:Linux Dev

[post=140315]Quoted post[/post]​

I know but i need to test some stuff on real hardware so the working on emu isn't the right way.

I've just buy a couple of saturn for the work... and i've to dump mpeg rom for st-v game sport fishing so i need a real link between saturn and a pc...

Any

Originally posted by any@Wed, 2005-10-05 @ 10:53 PM

and i've to dump mpeg rom for st-v game sport fishing so i need a real link between saturn and a pc...

You should of said so earlier. I thought you were a noob. :p Better wait for one of the experts to help you.

Originally posted by any@Thu, 2005-10-06 @ 02:53 AM

... and i've to dump mpeg rom for st-v game sport fishing so i need a real link between saturn and a pc...

[post=140316]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't know if I understand you right. Do you want to use the commslink connection on a ST-V board?

For dumping the MPEG ROM, CyberWarriorX made an app for that. It's included in SaturnOrbit(I think), but can be found in this forum, too. Or download it just here: [attachmentid=1520] :D .

The benefits which require a commslink to dev are:

- debugger on real hardware

- 68K debugger

- in-game communication between your Saturn program and PC

- dumping memory / save games

- your computer is too slow to run Saturn emulators and burning CD-RW's is too slow, too

In all other cases, just like slinga said, I recommend testing minor updates with an emu and to test major updates on real hardware using CD-RW.

Attachments

• mpgromdump.zip
    39.9 KB · Views: 138
Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Thu, 2005-10-06 @ 03:53 AM

I don't know if I understand you right. Do you want to use the commslink connection on a ST-V board?

For dumping the MPEG ROM, CyberWarriorX made an app for that. It's included in SaturnOrbit(I think), but can be found in this forum, too. Or download it just here: [attachmentid=1520] :D .

The benefits which require a commslink to dev are:

- debugger on real hardware

- 68K debugger

- in-game communication between your Saturn program and PC

- dumping memory / save games

- your computer is too slow to run Saturn emulators and burning CD-RW's is too slow, too

In all other cases, just like slinga said, I recommend testing minor updates with an emu and to test major updates on real hardware using CD-RW.

[post=140341]Quoted post[/post]​

i'll dump the rom using the saturn with CyberWarriorX app, but the problem is i can't find a cooms card anywhere!!!

i've find hundred of so called 4in1 cards but nowhere the comms link card, well really i've found in a couple of store, but they didn't have the 4in1 card... i'll try to buy card and cart from the same shop to save shipping :p

can someone help?

Thanks ANY

Don't just look under the saturn sections of sites looking for the commlink. You'll probably sooner find one looking under the psx section(be aware that the cards can be used interchangeably between saturn, psx, and iirc n64 as well).

Cyber Warrior X

Back